Stand Your Ground in Danger

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

VMI77
Posts in topic: 43

Re: Stand Your Ground in Danger

Post by VMI77 »

GeekDad wrote:So Imo, I believe this issue is not a matter of stand your ground. The situation from what was reported seems to show that it was handled wrong all the way around. But what I believe the media is doing is trying to create a whirlwind agenda to disarm America. It's been a big objective of this massive government has been built up by the right and left to disarm America. The right to your life inherently gives you the right to protect your own life. So I ask you to realize that the information from the media is an agenda of the corporations that own our government. Best thing to do is to redirect the conversation and educate the people who are against Stand your ground. Truth be told no one knows exactly what happened, and we should take that into consideration as well.
Fyi.
I am a Ron Paul supporter cause he fights for my liberty, and has not been bought and paid for.
http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=204179

It may not be working out too well for them....here's an image of a poll on the stand your ground law taken in Florida:

And if they manage to incite race riots like they apparently want to do, gun sales may go through the roof.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

GeekDad
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GeekDad »

VMI77 wrote:
GeekDad wrote:So Imo, I believe this issue is not a matter of stand your ground. The situation from what was reported seems to show that it was handled wrong all the way around. But what I believe the media is doing is trying to create a whirlwind agenda to disarm America. It's been a big objective of this massive government has been built up by the right and left to disarm America. The right to your life inherently gives you the right to protect your own life. So I ask you to realize that the information from the media is an agenda of the corporations that own our government. Best thing to do is to redirect the conversation and educate the people who are against Stand your ground. Truth be told no one knows exactly what happened, and we should take that into consideration as well.
Fyi.
I am a Ron Paul supporter cause he fights for my liberty, and has not been bought and paid for.
http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=204179

It may not be working out too well for them....here's an image of a poll on the stand your ground law taken in Florida:

And if they manage to incite race riots like they apparently want to do, gun sales may go through the roof.

Good to see that, I never said they would be successful :cool:

And I have hope that the few that are willing to stick up for their 2nd Amendment Rights will grow when more pressure is put on them to disarm. If History tells us anything, the less the people are armed them more oppression and tyranny ensures, but when you have a small few that can guide the sheep in the right direction tyranny falls.
I believe the Founding Fathers meant for the law to be understood by every man, so he/she could understand their rights and defend them. The convoluted laws of today have stripped us of our understanding and as such, our rights. CHL Holder Since 05/04/2012

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 17

Post by gdanaher »

I know some of you aren't regular readers of the Wall Street Journal, but here is a short must read for y'all. Yes, it's related to the topic.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... hp_opinion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 32

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Wow... great read. The writer is exactly on the money. Now the Als and Jesses will accuse him of being a token.

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 16

Post by mamabearCali »

good article
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Keith B
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Keith B »

Great read. And, Shelby Steele himself is biracial http://www.hoover.org/fellows/10347" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

Part of today's editorial in USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/ed ... 54188404/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"They jumped too quickly to the conclusion that they were prohibited from arresting Zimmerman because of Florida's controversial "stand your ground" law, which allows the use of deadly force when people reasonably believe they're facing bodily harm. That ill-advised statute, adopted by about two dozen other states as well, is likely to be on trial along with Zimmerman, who told police he acted in self defense."

The law will be on trial as well as Zimmerman. I guess if Zimmerman wins, the law loses.

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 16

Post by mamabearCali »

It takes more than a series of carpet bagging race baiters to undo the will of the people. This whole business about stand your ground anyway is a misnomer. According to Zimmerman he had already retreated and if the earth is in your way you cannot retreat any further if you are being attacked. So this is simple self defense. Do these idiots really want to lock up the woman who kills her boyfriend while he is strangling her? Do they really think they can do away with the notion of self defense that has been associated with common law for at least 1000 years over one case? If Florida undoes its laws on this to please these dum dums it goes on my list of places to not go.

This type of stuff really makes me mad. Knee jerk reactionary law is total baloney.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Supposedly Jesse Jackson is in Houston today to politic for the repeal of the castle doctrine here in Texas.
I guess he is concerned for the safety of his supporters.
Was that to harsh?

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

philip964 wrote:Part of today's editorial in USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/ed ... 54188404/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"They jumped too quickly to the conclusion that they were prohibited from arresting Zimmerman because of Florida's controversial "stand your ground" law, which allows the use of deadly force when people reasonably believe they're facing bodily harm. That ill-advised statute, adopted by about two dozen other states as well, is likely to be on trial along with Zimmerman, who told police he acted in self defense."

The law will be on trial as well as Zimmerman. I guess if Zimmerman wins, the law loses.
That's most of what this is about....using the incident to undermine self-defense law and impose more gun control.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

74novaman
Posts in topic: 19

Post by 74novaman »

VMI77 wrote:
That's most of what this is about....using the incident to undermine self-defense law and impose more gun control.
I think the usual suspects such as bloomberg are absolutely trying to turn it into more gun control.

But with the current administrations weigh in on the topic, I think its far more about "our poll numbers are looking bad, we need to find something to galvanize the base" for national level democrats.

They tried the "war on women" and trying to shut down Limbaugh...didn't work. This is just the next noodle thrown at the wall to see what sticks.
TANSTAAFL

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

74novaman wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
I think the usual suspects such as bloomberg are absolutely trying to turn it into more gun control.

But with the current administrations weigh in on the topic, I think its far more about "our poll numbers are looking bad, we need to find something to galvanize the base" for national level democrats.

They tried the "war on women" and trying to shut down Limbaugh...didn't work. This is just the next noodle thrown at the wall to see what sticks.
They also got Rosen to attack Ann Romney so they could pretend to be offended and on the side of women who stay home to raise their children. The Z/M incident is being used to achieve multiple objectives....I agree that it's an election gambit, but they are also obviously attempting to sow racial division and create violence, which they apparently believe will also further their anti-gun, anti-self-defense, and re-election objectives, as well as divide the country. If they manage to provoke enough violence they may try to go even further with their political agenda. And I wouldn't be surprised to find that the media coverage was orchestrated right out of the White House. I'm not saying every media source is taking orders from the White House, but a couple key networks like NBC and CNN may be shilling for the White House, and that behind the scenes coordination has affected the coverage from all sources.

Ashlar

Post by Ashlar »

A-R wrote: This is the biggest red herring of all. Martin "wasn't committing a crime" ... NEITHER WAS ZIMMERMAN!

So you get two guys, both a little nervous about each other. And they meet face-to-face (won't bicker over HOW this happened or who started it, because it doesn't matter). So they meet, and what happens? Trayvon PUNCHES ZIMMERMAN! Then pounds his head REPEATEDLY into the ground (concrete, asphalt, grass?). Someone PUH-LEEZE tell me what JUSTIFICATION Trayvon Martin had to punch Zimmerman and then repeatedly pound his head into the ground?!?!?!!?

This is the crux of the whole case. BOTH men were leery of the other. BOTH men were behaving lawfully ... until Martin behaved unlawfully, attacked Zimmerman physically, and Zimmerman had to defend himself.

I realize my conclusions are based largely on police report which is based largely on Zimmerman's statements. But his statements were verified ENOUGH by eyewitnesses, physical evidence, etc. that the police and more importantly the PROSECUTOR believed it (despite one investigator's misgivings).

As for the accusation that WE - members of this forum - sound racist ... come on, LightningRocks, you're better than that. I applaud you for defending your beliefs in this case :cheers2: but sinking to that level? That's just not you. :headscratch
Actually, the lead detective on the case wanted to charge Zimmerman that night, but the PA decided not to. And after seeing the videotape of Zimmerman from multiple cameras at the PD, I'd have a hard time buying his story, too.

My guess is that Zimmerman grabbed, tried to detain, or tackled Martin- and if so, he's toast.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Beiruty »

Ashlar wrote:
A-R wrote: This is the biggest red herring of all. Martin "wasn't committing a crime" ... NEITHER WAS ZIMMERMAN!

So you get two guys, both a little nervous about each other. And they meet face-to-face (won't bicker over HOW this happened or who started it, because it doesn't matter). So they meet, and what happens? Trayvon PUNCHES ZIMMERMAN! Then pounds his head REPEATEDLY into the ground (concrete, asphalt, grass?). Someone PUH-LEEZE tell me what JUSTIFICATION Trayvon Martin had to punch Zimmerman and then repeatedly pound his head into the ground?!?!?!!?

This is the crux of the whole case. BOTH men were leery of the other. BOTH men were behaving lawfully ... until Martin behaved unlawfully, attacked Zimmerman physically, and Zimmerman had to defend himself.

I realize my conclusions are based largely on police report which is based largely on Zimmerman's statements. But his statements were verified ENOUGH by eyewitnesses, physical evidence, etc. that the police and more importantly the PROSECUTOR believed it (despite one investigator's misgivings).

As for the accusation that WE - members of this forum - sound racist ... come on, LightningRocks, you're better than that. I applaud you for defending your beliefs in this case :cheers2: but sinking to that level? That's just not you. :headscratch
Actually, the lead detective on the case wanted to charge Zimmerman that night, but the PA decided not to. And after seeing the videotape of Zimmerman from multiple cameras at the PD, I'd have a hard time buying his story, too.

My guess is that Zimmerman grabbed, tried to detain, or tackled Martin- and if so, he's toast.
And, how in the world the Prosecution would prove that fact? :shock: :headscratch :headscratch
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Ashlar

Post by Ashlar »

A vigorous cross-examination, getting Zimmerman flustered to the point of blurting out something or contradicting himself.

Followed in short order by a plea.

*edited to add: Not that the prosecution will prove it, but that fact will come out in cross, or Zimmerman will fail to keep his story straight.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”