Texas License Plate Law?????

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

speedsix
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Texas License Plate Law?????

Post by speedsix »

...well, choosing between the DPS license plate office and a reporter...I'm gonna go with what DPS said...no such plans and no such design...except for custom plates...we don't have long to wait...it'll be mid-summer 'fore we know it...

atouk
Posts in topic: 1

Post by atouk »

That's a tough decision. Who is more likely to get the facts wrong, a bureaucrat or a journalist?

:headscratch

rm9792
Posts in topic: 13

Post by rm9792 »

atouk wrote:That's a tough decision. Who is more likely to get the facts wrong, a bureaucrat or a journalist?

:headscratch
Well obviously the....uhmmm....heck.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...point well taken, atouk...we'll probably paint the numbers on our back bumper to save money... :lol:

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...just got awakened from my nap by a call from a delightfully intelligent and informative gal from the Motor Vehicle Division in response to my email...she said that the January board meeting which I read the minutes of and which gave the information for the various interviews and collectors' publications and their articles is only the first step...the board's vote of approval just lets them begin to work towards the new plates...design and production, supplies, machinery, etc. have to be handled...plus they have a large supply of the current plate style to be used up...work is proceeding at government pace to accomplish all of that...but they have no idea when they will put the approved plates into production, or when they will hit the streets...as of now, they are available black letters on white background as a special order from myplates.com...it surely will not be made a general release this summer...

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by gdanaher »

....but it really is coming, like it or not. :cheers2: I wasn't dreaming....

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...kinda like a raise...it's coming...if...and if...and when...

Bullwhip
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bullwhip »

All Texas plates are easy to read, even special issue plates. I see standard issue plates al lthe time from other states, can't' even tell what state they're from until you're right up on them.

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by gdanaher »

You're right. Some states get just a little too cute. But you have to admit that the first run of the blue sky plates were pretty bad.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Crossfire »

Going back to the original question... did we ever get an answer on front license plates?

I have a new Dodge Charger, just got the plates on Monday. Let the dealer install them, and they did not put the front plate on. Told me that they NEVER put front plates on a Charger, as it requires drilling holes in the bumper.

Now, here it is Wednesday, exactly 2 days later, and I get pulled over for no front plate. Oh, and he thought my window tint was too dark. It wasn't.

So, what's the story? I don't want to ugly up my new car, but I don't want to invite unwanted attention, either. Especially if there is still a $200 fine, which is what I was told today.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jimlongley »

Crossfire wrote:Going back to the original question... did we ever get an answer on front license plates?

I have a new Dodge Charger, just got the plates on Monday. Let the dealer install them, and they did not put the front plate on. Told me that they NEVER put front plates on a Charger, as it requires drilling holes in the bumper.

Now, here it is Wednesday, exactly 2 days later, and I get pulled over for no front plate. Oh, and he thought my window tint was too dark. It wasn't.

So, what's the story? I don't want to ugly up my new car, but I don't want to invite unwanted attention, either. Especially if there is still a $200 fine, which is what I was told today.
I would expect the dealer to "retrofit" the plate, and pay the fine.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sjfcontrol »

SCOFFLAW! :smilelol5:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Scott in Houston »

Crossfire wrote:Going back to the original question... did we ever get an answer on front license plates?

Dying to hear what you learn. I've never put front plates on my cars. (sports car freak)
I thought the law was changed to where there's no penalty...

rm9792
Posts in topic: 13

Post by rm9792 »

officer is uninformed. There is no fine.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 11

Post by C-dub »

I don't remember hearing that this has been fixed yet. Not only is there no fine, but the requirement for BOTH plates was accidentally removed.

Thanks for volunteering to be the test case Crossfire.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”