Sheriff demos ineffectiveness of magazine restrictions

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Sheriff demos ineffectiveness of magazine restrictions

Post by A-R »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RoyGBiv

Re: Sheriff demos ineffectiveness of magazine restrictions

Post by RoyGBiv »

Jim was sandbagging the 2 x 15... and the 1 x 20...
I think that hurts credibility somewhat, but Christie was a good example all the way through.

The real impact was exposing the "tackle during reload" fantasy starting at 10 minutes.
And the "100 year old pistol" test at 12:30

Overall a good video for dispelling myths. :thumbs2:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

That is a good demonstration that brings the fantasy world to the real world.

Thanks for posting.
Chas.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E.Marquez »

Nice job, wish they would have added a revolver set up as well.
Average shooter, not a world champ, and common speed loaders.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

E.Marquez wrote:Nice job, wish they would have added a revolver set up as well.
A crazed gunman will mot likely be using a single revolver and speed loaders. They will use multiple weapons. I would have like to have seen the lady shoot the same method. Still think it would have been remarkably fast.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

CodeJockey

Post by CodeJockey »

It looked to me though, that they didn't empty the magazines between reloads, which would have improved the time since she wouldn't have had to release the slide. The only time I saw it emptied was on the last round. Did I miss something?
Always watch your six!
NRA Life Member

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

Point made! Too bad though. Most gun control advocates don't really care about the facts.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Keith B wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:Nice job, wish they would have added a revolver set up as well.
A crazed gunman will mot likely be using a single revolver and speed loaders. They will use multiple weapons. I would have like to have seen the lady shoot the same method. Still think it would have been remarkably fast.
I think a crazed gunman will use what they can get their hands on...assuming all proposed bans go in to effect, all semi Auto weapons are banned and turned in, all Mag feed weapons neutered or banned , what have you.. What the crazed gunman will have left, is revolvers and a widely available, google searchable, You tube video presented of revolvers being loaded quickly with speed loaders.

As they now search out weapons they have available, they will do so anyway if these bans happen...
Thus my thought at showing the sheep, it makes little difference.

An un trained individual can shoot 6 rounds, unload cases and load a speed loader reasonable fast. Combine that with the multiple weapons you suggest Keith and the end result is the same..

Now does that speak for a total ban of all multiple shot weapons or against the stupidity of Mag restrictions I do not know. :banghead:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

CodeJockey wrote:It looked to me though, that they didn't empty the magazines between reloads, which would have improved the time since she wouldn't have had to release the slide. The only time I saw it emptied was on the last round. Did I miss something?
Not that I could tell.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

frreed

Post by frreed »

CodeJockey wrote:It looked to me though, that they didn't empty the magazines between reloads, which would have improved the time since she wouldn't have had to release the slide. The only time I saw it emptied was on the last round. Did I miss something?
It is called a tactical reload. It eliminates the need to operate the slide or bolt to get back into the fight. This is standard procedure for close quarters combat. Infantry will carry a magazine dump bag to hold empty or partially empty mags. If things go bad, you have mags with a round or two or three left to fall back on.

If I recall correctly, reloading with the slide or bolt open is called and administrative reload.

howdy

Post by howdy »

He was obviously counting shots down range. He shot 14 then 16 so as not to require racking the slide. He then shot 9/10/11 then 5/6/6/6/7. She did the same thing.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

So all this does is give the anti's fuel to limit how many magazines you can own.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

CodeJockey

Post by CodeJockey »

Right, and i definitely see the tactical advantage of it. I'm not sure how effectively someone without tactical training could implement that methodology during a real situation though. I should definitely practice it.
Always watch your six!
NRA Life Member

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

CodeJockey wrote:Right, and i definitely see the tactical advantage of it. I'm not sure how effectively someone without tactical training could implement that methodology during a real situation though. I should definitely practice it.
Definately need to practice it. Shooting games similar to IDPA are a good way to practice it, there are requirements on some stages for a tactical reload - although I have blown through to slide lock because I couldn't keep track of the round count when the adrenaline pump is on full power.

This past weekend we did a defensive shotgun class - I could only load 5 rounds at a time and lost count there too in a walking-shooting excersize :banghead:
NRA Life Member

frreed

Post by frreed »

CodeJockey wrote:Right, and i definitely see the tactical advantage of it. I'm not sure how effectively someone without tactical training could implement that methodology during a real situation though. I should definitely practice it.
Oh yeah, when the adrenaline flows it gets tough. Most will simply go through a magazine, reload and cycle the bolt or slide. It takes hours of training for it to be a "normal" practice. I always count rounds when I shoot at the range. I usually load 5 rounds and have gotten in the habit of counting. Most of the time I I know when the slide will lock.

I don't get to do much "tactical" shooting, but when I practice reloads I do try to reload before slide lock. It can be done at a normal range setting where there is no pressure. Doing this should make it easier to do so under pressure.

It was great to see Christy using that same technique as a reminder that "regular" folk can benefit from the knowledge of experts. Her times would have been somewhat slower had she cycled the action after each reload.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”