Debra Medina

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Debra Medina

Post by ELB »

This business about Glenn Beck "setting her up" or "ganging up" on her is eyewash. He asked her straightforward questions, which had straightforward no-nonsense answers, and instead she hemmed and hawed and ran around the bush like Clinton trying to explain he really didn't have sex with that woman. He gave her TWO chances, asked very clear and direct questions, and gave her all the time she needed -- he did not cut her off, he did not interrupt, she got to ramble on as long as she wanted, and all she did was duck and weave. In other words, she is truther, or she's afraid of alienating her truther followers, and either one means she should not be dog catcher, never mind Governor.
USAF 1982-2005

Mike from Texas
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Mike from Texas »

ELB wrote:This business about Glenn Beck "setting her up" or "ganging up" on her is eyewash. He asked her straightforward questions, which had straightforward no-nonsense answers, and instead she hemmed and hawed and ran around the bush like Clinton trying to explain he really didn't have sex with that woman. He gave her TWO chances, asked very clear and direct questions, and gave her all the time she needed -- he did not cut her off, he did not interrupt, she got to ramble on as long as she wanted, and all she did was duck and weave. In other words, she is truther, or she's afraid of alienating her truther followers, and either one means she should not be dog catcher, never mind Governor.
We apparently see it differently.
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

chabouk
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by chabouk »

Dragonfighter wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:The reality of the situation is this - one of the following three people will be Governor of Texas until 2014; take your pick:

Rick Perry TSRA Rated: A+ (NRA/TSRA Endorsed)
Bill White TSRA Rated: B (proven anti-gun history)
Farouk Shami TSRA Rated: ?

Chas.
<RANT>
Rant on, brother.

Seriously... Shami? The reality is that the governor of Texas will be either the Republican or Democrat nominee. The likelihood of Farouk Shami beating Bill White for the Democrat nomination is less than Medina beating KBH and Hutchison. The reality is that it will be White against the Republican, whomever that might be. The reality is that we can expect a runoff between Perry and either Medina or KBH (and Medina is picking up quickly, while KBH fades).

The reality is that rank-and-file conservatives are sick and tired of insiders from both parties telling us who our choices are.

Thanks to Mike from Texas for posting Medina's response. I was going to, but this thread went two more pages before I was back on the computer.

Topic author
Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Dragonfighter »

couzin wrote:I (personally) like the Texas CHL licensing system and am comfortable with it. There are some that just do not need to be carrying a weapon. I really do not like the open carry idea - no matter who is proposing it.
(em added)

And who gets to make that decision, you? Me? The State in all of its wisdom? I like the "privelege" of my CHL too, but I can afford it, I have the time and ability to pass tests and a squeaky clean record. Now all we have to do is determine who it is among our number who is too infirm, too weak or just not bright enough to keep their CHL and bingo, your sense of selectivity is satisfied.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The reality of the situation is this - one of the following three people will be Governor of Texas until 2014; take your pick:

Chas.
I didn't realize there was an election already.

I reject your reality and I will vote for Medina in the primary and I will encourage others to vote in the primary and to vote for Medina.

Perry has been great for gun laws and CHL's, but there's other issues at hand.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike from Texas

flb_78 wrote:

Chas.
I didn't realize there was an election already.

I reject your reality and I will vote for Medina in the primary and I will encourage others to vote in the primary and to vote for Medina.

Perry has been great for gun laws and CHL's, but there's other issues at hand.
Yep, THIS!
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

idrathernot
Posts in topic: 7

Post by idrathernot »

Medina does a follow-up interview on 570KLIF regarding the Glenn Beck incident:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

flb_78 wrote: I reject your reality and I will vote for Medina in the primary and I will encourage others to vote in the primary and to vote for Medina.
:iagree:

I know I've gotten at least 5 people on Team Medina. They are telling everyone they know and I'm glad she's gaining traction. It's time for the 'Good 'ol boy' club to go.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Grammy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Grammy »

ELB wrote:This business about Glenn Beck "setting her up" or "ganging up" on her is eyewash. He asked her straightforward questions, which had straightforward no-nonsense answers, and instead she hemmed and hawed and ran around the bush like Clinton trying to explain he really didn't have sex with that woman. He gave her TWO chances, asked very clear and direct questions, and gave her all the time she needed -- he did not cut her off, he did not interrupt, she got to ramble on as long as she wanted, and all she did was duck and weave. In other words, she is truther, or she's afraid of alienating her truther followers, and either one means she should not be dog catcher, never mind Governor.

I agree she rambled on incoherently and avoided answering the question directly. To not right away and say no the government wasn't behind the terrorist attacks in New York, Washington and Shanksville Pa. was absurd, it was not a trick question or set-up, she spoke what was in her heart. Later the campaigns statement "attempted" to correct the record with what she "attempted" to say. And the rambling about psychological evaluations, sounds very unstable to me. She had multiple opportunities to answer the questions without interruptions and just came off as one in the tin-foil hat crowd.

Kind of reminds me of someone else that was elected on what people "thought" they knew about the person.
Jim
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always depend on the support of Paul.

TxD

Post by TxD »

Tired of the "Good old boy network"? Tired of taxes?

It almost sounds like Ms Medina is the candidate of "Hope & Change".

The fact is the Lady was asked a political question by a political corespondent
and gave a political answer that she had to politically spin the next day.

It is legitimate for the citizens of Texas to know if a candidate for Governor believes
in the conspiracy with terrorists theory concerning 9/11.

It would have been a "softball" question if not for her "truther" supporters.

At least she doesn't use a TelePrompTer. :razz:
Black Rifles Matter

Rex B
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Rex B »

That one screw-up is a drop in the bucket compared to the track record of the other two Republican candidates. She doesn't have the built-in spin machine that comes so natural to the lifers.

Medina is not afraid to say many of our present problems come from government. I don't care if she has a zero chance of making it. I am going to vote for her, send her (more) money, and advertise for her, because she is standing up against the political machine that is driving this state and this country to the brink of tyranny.
A few years ago Jesse Ventura shook up Minnesota and the whole country by proving that a determined outsider can make change happen within the system.
We have to do the same thing in Texas, or we will have more of the same bull we have been getting.
They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. That pretty well describes Texas politics.
If we can put Debra Medina in the Governor's Mansion this year, then there is hope.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 17

Post by RPB »

I still fail to understand why anyone would want to give up LOCAL control (Local property taxes spent locally), and a LOCAL tool to attract businesses and create jobs (Property tax abatement Locally), and give that power to Austin "Big Government"

A pig with makeup and diamonds (Politician proclaiming "It should be this way, I'm against big government, I'm against big business") whose plans mostly benefit big business and big government at the expense of the little guy and LOCAL government power .... is still recognizable by most people as a pig, even with makeup and diamonds on.

I'm going with Perry ....NRA, TSRA supports him, ...

Kay is guilty of age discrimination in attitudes, (ie. it's ok to stop a human's potential to grow, develop or age any further if those humans are of certain ages.) How she feels about the young may well translate into how she feels about elderly.

Farouk already sent too much money to terrorist areas in the past for my tastes, and guilty of age discrimination in attitudes while contradictingly being against the death penalty for stopping a human's potential to grow, develop or age any further occasionally of some possibly innocent ones.

and I lived in Houston when Bill White was there, he's the best DEMOCRAT POLITICIAN I've seen in this race, but too slow getting anything done, and usually the wrong thing, IMHO, and he's anti-guns.

Medina is just "whatever the studies funded by big businesses say, that sounds good, I don't know what 'regressive tax' even means" I'll make cool speeches about CHANGE, it worked for Obama... Lets remove LOCAl control and give it to BIGGER Government and tell people we are for individuals rights and against big government, they'll listen to the speeches and ignore the consequences of what we plan to do .... it worked for Obama...
Last edited by RPB on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Mike from Texas

RPB wrote:I still fail to understand why anyone would want to give up LOCAL control (Local property taxes spent locally), and a LOCAL tool to attract businesses and create jobs (Property tax abatement Locally), and give that power to Austin "Big Government"

A pig with makeup and diamonds (Politician proclaiming "It should be this way, I'm against big government, I'm against big business") whose plans mostly benefit big business and big government at the expense of the little guy and LOCAL government power .... is still recognizable by most people as a pig, even with makeup and diamonds on.

I'm going with Perry ....NRA, TSRA supports him, ... Farouk already sent too much money to terrorist areas in the past for my tastes, Kay is guilty of age discrimination in attitudes, and I lived in Houston when Bill White was there, he's the best Democrat I've seen in this race, but slow getting anything done IMHO.
So you are voting for Perry strictly on his NRA, TSRA rating?

That's quite sad actually.

Medina is even more pro gun than Perry if that is the only thing driving your decision.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Dragonfighter wrote:

Chas.
<RANT>

The reality? That is exactly the attitude that has us where we are, choosing between the lesser of two evils and furthering the power hungry machine; same song different verse. Perry is strong in CHL though he doesn't seem to want to change the climate making CHL an additional option but allowing the rest of us subjects to carry as well. The requirement of a CHL IS an infringement.

So by all means, let's not waste our votes in the primary. Let's not run the risk of letting the "more evil" ones have a chance. Let's all bet on the favorite and ensure four more years of imminent domain abuses, foreign levy's through toll roads and favored status to the pharmaceutical contributors foisting more and more dangerous medical practices on us in mandates...oh geez.

Hey, we'll still have our $150.00 privilege of CHL though.

</RANT>

Added in Edit: I'm so torqued right now I had to edit twice for typos :roll:

BTW, notice I haven't posted Hutchison's or the Governor's response? Because they haven't bothered to provide one.
I'm voting for Rick Perry because I want Rick Perry as Governor. I find it interesting when people with opposing views and who support unelectable candidates resort to the erroneous claims that voting for [fill in the blank] is voting for "the lesser of two evils." Medina is not qualified to be Governor; she is not nearly as pro-2A as you might believe; she is rather clearly a Libertarian and I don't agree with their very liberal stance on social issues. You can support her if you wish, but don't tell me I'm voting for the lesser of two evils.

Chas.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 17

Post by RPB »

Mike from Texas wrote:
RPB wrote:I still fail to understand why anyone would want to give up LOCAL control (Local property taxes spent locally), and a LOCAL tool to attract businesses and create jobs (Property tax abatement Locally), and give that power to Austin "Big Government"

I'm going with Perry ....NRA, TSRA supports him, ... Farouk already sent too much money to terrorist areas in the past for my tastes, Kay is guilty of age discrimination in attitudes, and I lived in Houston when Bill White was there, he's the best Democrat I've seen in this race, but slow getting anything done IMHO.
So you are voting for Perry strictly on his NRA, TSRA rating?

That's quite sad actually.
No, you must not have read what I stated closely.
I gave you the reasons I'm not voting for others.
Perry has been our Governor this long for a reason. He didn't break Texas yet.
I could write in H Ross Perot, or Minnie Mouse, but that isn't an option.

I'm voting for Perry because after considering the alternatives, he's the best one, and most qualified for the job.

The fact that the NRA and TSRA ALSO recognize that fact, is an observation, not the decision maker.

The decision against Medina is more that she wants to take away our LOCAL control over OUR tax revenues, and she wants to take away our LOCAL tool of property tax abatement which is used to attract businesses and create jobs LOCALLY in order to benefit big business and big government while the little people have to pay more to make up the difference, yet they give up the LOCAL control over the revenue to allot for the upgrading of our water supply etc because the LOCAL sales tax WE PAID is sent to austin might go for new sidewalks in Hidalgo instead.. It's better now where we use LOCAL taxes to pay for our LOCAL needs.

She was displeased with SB 855, a bill making its way through the Texas Senate. According to her blog,
the bill
"allows local communities to call elections to raise taxes and fees to pay for light rail, roads, and hike & bike trails

She doesn't want us to have our roads fixed if we want, but wants us to send our money to Austin where they decide if we can have money for it or if they want to send OUR money to someplace else like Hidalgo for new sidewalks or whatever.

I prefer LOCAL control of our LOCAL money. She wants Austin's Central "bigger government" to control that which we control locally now. She wants to do away with local control.

She can PROCLAIM that she's against "Big Government and Big Business" but she wants to remove local money and local control and give that control to a gigger government ..... You can put diamonds and makeup on a pig, but I, and many others will still recognize it as a pig. I look at what she says she wants to do, not her proclamations.
Last edited by RPB on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”