Potential Bans Impact on PPO and CSO

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
daveboyd
Posts in topic: 2

Potential Bans Impact on PPO and CSO

Post by daveboyd »

As a current PPO, would any magazine capacity bans or semi-automatic handgun bans apply to me? Let's say that a magazine capacity ban was imposed that only allowed 10 round mags. My duty weapon is equipped with 15 round mags. Would I be allowed to keep my "evil" 15 round magazines and "evil" semi-automatic handguns for duty carry as a PPO? I believe that I would since I have purchased some LEO trade-in Glock 22's that came with 15 round mags imprinted with "LE/Military Use Only" or something like that. I believe they were originally sold during the previous ban.

Assuming the answer is Yes, that would lead to my next question. Since I am also have a current CHL holder, would I then be allowed to carry the 15 round mags in my EDC as a CHL when not on duty as a PPO. Same handgun, just carrying under a differnet license depending on the circumstances. Would I need 10 round mags when carrying under my CHL?

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Potential Bans Impact on PPO and CSO

Post by n5wd »

Who knows? It's all hypothetical right now!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Topic author
daveboyd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by daveboyd »

n5wd wrote:Who knows? It's all hypothetical right now!
I understand that any bans are all hypothetical at this point. I am asking more about how past and existing restrictions are applied to LE and private security, versus the general population and CHL's.

AlphaWhiskey

Post by AlphaWhiskey »

If I recall, there were absolutely no concessions given to private security personnel during previous bans. Thus, the magazines say "For Law Enforcement and Government Use Only" with no mention of security officers. IF that sort of ban were to be put into place, theoretically, you would no longer be able to carry your "high capacity" magazines at any time, on duty or not.

It is doubtful they would be able to pass any sort of legislation that would outlaw what is currently in the hands of the American people, more likely that any ban would effect future purchases. That said, I guess we just don't know and I wouldn't be surprised by any amount of shenanigans at this point.

recaffeination

Post by recaffeination »

There should be no exception for private security. In any country other than a third world police state, there would be no exceptions for police either.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

AndyC wrote:I feel for you, because that used to be my job as well. I was living overseas during the last ban but was watching closely what was happening here.

Obviously it depends how they frame legislation; if normal-sized mags are grandfathered in, you could legally carry them - but during the last AWB, a common thread was that a lot of folks were generally too nervous to carry even the legal, grandfathered ones in case they were arrested ("Beat the rap but not the ride" kinda thing). That's when the .45acp came back with a vengeance - folks figured that, if they were de facto limited to 10+1 rounds, they may as well be the biggest ones.
Ah, the days when Wonder Nines were all the rage and I was able to buy Gold Cups for $400.00.

packa45

Post by packa45 »

With the last ban I was in the industry commissioned security/ppo here in Texas and was not allowed to purchase " hi cap mags" during that ban (even at gt distributors) so I would assume any new ban would be similar.
Chl class for me and wife=$225. Chl application fees =$280. Chl gear for 2=more $ the previous. Moving from sheep to sheepdog = priceless

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

recaffeination wrote:There should be no exception for private security. In any country other than a third world police state, there would be no exceptions for police either.
No, I disagree with you. In "any country other than a third world police state" there would be no restrictions at all. :tiphat:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

I don't know the legality of it but when I was 19-20 I purchased a M1A from a gun store in Killeen and they sold me two 20 round M1A magazines.

I guess since they were grandfathered it was ok? This was 2002 and they were brand new in the bag.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”