Status of Campus Carry and Parking Lot (in layman's terms)

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

tfrazier
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Status of Campus Carry and Parking Lot (in layman's term

Post by tfrazier »

I don't understand the big red "X" between "Voted on by House" and "Sent to Governor". Can anyone explain? It all seems too good to be true...

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=SB321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JackRR
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JackRR »

tfrazier wrote:I don't understand the big red "X" between "Voted on by House" and "Sent to Governor". Can anyone explain? It all seems too good to be true...

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=SB321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I checked the website just now and I see a big green "checkmark" where the "X" was.

tuckerdog1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tuckerdog1 »

I understand that Perry has 10 days to sign or veto the bill otherwise it automatically becomes law

Above was posted 5/31. So is the parking lot bill a done deal? Carved in stone? On 9/1 I can't get fired for having a firearm in my locked car at work?
I'd have thought the media would have mentioned it, but I didn't hear a peep.

Thanks,
Tuckerdog1

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

tuckerdog1 wrote:
I understand that Perry has 10 days to sign or veto the bill otherwise it automatically becomes law

Above was posted 5/31. So is the parking lot bill a done deal? Carved in stone? On 9/1 I can't get fired for having a firearm in my locked car at work?
I'd have thought the media would have mentioned it, but I didn't hear a peep.

Thanks,
Tuckerdog1
Not quite yet. The only way it won't become law on Sept. 1st is if Governor Perry vetoes the Bill, but that's not going to happen.

Chas.

rm9792
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rm9792 »

tuckerdog1 wrote:

Thanks,
Tuckerdog1
No, they will just fire you for something else. This will help a lot of people but wont stop unscrupulous employers.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

rm9792 wrote:
tuckerdog1 wrote:

Thanks,
Tuckerdog1
No, they will just fire you for something else. This will help a lot of people but wont stop unscrupulous employers.
If they're unscrupulous....no law is gonna help. Sorry to break it to ya. ;-)
TANSTAAFL

rm9792
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rm9792 »

pretty much my point. It is a good step forward but how much will it really do? Maybe I am just jaded...

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

74novaman wrote:If they're unscrupulous....no law is gonna help. Sorry to break it to ya. ;-)
Yep. Wait, are we talking about employees or employers? Eh, it's true either way.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Why hasn't Gov Perry signed it?

Because he is now a presidential candidate?
NRA Endowment Member

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

rm9792 wrote:pretty much my point. It is a good step forward but how much will it really do? Maybe I am just jaded...
It will help quite a bit, I think. For 15 years I worked at three different office complexes for the same employer. The large parking areas (2,000 to 5,000 employees per location) were all behind card-access gates and/or security guards. All were properly 30.06 posted. Because of the way these office complexes were situated, there was simply no practical alternative to park elsewhere.

That's about 10,000 employees from just one company in just one city that will be helped significantly as of September. Sure, they can fire you for dying your hair green if they want, but it will no longer be a Class A misdemeanor to have your gun locked in your car. That's a big deal to me.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Skiprr wrote:
rm9792 wrote:pretty much my point. It is a good step forward but how much will it really do? Maybe I am just jaded...
It will help quite a bit, I think. For 15 years I worked at three different office complexes for the same employer. The large parking areas (2,000 to 5,000 employees per location) were all behind card-access gates and/or security guards. All were properly 30.06 posted. Because of the way these office complexes were situated, there was simply no practical alternative to park elsewhere.

That's about 10,000 employees from just one company in just one city that will be helped significantly as of September. Sure, they can fire you for dying your hair green if they want, but it will no longer be a Class A misdemeanor to have your gun locked in your car. That's a big deal to me.
That describes my situation exactly. The Parking Lot bill is going to make it feasible for me to carry on a daily basis now.
Psalm 91:2

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

At this point it does not matter if Perry signs it or not. On Monday it becomes law effective Sept 1 regardless as long as he does not veto hit. Which is not likely.

TxA

Post by TxA »

SQLGeek wrote:That describes my situation exactly. The Parking Lot bill is going to make it feasible for me to carry on a daily basis now.
:iagree:

Come on Sept 1st.... :txflag:
CHL 08/00

“We have no government armed in power capable of contending in human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”
John Adams – 2nd President of the United States

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Governor Perry signed the parking lot bill into law today. It's signed, sealed, and delivered. :hurry:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Skiprr wrote:Governor Perry signed the parking lot bill into law today. It's signed, sealed, and delivered. :hurry:
:anamatedbanana :woohoo :hurry:

Fantastic news!
Psalm 91:2

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”