Houston group giving away shotguns

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Syntyr
Posts in topic: 1

Houston group giving away shotguns

Post by Syntyr »

A Houston group is giving away shotguns to people in high crime areas to test if more guns equals less crime.

I am not even sure where to go or what to think on this one. Sounds like they are require background checks and passing a training course. It's single shot 20 guage shotguns. Interesting article...

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/02/20/ ... s-reduced/
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

John75

Re: Houston group giving away shotguns

Post by John75 »

Good idea and I'm interested in the results. I wonder how many shotguns they can actually provide though. Considering the cost and how many people would be eligible. Will it be enough to make a difference?

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

interesting
link in article is wrong, but ...
http://www.armedcitizenproject.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

CainA

Post by CainA »

I read this earlier and thought it had already been posted here so I didn't bother posting it. One barrel shy of Biden's defense gun.
I'm interested in the results too.

psijac

Post by psijac »

Single shot weapons do not leave a lot of room for error

Although some people will be bitten by the gun bug and start their one small cache of weapons and ammo. So i approve :hurry:
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

StewNTexas

Post by StewNTexas »

Unless they are also giving out some ammo, it may not make any difference.

My local Wal-Mart has empty shelves. The manager of that department told me that people start coming in around 4:30 to 5:00 AM, just wander the store until it is close to 7:00 AM, when any overnight shipments of ammo might be available.
If the 2nd admendment only applies to muskets and muzzle-loaders, then the 1st admentment must apply only to the spoken or printed word. Printing must be done on hand presses, news stories must be written in longhand, no keyboards or electric processes may be used.

tiviti

Post by tiviti »

The local Walmarts I have been checking seem to be well stocked in shotgun ammo and some 40/45 but out of 9mm, 22lr and .223 ammo.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I don't know what the true goal is of this project, but it certainly doesn't come close to being a "study." Just a few of the problems are 1) crimes don't occur just in the home; 2) single-shot shotguns won't be carried outside the home, so overall crime rates won't be impacted; 3) they don't have enough money to purchase a large enough quantity of guns to come even close to collecting meaningful results. I could go on for a while.

I suspect everyone knows the end result is that they will find "no impact on the Houston crime rate."

Chas.

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

Their argument will be that the criminals stole all the guns and caused more crime. Or, that all the owners sold their guns to criminals to buy crack, ah, err, food for their babies and this caused more crime.

But, maybe they haven't heard from the VP yet about shotguns.....
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

Z1166

Post by Z1166 »

Selection bias alert! One could assume, although I don't know how accurately, that there are a lot of people in high crime areas who are not legally allowed to possess a firearm. Of course, the shotguns in this "study" will surely be pawned or traded for crack or meth soon after receipt.
:fire :reddevil

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

I don't see this ending well. A single shot 20ga is hardly tactical. It's not likely to be used outside the home. I don't think they'll be able to provide enough guns to create a valid sample. And a year isn't long enough to provide enough data. Besides, how many people that live in high crime areas will be able to satisfy the background checks in the first place??
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

TexasCajun wrote:Besides, how many people that live in high crime areas will be able to satisfy the background checks in the first place??
The victims?

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”