Stand Your Ground in Danger

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 15

Re: Stand Your Ground in Danger

Post by The Annoyed Man »

matriculated wrote:There is a fundamental thing that many posters in this forum seem to misunderstand: The more you defend Zimmerman and his actions, the more you endanger your own 2nd Amendment rights and self defense rights. It may feel right to defend Zimmerman, after all he's a CHL, making him "one of us." By defending Zimmerman, it may feel as if you're defending 2nd Amd. and self-defense rights. But back to reality, when it comes to practical matters, Zimmerman getting off without penalties will put the Stand Your Ground law in danger in various states, including FL if and when the legislature turns Democratic. Somebody has already posted something about Georgia looking at their laws. This is the type of ammo that the anti-self-defense people can only dream of. There is clearly now a push to reconsider, meaning repeal or weaken, the Stand Your Ground law, and all those coming to the aid of Zimmerman are aiding that push. Congratulations. Your over-zealousness may cost you your own rights.
Just wow. First of all, I haven't defended Zimmerman. I have consistently said—and so have others—that we should refrain from condemning him until we know exactly what happened. That is a darn sight different than defending him. And, as more and more evidence comes to light, the more it looks like it might have been a legitimate use of force. Now, maybe he's guilty as heck, maybe not. It is arguable that he made a poor exercise of judgement by tailing Martin after the police dispatcher told him they would prefer he didn't.....but that's not actually an arrest-able offense. We DO know that the initial story as reported by the lamestream media is being spun in a way having nothing to do with truth.

Is it overzealous to seek after truth? I don't think so. As was once said, extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Do you really think that accepting a lie, and agreeing to the imprisonment of an innocent man is OK if it will pacify gun grabbers, all in the name of keeping/losing a right? What is that right actually worth to you if you're willing to put an innocent man behind bars just to preserve that right for yourself? Do you really think that gun grabbers will ever abandon their goals regardless of the outcome of this case? That is not a moral position with which I am comfortable.

Please note: I am NOT saying that Zimmerman is innocent. I'm saying we DON'T KNOW if he's innocent or guilty. I'm saying that, until we know, we shouldn't pile on to the leftist media's attempt to frame a man. The path you are advocating is to surrender the narrative to a media and political left which is hostile to our gun rights. We have had our gun rights under constant assault for the past 50+ years exactly because we always surrender the narrative to the left. One way to preserve our rights to to prevent their further erosion is the sieze back control of the narrative. Here is what that means:

When a commie pinko gun grabber says this is about the eeeeevil Stand Your Ground laws, say, "no, it isn't. Eyewitnesses have Zimmerman retreating back to his vehicle when he was assaulted from behind by Martin. That is most certainly NOT a stand your ground action. He was retreating." Then, go on to explain the actual meaning of "Stand Your Ground," that it means that you have the right to defend yourself in any place where you have a right to be. Stand your ground may not apply for you inside my home because you don't have a right to be in my home, but it most certainly applies for you on the sidewalk in front of my home...where you most certainly have the right to be. In any case, Zimmerman was not standing his ground when he was assaulted. He was retreating according to at least one eyewitness, so this is not about "stand your ground;" it's about something else.

When a commie pinko gun grabber says that Zimmerman is a racist, ask him how that can be for a man whose best friend is black, and who along with his wife mentors black children.....one of whose mothers has stated that she trusted Zimmerman implicitly.

When a commie pinko gun grabber says that Zimmerman was just looking for a chance to shoot a black kid, ask him why it is then that Zimmerman has been devastated and in tears for weeks after the shooting because he feels so bad about it.

When a commie pinko gun grabber says that it is immoral to stand your ground when attacked, ask him if he thinks it is immoral for an organization of black racists to distribute fliers offering a $10,000 reward for the apprehension of Zimmerman....DEAD or alive. Ask him if it is morally superior for Zimmerman and his family to live in hiding because of the lynch mob being stoked by the media. Ask him if it was moral for someone to post Zimmerman's address on his facebook page to make it easier for people to track him down. Ask him if he will condemn Zimmerman's killer(s) when someone decides to collect that $10K reward.

I mean, I could go on and on. And again........this is not about Zimmerman. This is about seizing control of the narrative—partly to defend our rights, and partly to ensure that a possibly innocent man gets a fair trial. But we sure as heck should not be silent and let a possibly innocent man hang just because you don't want to get the commie pinko gun grabbers all worked up. They're already worked up, and they been worked up for years, and they'll continue to be worked up long after all of this blows over. They are worked up every single day because they are certain that somewhere, some conservative gun owners is enjoying a guilt free life instead of wringing his hands over whether or not he has offended some repressive gun-grabbing fascist.

So I reject your assertion. I don't really care if Martin was a model student or not, or a football player or not, or a sweet kid or a thug. What I care about is that Zimmerman had a bloody nose, a cut eye, a laceration on the back of his head, and grass stains and moisture from the grass on the back of his clothes. I care that an eyewitness says that he saw Zimmerman on the ground, on his back, screaming for help, while Martin beat him up. Which that Martin had not been shot, but I also know that in the exact same circumstances, I might well have shot him too. If I am on my back, after having been attacked from behind, and my attacker is on top of me and beating the snot out of me, this is no longer about standing my ground; it is about surviving a brutal attack.

Furthermore, there is one issue of Martin's character that will come out at trial and it will be admissible; and that is that he was known according to some witnesses to have a quick and unstable temper. IF that is true.....IF.....then it may be that he is the guilty party and Zimmerman is the victim here.

AGAIN. WE. DON'T. KNOW. FOR. CERTAIN. Here's what we DO know. Any one of us could conceivably find ourselves in a similar situation. The outcome may be similar. The bottom line is that if we have a right to be somewhere, we have a right to defend ourselves in that place if necessary. That's all it means. People who argue against that are the same people who think that a woman found raped and dead in an alley somewhere, strangled with her own pantyhose is somehow more noble than that woman's would-be rapist being found dead in the same alley with two in the chest and one in the head. Any argument which starts with the premise that the prospective victim must first flee, and then consent to be physically harmed before they can defend themselves is an immoral argument because it also starts with the premise that the criminal has more rights than the victim.
matriculated wrote:Well, #1 what is my premise, in your opinion? I can't respond if I don't know exactly what you're rejecting. And if you're Zimmerman's defender, like it or not, whatever it may feel like to you, you ARE hurting 2A and self defense rights. Because Zimmerman getting off will be ammo that anti-self-defense people will be able to use for a very long time, and persuade many people on the fence that SYG laws are excessive in their permissiveness.
So it would be better that Zimmerman go to prison even if he is innocent rather than to risk providing ammo to gun-grabbers......who are going to come after your guns regardless of what happens with Zimmerman? Please. I am seriously beginning to question your own commitment to gun rights, and your commitment to justice if it turns out that Zimmerman is innocent. If you would rather that an innocent man go to prison rather than risk the ire of gun grabbers, then you are holding an immoral position.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 15

Post by The Annoyed Man »

What do you suppose THIS is doing for gun rights and race relations? http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/tra ... irt-759832 warning: profanity on this t-shirt

Do you think THIS is just as dangerous in terms of fallout? http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/26/forme ... on-martin/

Who exactly are the exploiters here? http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/ ... rks-769123

I'm not defending anybody.....I'm just sayin'....... http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... k-teenager AND http://abcnews.go.com/US/trayvon-martin ... 3FMyWJSR8E (Zimmerman says Martin went for his gun and tried to take it away from him while he had him down on the ground on his back and was beating the snot out of him)

More and more of this stuff is coming out. I found the above 5 links within 5 minutes of my previous post, and it wasn't that hard to find them. If you think that posts on a Texas CHL forum are getting more page views than news stories on TheSmokingGun.com, DailyCaller.com, OrlandoSentinel.com, and ABCNews.com, all of which are saying the same things being said here, then I think you might have an inflated opinion of this board's influence on the overall gun debate nationwide. When major news outlets are saying it too, well, a discussion thread on this forum is just small potatoes, no disrespect meant to any of the members here.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

apostate
Posts in topic: 3

Post by apostate »

ScooterSissy wrote:The issue I have with a statement like this is - why was him being a "model student" relevant (or at least it was stated by the family, and not opposed as being irrelevant), but finding out it's not true isn't?
BINGO!

The same people who were attacking Zimmerman's character and painting Martin as a veritable saint are now acting offended that somebody would dare to reveal the truth. :roll:

In addition, Martin's parents previously spread falsehoods about why he was suspended, until confronted with the truth. A reasonable man would start to wonder what else they aren't being completely truthful about?

Meanwhile, eyewitness testimony and physical evidence seems to be consistent with the "story" Zimmerman told the police that night.

matriculated

Post by matriculated »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Just wow. First of all, I haven't defended Zimmerman.
Annoyed man, I don't mean to annoy you, but clearly I wasn't referring to you specifically, or anyone else. Like I said previously, we're all in the same boat: We get to wait and see. But in the meantime, we get to express our opinions, and there are these convenient places for such things called Internet forums. If you feel singled out somehow, as the "Just wow" would indicate, then you should ask yourself why do you feel singled out?
The Annoyed Man wrote:Is it overzealous to seek after truth?
Of course not. I wish we could stay on topic and avoid meta discussions. Yes, I'm against the truth! :roll:

I actually largely agree with the vast majority of you post, except for this:
The Annoyed Man wrote:When a commie pinko gun grabber says this is about the eeeeevil Stand Your Ground laws, say, "no, it isn't. Eyewitnesses have Zimmerman retreating back to his vehicle when he was assaulted from behind by Martin. That is most certainly NOT a stand your ground action. He was retreating." Then, go on to explain the actual meaning of "Stand Your Ground," that it means that you have the right to defend yourself in any place where you have a right to be. Stand your ground may not apply for you inside my home because you don't have a right to be in my home, but it most certainly applies for you on the sidewalk in front of my home...where you most certainly have the right to be. In any case, Zimmerman was not standing his ground when he was assaulted. He was retreating according to at least one eyewitness, so this is not about "stand your ground;" it's about something else.
That's a nice made up scenario you have there. It'd be a shame if something happened to it. Why don't you wait for the GJ to make a determination before jumping the gun like that and creating a scenario all on your own that differs with many other skeptical, intelligent people's versions of events...? Huh? What are you, impatient?
The Annoyed Man wrote:
matriculated wrote:Well, #1 what is my premise, in your opinion? I can't respond if I don't know exactly what you're rejecting. And if you're Zimmerman's defender, like it or not, whatever it may feel like to you, you ARE hurting 2A and self defense rights. Because Zimmerman getting off will be ammo that anti-self-defense people will be able to use for a very long time, and persuade many people on the fence that SYG laws are excessive in their permissiveness.
So it would be better that Zimmerman go to prison even if he is innocent rather than to risk providing ammo to gun-grabbers......who are going to come after your guns regardless of what happens with Zimmerman? Please. I am seriously beginning to question your own commitment to gun rights, and your commitment to justice if it turns out that Zimmerman is innocent. If you would rather that an innocent man go to prison rather than risk the ire of gun grabbers, then you are holding an immoral position.
Ok, #1: No, I'm not in favor of an innocent person going to prison under any circumstances, but clearly I don't think that Zimmerman's innocent. Don't stuff thoughts in my mind and words in my mouth.
#2: Questioning another person's motives just because they have a different opinion on a subject than you is a low blow and inappropriate. I've stated my thoughts. SYG doesn't and shouldn't apply here. It's not standing your ground if you're pursuing a teen. It's pursuing. If, somehow, by some eccentric interpretation of the law, SYG does apply here, then the law does need to be changed.
#3: Again, accusing other posters here of being immoral for holding a position different from your own is inappropriate. Try to keep this impersonal please.

apostate

Post by apostate »

matriculated wrote:The rules regarding profanity and substituting for profane words on this forum are very strict, so I'll do my best to stay on the right side of the rules and if I stray, Keith, or some other mod, please correct me. On the Sanford PD call, Zimmerman can be heard saying the word "These," followed by an expletive, and then the words "always get away." That tells you all you need to know about the intent and mindset of Zimmerman as he exited his car to go and follow Martin. His mind was already made up for some reason. I don't want to get into racial matters,
It's a good thing you don't want to get into racial matters because the expletive was not racial in nature, but anatomical.

P.S. I'm not in any way suggesting you were trying to trick people to assume it was racist. I just want to make that clear.

matriculated

Post by matriculated »

apostate wrote:
matriculated wrote:The rules regarding profanity and substituting for profane words on this forum are very strict, so I'll do my best to stay on the right side of the rules and if I stray, Keith, or some other mod, please correct me. On the Sanford PD call, Zimmerman can be heard saying the word "These," followed by an expletive, and then the words "always get away." That tells you all you need to know about the intent and mindset of Zimmerman as he exited his car to go and follow Martin. His mind was already made up for some reason. I don't want to get into racial matters,
It's a good thing you don't want to get into racial matters because the expletive was not racial in nature, but anatomical.

P.S. I'm not in any way suggesting you were trying to trick people to assume it was racist. I just want to make that clear.
Yes, the expletive in question was anatomical, not racial. And I wasn't trying to trick anyone (I assume everyone here has heard the tapes, kinda hard to trick people when they've heard it themselves).

However, now that you mention racial expletives, there are allegations that one of those was used as well. Again, people here seem to keep up so I assume most people know what the allegation is. There is no way I could get away with posting the word here, let's just say that the debate has been over whether the word started with the letter "c" or "g." After hearing the tape tens, if not hundreds of times, I think it was a "c." Which makes it a racial slur. I have pretty good hearing. Other people may differ on what they hear.

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 18

Post by ScooterSissy »

matriculated wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:
matriculated wrote:One more thing:

The reason Martin was suspended from school is irrelevant. I see some people trying to kill Martin's character and, in effect, make his shooting death justified by the fact that he got in trouble as a teenager. That's wrong. So he got suspended for an empty baggy with marijuana residue. How many of the forum members here can claim they've never, EVER, smoked some pot? In high school? Come on. Is it really a big deal? I know several doctors and lawyers who were proverbial potheads in high school, yet somehow are able to be extremely productive members of society. Including me. I'm a college educated white male, I pay may taxes, and guess what, I've smoked pot in the past. Shoot me. It's irrelevant to the case.

I don't mean to pontificate, again my $0.02. I swear I had another point but while typing the first one it got away from me... OK, tomorrow. No pothead jokes please. :nono:
The issue I have with a statement like this is - why was him being a "model student" relevant (or at least it was stated by the family, and not opposed as being irrelevant), but finding out it's not true isn't?

BTW, I've never smoked pot, never used any drug not prescribed to me. Your assumptions are a bit off...
I didn't make any assumptions, I asked a question. If it turns out that not a single member of this forum ever smoked pot, so be it. It still won't say anything about smoking pot or people who have experimented with it, it will just say that this is a very anti-pot smoking forum. I don't think Martin being 'model student" was ever relevant. The only thing relevant was what happened that night. I don't think that the family is making all the best decisions in what they're doing either. I don't think allowing Sharpton to get involved was smart. Still doesn't change the underlying facts.
Please, don't be silly now. Here's what you really said - " How many of the forum members here can claim they've never, EVER, smoked some pot? In high school? Come on.". The implication was clear. You asked a question, and then answered it yourself.

Of course Martin being a "model student" wasn't relevant, yet the media inserted it. And if the pot issue was such a non-starter, why did his parents lie about what he was suspended for? It's simple, they have an agenda, to present their son as if he couldn't have done anything wrong.

As far as relevance goes, Zimmerman's race (and Martin's) wasn't relevant, yet it's constantly inserted. That's because this story has been sensationalized from the outset.

I keep hearing folks scream for "justice" for Martin, yet they want to deny it for Zimmerman.

jmra
Posts in topic: 14

Post by jmra »

Time for a reality check and a look at the facts.
1. Zimmerman saw what he thought was a suspicious person in the neighborhood.
2. Zimmerman got out of his vehicle in order to keep with insight of the suspicious individual.
3. 911 operator told Zimmerman not to follow.
4. We do not know what happened between this time and the first physical contact between two.
5. The first witness to the physical contact stated that Zimmerman was on bottom and Martin was on top beating Zimmerman and Zimmerman was begging for help.
6. During this time Zimmerman received a broken nose and lacerations to the back of his head. The only injury Martin received it was the gunshot wound.
7. All other witnesses arrived after the gunshot and saw Martin laying on the ground and Zimmerman standing over him.
8. The witnesses then say that Zimmerman asked them to call 911.

These are the undeniable and unquestioned facts of the case. I am not anyone's defender but please tell me where in any of these known facts that Zimmerman broke the law. Could he have broken the law during the time that only Zimmerman and Martin know what happened? Absolutely, but there is no evidence whatsoever to support what happened during that time. You must have evidence in order to charge or convict a person of a crime.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 16

Post by mamabearCali »

As a member of this forum and a person on the side of truth (and not tarring and feathering a person just because the media is). I would like to state that I have never smoked a joint (or anything for that matter) and I have never taken an illegal drug.

The pot smoking is not necessarily directly tied to the events of that night (except that he would not have been there if he hadn't done that). It is however tied to the media story that this was "a little angel kid out with nothing but a bag of skittles and a big bad white man decided to gun him down."

Three things I find that make me tend to think that the shot was likely justified.

1. Zimmerman's injuries and the lack of them on Martin
2. The one shot fired and the non-cycling of the gun indicating a struggle over the weapon (if he had wanted to kill Martin in a racially charged murderous moment don't you think he would have shot him more than once?)
3. The witness that saw Zimmerman being beaten up and calling for help.

We know precious few things for sure. Is it possible that Zimmerman accosted Martin and that Martin was defending himself---maybe. But right now the evidence does not point that way.

That night would have gone better of course if Zimmerman had stayed in the car and observed (not a crime). It also would have gone better if Martin had not brought weed to school and gotten caught (against the law). There are a ton of would have, could have, should haves in this world. We can't fix it, all we can do is hope for justice to be done.

On appeasing the anti-gunners. This is what Winston Churchill said about appeasing. "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last." Do you think if we offer Zimmerman up as a sacrificial lamb that they will stop coming for the guns? No, they won't, it will just embolden them more. How did your dad tell you to deal with a bully trying to take your (insert item here), that is right, stand up to them! Stand for justice and the truth, that never leads a person wrong.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

74novaman
Posts in topic: 19

Post by 74novaman »

TAM and mamabearcali, right on.

Agreeing with others that Zimmerman should be punished before the investigation concludes does not help our 2nd amendment rights, it merely adds our voices to that of the rabnlerousers.

We should keep a close eye on this. We shouldn't be jumping to anyones defense, Zimmerman or Martin, until we know the facts.

Speculation on how this event will be used by anti gunners makes sense to me. Speculating on guilt just seems silly. There will be plenty of time to Monday morning quarterback zimmermzns every decision after the grand jury and or trial.
TANSTAAFL

VMI77
Posts in topic: 43

Post by VMI77 »

jmra wrote:Time for a reality check and a look at the facts.
1. Zimmerman saw what he thought was a suspicious person in the neighborhood.
2. Zimmerman got out of his vehicle in order to keep with insight of the suspicious individual.
And now that we have a more truthful picture of Martin, Zimmerman's suspicions don't seem so far fetched and unreasonable: kid apparently talked about punching a bus driver, apparently was a thief and a liar, a known vandal and drug user, in trouble with authority multiple times, and his parents are liars. Attitude and demeanor tend to leak through and display themselves to observers.

On the bright side, as others have pointed out, it looks like this incident has resulted in President Obama uttering the first truthful statement since he took office: "If I had a son he'd look like Trayvon."
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Keith B
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Keith B »

matriculated wrote: Why don't you wait for the GJ to make a determination before jumping the gun like that and creating a scenario all on your own that differs with many other skeptical, intelligent people's versions of events...? Huh? What are you, impatient?

Ok, #1: No, I'm not in favor of an innocent person going to prison under any circumstances, but clearly I don't think that Zimmerman's innocent. Don't stuff thoughts in my mind and words in my mouth.
OK, talk about a conflict of your views in the same post. I think we have the possum calling the hog long faced.

Bottom line, do not try to tell another member how they should be patient and not form opionions when you clearly have your mind made up he is guilty.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

A-R
Posts in topic: 25

Post by A-R »

Keith B wrote:
matriculated wrote: Why don't you wait for the GJ to make a determination before jumping the gun like that and creating a scenario all on your own that differs with many other skeptical, intelligent people's versions of events...? Huh? What are you, impatient?

OK, talk about a conflict of your views in the same post. I think we have the possum calling the hog long faced.

Bottom line, do not try to tell another member how they should be patient and not form opionions when you clearly have your mind made up he is guilty.

:iagree:

:rules:

A-R
Posts in topic: 25

Post by A-R »

matriculated wrote:
A-R wrote:Matriculated, I reject your entire premise and much of your "information" you deem so telling and obvious in pointing to Zimmerman's guilt. But it's late and frankly I'm tired.

I'll continue calling for patience and rejecting premature public convictions of this man despite my misgivings about his choices because we ALL would want the same consideration if we were in his shoes.

Nothing I'm doing is harming 2A, CHL, nor SYG.
Well, #1 what is my premise, in your opinion? I can't respond if I don't know exactly what you're rejecting. And if you're Zimmerman's defender, like it or not, whatever it may feel like to you, you ARE hurting 2A and self defense rights. Because Zimmerman getting off will be ammo that anti-self-defense people will be able to use for a very long time, and persuade many people on the fence that SYG laws are excessive in their permissiveness.
THIS - this right here highlighted in red above. Your premise is preposterous, but TAM and others have already elaborated quite conclusively upon the reasons why while I slept (guess you didn't believe me that I was tired :roll: ) so I can avoid a long-winded explanation.
matriculated wrote:And what part of the information I've provided, that is mostly available on recorded tapes, do you reject?
ALL OF IT. Until it is vetted by the criminal justice process, ALL OF IT is speculative at best. Sure I've formed some opinions on the whole matter, based on "what we know" - but those are merely my opinions and don't amount to a hill of beans in the context of whether a man is guilt or innocent or even whether he should be charged with anything.
matriculated wrote:Edit: I also have to comment on this ever-present call for "patience." We're all being patient here, including me. I have no choice. I'm not involved in the process, so my only choice is to be patient and see what the authorities determine. By incessantly calling for patience, you and some others seem to be implying that those who differ with you on this case are somehow jumping the gun, being "impatient." How? By expressing their opinion on an internet forum? Isn't that what Internet forums are for? We're not out there signing up for the NBP's ridiculous $10,000 bounty. We're just talking here, and we have different opinions. You're not any more patient than me. I'm waiting on the same authorities you are. We just have a different opinion and we're talking about it.
KeithB has already succinctly answered this and I agree with every word he wrote. Patience in this circumstance clearly means NOT jumping to conclusions as you have done.

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

There was a protest over the Martin/Zimmerman incident
at UT Arlington yesterday at noon about 100 were there
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”