2/3rds of U.S. weapons owners would 'defy' a federal gun ban

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 8

Re: 2/3rds of U.S. weapons owners would 'defy' a federal gun

Post by anygunanywhere »

Great comment:
To paraphrase:

"A law, repugnant to the Constitution, is void, and no one is obligated to obey it and no official empowered to enforce it."

-- Marbury v. Madison
Another goodun I found elsewhere:
An Unconstitutional Act is not law; it confers no rights: it imposes no duties; affords no protection; it creates no office; it is in legal contemplation, as inoperative as though it had never been passed. (Norton vs. Shelby County 118 US 425 p.442)

Anygunanywhere
Last edited by anygunanywhere on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

Repugnant, indeed.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Ericstac

Post by Ericstac »

How does one defy a ban on certain guns?

They won't be available to purchase correct? So I don't see how it's possible.

Not that it's going to happen or anything..

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

anygunanywhere wrote:Great comment:
To paraphrase:

"A law, repugnant to the Constitution, is void, and no one is obligated to obey it and no official empowered to enforce it."

-- Marbury v. Madison
An Unconstitutional Act is not law; it confers no rights: it imposes no duties; affords no protection; it creates no office; it is in legal contemplation, as inoperative as though it had never been passed. (Norton vs. Shelby County 118 US 425 p.442)

Anygunanywhere
Problem is, doesn't the judicial branch have to confer a ruling?

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Ericstac wrote:How does one defy a ban on certain guns?

Do not be so easily fooled. It can happen and very well might.

Don't register.

Do not comply.

Make no concessions.

If this is passed you can consider yourself a criminal if you do not comply.

Civil disobedience will take some courage. No one ever said our fight is going to be easy.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Her bill has grandfathering of banned weapons, except you will have to REGISTER them to keep them.

no bueno
NRA Life Member

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Great comment:
To paraphrase:

-- Marbury v. Madison

Anygunanywhere
Problem is, doesn't the judicial branch have to confer a ruling?
When Rosa Parks decided to act no court had made any ruling.

When the patriots at Concord and Lexington acted no court had made any ruling.

Anygunanywhere

longhorn_92
Posts in topic: 5

Post by longhorn_92 »

geekwagun wrote:

Her bill has grandfathering of banned weapons, except you will have to REGISTER them to keep them.

no bueno

You also see what they WANTED to do in NEW YORK?... They wanted confiscation of all "assault" rifles.

Registering is bad news.
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

AndyC wrote:
An interesting little factoid has emerged from a new Fox News poll of U.S. voters: Personal sentiments are strong and defiant among many U.S. gun owners
Washington Times
I call bull Andy.

The President (and all his minions that are using the same talking points) have clearly stated that the majority of gun owners are with him and for "common sense" gun laws and compromise. I myself have not been surveyed, but apparently the President and Vice President are both very sure of this.

I would have to assume that is why so many people have joined the NRA in the past month, just so they can get there vote counted as being a firearm owner that supports the President's plan.

(/sarcasm)
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

longhorn_92
Posts in topic: 5

Post by longhorn_92 »

steveincowtown wrote:
AndyC wrote:
An interesting little factoid has emerged from a new Fox News poll of U.S. voters: Personal sentiments are strong and defiant among many U.S. gun owners
Washington Times
I call bull Andy.

The President (and all his minions that are using the same talking points) have clearly stated that the majority of gun owners are with him and for "common sense" gun laws and compromise. I myself have not been surveyed, but apparently the President and Vice President are both very sure of this.

I would have to assume that is why so many people have joined the NRA in the past month, just so they can get there vote counted as being a firearm owner that supports the President's plan.

(/sarcasm)

I joined the NRA... I thought it was the National RESTAURANT Association...
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

I am not registering anything......but my car.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I've got nothing to lose by breaking the law. If I live to go to jail, I get three square meals a day, free medical care, and i'm too old and fat to be willing to be anybody's "special friend." I'll shank the first person that tries. If I go to heaven defending my rights or my "virtue," I'm OK with that.

The government has no hold over me. My eternal future is assured, and so it is for the gun-banners. Before the Judgement Seat, it will suck to be them, because they are going straight to hades some day. Not me.

Anygunanywhere said it nicely the other day. "I'm with my brothers and sisters. I feel good." As MLK said, I've been to the mountain top, and I've seen the promised land. We may not all get there together, but we WILL get there. There WILL come a day when people like Diane Feinstein are so shunned and so shamed that they can do no more damage. I believe in this with all my heart, and I'm willing to pay whatever price that entails.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jmra

Post by jmra »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I've got nothing to lose by breaking the law. If I live to go to jail, I get three square meals a day, free medical care, and i'm too old and fat to be willing to be anybody's "special friend." I'll shank the first person that tries. If I go to heaven defending my rights or my "virtue," I'm OK with that.

The government has no hold over me. My eternal future is assured, and so it is for the gun-banners. Before the Judgement Seat, it will suck to be them, because they are going straight to hades some day. Not me.

Anygunanywhere said it nicely the other day. "I'm with my brothers and sisters. I feel good." As MLK said, I've been to the mountain top, and I've seen the promised land. We may not all get there together, but we WILL get there. There WILL come a day when people like Diane Feinstein are so shunned and so shamed that they can do no more damage. I believe in this with all my heart, and I'm willing to pay whatever price that entails.
Amen!
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

punkndisorderly

Post by punkndisorderly »

The majority may say they'll ignore it, but I have a feeling a "sizable minority" would be closer to the truth.

If it passes, they win.

Some, or most, will fall in line. Victory for them.
Some will bury them, which takes them out of use. Victory for them.
Some will keep them, have them stolen, not report them stolen and they'll be used in crimes so they can push for more draconian measures. Victory for them.
Some will use them for defense and wind up in jail. Victory for them.
Some will make too much noise and be made an example of. "See that crazy man shot at our heroic ATF agents" Victory for them.
The remainder live looking over their shoulder the rest of their days. Victory for them.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer.
Texas CHL Instructor

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”