It just never ends... Mob rule wins the day?

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I received this today. Be very concerned folks... This can happen to any one of us. It was not that long ago that this same group would have been screaming bloody murder if the SAG did this to a black man. They aren't realizing that if this can be done to Zimmerman... It can be done to anyone.

Friend,

This afternoon, Florida State Attorney Angela Corey made a surprising announcement: She decided to forego a grand jury in the Trayvon Martin case.

Her decision has put the responsibility of whether or not to prosecute George Zimmerman squarely on her shoulders, and hers alone.

Thousands of NAACP members around the country have marched on behalf of Trayvon Martin and his family in the last few weeks. Thousands more have prayed and held vigils in his name. Tens of thousands of you have appealed to Florida State Attorney Corey, asking her to passionately pursue justice in the case.

In light of today's news, we've got to redouble our efforts.

Please sign the petition to Prosecutor Corey today - and when you are done, spread the word to your friends and colleagues:

From day one, Trayvon's parents, Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin, have been pillars of courage. Even in their suffering, they have stood unwaveringly for justice. Their example has inspired a global movement for justice for Trayvon.

Clearly, the Sanford police mishandled the investigation into Trayvon's death from the beginning. But we now have an opportunity to ensure that justice delayed does not become justice denied. Our most important task is to act now to make sure Prosecutor Corey handles Trayvon's case with an eye for justice.

Join our call to Prosecutor Corey for justice for Trayvon--and all our children:

http://action.naacp.org/sign-the-letter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you for your support. Together, we will continue our fight for justice.

Ben

Benjamin Todd Jealous
President & CEO
NAACP

PS: The NAACP recently held a rally for Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida. Watch the video of highlights from our Justice for Trayvon Rally.

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

Re: It just never ends... Mob rule wins the day?

Maybe they should just take Zimmerman out back of the court house and string him up. :grumble

Anyone really believe he will get a fair trial?

74novaman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 74novaman »

We've been sliding toward mob rule ever since we went to direct election of senators in 1913.

As I said in another thread, I think her decision to forgo the grand jury means exactly 1 of 2 things:

1) They know there isn't evidence to convict him, and she will keep "investigating" until the 24/7 news cycle finds something else to wine about

2) She knows that a grand jury won't recommend indictment due to lack of evidence, and she's planning on succumbing to media/mob pressure so she has to make the decision herself.

Could be interesting. I wouldn't put money either way in a bet, because I honestly don't know how this one is going to play out.
TANSTAAFL

codeguy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by codeguy »

74novaman wrote:We've been sliding toward mob rule ever since we went to direct election of senators in 1913.
:iagree:

"Democracy has never been and never can be so durable as aristocracy or monarchy; but while it lasts, it is more bloody than either. . . . Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." ~ John Adams

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OldCannon »

codeguy wrote:
74novaman wrote:We've been sliding toward mob rule ever since we went to direct election of senators in 1913.

"Democracy has never been and never can be so durable as aristocracy or monarchy; but while it lasts, it is more bloody than either. . . . Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." ~ John Adams
I know all sorts of folks have opinions on how the Constitution should change, but the 17th amendment is, IMHO, the first one we should repeal.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

As I said in another thread, I think her decision to forgo the grand jury means exactly 1 of 2 things:

1) They know there isn't evidence to convict him, and she will keep "investigating" until the 24/7 news cycle finds something else to wine about

2) She knows that a grand jury won't recommend indictment due to lack of evidence, and she's planning on succumbing to media/mob pressure so she has to make the decision herself.

Could be interesting. I wouldn't put money either way in a bet, because I honestly don't know how this one is going to play out.
A third possibility is a variation on #2. She thinks a grand jury wouldn't indict and that would lead to rioting in the immediate future, so she'll proceed to trial which will drag the case out over a couple of years and the same lack of evidence will produce an OJ Simpson type verdict well after national interest has moved on.

It would be painful for Zimmerman, but there would likely be just editorial posturing for a few days but no riots.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Excaliber wrote:

A third possibility is a variation on #2. She thinks a grand jury wouldn't indict and that would lead to rioting in the immediate future, so she'll proceed to trial which will drag the case out over a couple of years and the same lack of evidence will produce an OJ Simpson type verdict well after national interest has moved on.

It would be painful for Zimmerman, but there would likely be just editorial posturing for a few days but no riots.
^^^^^^^^
This is exactly what will happen.

She will seek to avoid the possibility of rioting by throwing Zimmerman under the bus...presumably for the "greater good". I say...let it go to a Grand Jury and let the chips fall where they may. IF there is rioting, deal with that TOO! Otherwise....certain vocal groups will only be emboldened to try and prejudice our judicial system.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

FishInTx

Post by FishInTx »

PS: The NAACP recently held a rally for Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida. Watch the video of highlights from our Justice for Trayvon Rally
There was a big march/rally in our town the other day. Wearing the I am Trayvon Tshirts. Mostly educated by a leftist media outlet, I'm sure very few of them have any idea about the facts or laws involved in the case.

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

I believe that the DA is going to go for a manslaughter charge (whatever the proper term for Florida may be). Far easier to prove than murder, from what I have read...puts the guy in jail for a few years to placate the "powers that be" and makes it look like the authorities there "did something"...then later, he gets out on appeal, after the furor has died down...of course he's lost a considerable amount of his life, but the politics is taken care of and we all know THAT is what is most important. :skep:

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Maybe there's a third possibility --that he will be indicted, but not for a capital offense.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

I am thinking there is no winning here for the good guys. Anything short of a hanging and the cries will be of discrimination. We as a society lose because we have set a precedent of convicting people based on politics.

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dragonfighter »

RE: Thread Title

That's the very definition of a democracy. We are supposed to be a republic.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

fickman

Post by fickman »

codeguy wrote:

Native Texian

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Dragonfighter wrote:RE: Thread Title

That's the very definition of a democracy. We are supposed to be a republic.
_Federated_ republic, I might add. The longest living one in history, in fact.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

Heartland Patriot wrote:I believe that the DA is going to go for a manslaughter charge (whatever the proper term for Florida may be). Far easier to prove than murder, from what I have read...puts the guy in jail for a few years to placate the "powers that be" and makes it look like the authorities there "did something"...then later, he gets out on appeal, after the furor has died down...of course he's lost a considerable amount of his life, but the politics is taken care of and we all know THAT is what is most important. :skep:
And Zimmerman has to hope he doesn't get shanked while he's in prison and the appeals work themselves out. Not to mention the mega-bucks he'll be out from all the lawyers fees. So he'll be either dead, seriously wounded, or flat broke just to calm down the mob.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”