obamacare upheld

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

LikesShinyThings
Posts in topic: 8

Re: obamacare upheld

Post by LikesShinyThings »

steveincowtown wrote:
Job. Killer.
And medical care killer. And medical care rationing. And instigator of (at least competent) doctors quitting/retiring.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by gdanaher »

When people are asked if they support the various aspects of the law, they support them. When the same people are asked if they support the affordable care act or Obamacare, they don't like it. It's all in how it is presented. The general public doesn't know enough about the detail to make a learned decision. I haven't read the entire law either, but I've waded through a digested version of about 200 pages. I doubt that anyone here including the attorneys have taken the time to read the whole thing. Time is money. But health care has been politicized beyond all reason, and the territory it covers isn't all that new if folks would just think for a moment. Someone mentioned they were concerned about being told what car to buy. You already are, and have been for years. It's called the gas guzzler tax for lack of the real name and taxes high consumption vehicles. If you can afford that Ferrari, you can afford the tax, right? Really, nothing new. And again, if anyone here really wants to be helpful in November, move to Florida. It looks like they can use the Republican votes.

Slowplay
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Slowplay »

psijac wrote:Any expanse of power comes with an abuse of that power. Can gun owners now be taxed at 100% their income for owning a gun?
If the congress passes such a law and a president signs it, why not? Congress clearly has such taxing authority, based on today's decision. Instead of just a tax stamp (set tax amount), it appears a % of your income would be constitutional...imho, of course. :tiphat:
NRA Benefactor Member
"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance..."
- John Philpot Curran

Slowplay

Post by Slowplay »

gdanaher wrote:When people are asked if they support the various aspects of the law, they support them. When the same people are asked if they support the affordable care act or Obamacare, they don't like it. It's all in how it is presented. The general public doesn't know enough about the detail to make a learned decision. I haven't read the entire law either, but I've waded through a digested version of about 200 pages. I doubt that anyone here including the attorneys have taken the time to read the whole thing. Time is money. But health care has been politicized beyond all reason, and the territory it covers isn't all that new if folks would just think for a moment. Someone mentioned they were concerned about being told what car to buy. You already are, and have been for years. It's called the gas guzzler tax for lack of the real name and taxes high consumption vehicles. If you can afford that Ferrari, you can afford the tax, right? Really, nothing new. And again, if anyone here really wants to be helpful in November, move to Florida. It looks like they can use the Republican votes.
Nevermind. :roll:
NRA Benefactor Member
"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance..."
- John Philpot Curran

hi-power
Posts in topic: 6

Post by hi-power »

gdanaher wrote:Someone mentioned they were concerned about being told what car to buy. You already are, and have been for years. It's called the gas guzzler tax for lack of the real name and taxes high consumption vehicles. If you can afford that Ferrari, you can afford the tax, right? Really, nothing new. And again, if anyone here really wants to be helpful in November, move to Florida. It looks like they can use the Republican votes.
What!? A gas-guzzler tax does not affect me if choose NOT TO BUY a gas-guzzler. A luxury tax DOES NOT affect me if I choose not to buy a Ferrari. This new law now taxes me if I choose NOT TO participate in it. Liberty is the issue here.

Slowplay

Post by Slowplay »

74novaman wrote:You know, as disappointing as the ruling was, far more disturbing to me is the number of friends/acquaintances on facebook and elsewhere downright cheering this massive federal power grab.

I fear for our future, if the people are truly happy about handing in freedom for benefits. :frown5:
Let's see if they are still celebrating when their employers opt to pay the penalty, drop their health care options/benefits, and have them fend for their own health care policies (or they forego buying insurance and are forced to pay the Obamacare tax).

For our francophone friends: L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs
NRA Benefactor Member
- John Philpot Curran

teri
Posts in topic: 2

Post by teri »

Slowplay wrote: Let's see if they are still celebrating when their employers opt to pay the penalty, drop their health care options/benefits, and have them fend for their own health care policies (or they forego buying insurance and are forced to pay the Obamacare tax).
:iagree: I do believe this will happen. The insurance premiums will go through the roof.
6/2/12 - CHL Class
7/20/12 - Plastic in hand!

~Do it today! It might be illegal tomorrow. - author unknown~

jollyman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jollyman »

The people cheering now will be the very people crying the loudest when/if they wake up to find that they have sold their freedom for lies.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not." -- Thomas Jefferson

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Our form of government if followed to the letter of the constitution is one of the best ever imagined and implemented in the history of the world.

The most glaring mistake by our forefathers is appointment of the SC judges and lifetime appointment. Their not having to answer to us for their decisions is one reason we are in this mess and the very reason nothing will ever change.

Go ahead and reach for the flush lever.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Caltex
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Caltex »

snatchel wrote:
BillT wrote:Yipeeeeeeee :biggrinjester: :mrgreen: :patriot: :anamatedbanana I'm beginning to think there is hope for this country!!! What a great day for America. So many children with very serious, life threatening diseases, and who don't know a thing about politics where just granted the opportunity of life. Maybe this country is beginning to find it's moral compass! For those of you that are upset by this I suggest you consider that we are not Human Beings having a Spiritual experience but that we are Spiritual beings having a Human experience...

You apparently don't know a thing about politics. We would all love to see everyone insured, but I for one will NOT support universal healthcare insurance at the espense of liberty.
Have you read the bill? First look up Eugenics in the dictionary. Women have been put into the second class again, as abortions will be made illegal. Illegals and those on assistance will receive free coverage - 2.9 billion. Doctors will be told what to practice, who gets what services, and how much they can charge. And the government monitors everything. And the courts upheld it. And the people had no say in the matter. You're wrong; it's possibly the worst day for America. Oh, and I believe Unions receive payouts.
I don't trust easily, so when I tell you I trust you, don't make me regret it.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Caltex wrote:Women have been put into the second class again, as abortions will be made illegal.
Which Obama health care bill have you read? This law does not in any way restrict abortions. It requires abortion and contraceptive services be paid for by every employer. THERE ARE NO EXEMPTIONS UINDER THE NARROWLY WORDED EXEMPTION CLAUSE.

The federal government is in the complete and total grasp of planned parenthood. The federal government is an agent of death.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 8

Post by chasfm11 »

Slowplay wrote:
74novaman wrote:You know, as disappointing as the ruling was, far more disturbing to me is the number of friends/acquaintances on facebook and elsewhere downright cheering this massive federal power grab.

I fear for our future, if the people are truly happy about handing in freedom for benefits. :frown5:
Let's see if they are still celebrating when their employers opt to pay the penalty, drop their health care options/benefits, and have them fend for their own health care policies (or they forego buying insurance and are forced to pay the Obamacare tax).

For our francophone friends: L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs
Love your reference en français.

I don't think that we'll have to worry about any of your areas of concern. Affordable Care is a pathway to a single payer system. The more onerous that it becomes in the initial implementation, the more quickly that transition occurs. From that there is almost no possibility of recovery.

And I don't think "good intentions and desires" were any part of the intention. Mensonge et tromperie sont la une meilleure description.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

74novaman
Posts in topic: 14

Post by 74novaman »

anygunanywhere wrote:Our form of government if followed to the letter of the constitution is one of the best ever imagined and implemented in the history of the world.

The most glaring mistake by our forefathers is appointment of the SC judges and lifetime appointment. Their not having to answer to us for their decisions is one reason we are in this mess and the very reason nothing will ever change.

Go ahead and reach for the flush lever.

Anygunanywhere
Gotta disagree here. The idea of impartial judges who help balance power between the other two branches is a sound one.

The problem is the jokers we keep electing to POTUS and Congress that get to nominate and confirm foks do a lousy job of it. When they confirm people who have said they don't care for our Constitution as written (Ginsburg comes to mind), we have a major problem.

In my mind, the direct election of Senators has done more than anything else to damage the Republic and lead us on the road towards ruin.
TANSTAAFL

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I'll stand by my statement. Everyone in the federal government should answer to we, the people. We have no recourse whatsoever to ANY action taken by the supreme boobs.

Anygunanywhere

74novaman
Posts in topic: 14

Post by 74novaman »

anygunanywhere wrote:I'll stand by my statement. Everyone in the federal government should answer to we, the people. We have no recourse whatsoever to ANY action taken by the supreme boobs.

Anygunanywhere

Valid point. But we the people elected the folks who appointed and confirmed the SCOTUS.

Considering how many folks voted for Obama, I'm not sure that "the people" having more of a say would have helped anything here. :grumble
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”