How to Fix Congress

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

How to Fix Congress

Post by Oldgringo »

This should apply to all aspects of congressional activities as well as our 2A RKBA.

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!!!!!  

The proposal is to promote a "Congressional Reform Act of 2009." It would contain eight provisions, all of which would probably be strongly endorsed by those who drafted the original Constitution and the Bill of Rights
Proposed Congressional Reform Act of 2009

1. Term Limits: 12 years only, one of the possible options below.
A. Two Six-year Senate terms
B. Six Two-year House terms
C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms
Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

2. No Tenure / No Pension:
A congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.
Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security:
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund moves to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, Congress participates with the American people.

4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan just as all Americans..

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

7. Congress must equally abide in all laws they impose on the American people.

8. All contracts with past and present congressmen are void effective 1/1/10.
The American people did not make this contract with congressmen, congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

Zee
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How to Fix Congress

Post by Zee »

I think term limits is the key. It seems like too much of a magical world the way it is now. If I could get in I don't think I would ever want to leave. The real world must be plenty hard after a few decades in a place where you make your own rules and determine your own pay. Its probably hard to remember the people who sent you there, much less give a real rip about them.
80% Liberal, 90% Democrat, 100% Responsible gun owner.

Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative. John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)

Jesus was a Jewish Liberal

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

yep, agree with everything on the list, the only problem without all those perks being a in Congress would be WORK! Who would want that?
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

couzin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by couzin »

Jut a note on items 3 and 4. Congress has, starting in 1984, had to pay into Social Security. The exception is for those that were on the old Federal retirement system of CSRS (Civil Service Retirement System) prior to 1983 hire (election). They could stay on the CSRS system. FERS (Federal Employee Retirement System) - the retirement system that took over in 1984 for all new hires / elected, pays SS at the same rate as everyone else. Part of FERS also set up the TSP (Thrift Savings Plan) which contributed an amount (1 percent of your pay) to a retirement account and allowed the Fed employee to contribute (if they want) pay amounts up to 5 percent which the Fed will match up to the total 5 percent (1 percent automatic plus 4 percent additional IF the employee puts in 5 percent). The Fed employee can put in additional money but it is not matched and it is limited currently (I think) to no more than 14 percent of total pay (I retired end of 2006 so I don't know what it is now). The TSP account is just like a 401K - you can invest in bonds, selected investment accounts (low to very high risk), or no investment at all. I watched thousands of my dollars disappear a few years back - there are risks.

Other than that - I'm with you...
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Mikel

Post by Mikel »

I like suggestions 1-8.

Now can we get congressional support to introduce a bill that starts at 1 and ends at 8?

stroo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by stroo »

I have a much simpler solution although just as unlikely to ever get passed. Let's quit paying them salaries or perks. Most of our problems began when we began paying Congress a full time salary and perks.
Last edited by stroo on Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Saw this in my old hometown newspaper today. I think it says it all

Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

stroo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by stroo »

The best thing we could do to fix campaign finance laws is to get rid of all the current ones and require candidates to post the identity of all contributors and the amount of all contributions on the web within 5 days of any contribution. That way at least we would know who was buying who and could vote accordingly.

quidni

Post by quidni »

I passed this on, including a link to this thread so proper credit is given. Thanks for the OP!

:thumbs2:
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

lil red

Post by lil red »

Same way you fix your pets.

R_Comstock

Post by R_Comstock »

http://bytestyle.tv/content/bytestyle-a ... slate-2010

This is a good start, I think. Members in TX District 28: your Rep is listed in the black list.
:patriot:
The name's Ross! :)
---
9/20/09 CHL Class
9/21/09 Application mailed
9/23/09 Application received
10/26/09 Letter from DPS: Missing copy of military orders
10/30/09 PIN Received by mail
11/26/09 Application completed
12/03/09 Plastic in hand
Glock 23, Ruger LCP
NRA Life/TSRA Member

Drewthetexan

Post by Drewthetexan »

That's a pipe dream. Why would they ever vote the very privelages they bestowed upon themselves out?

stroo wrote:I have a much simpler solution although just as unlikely to ever get passed. Let's quit paying them salaries or perks. Most of our problems began when we began paying Congress a full time salary and perks.
I disagree. If you remove the salary then the position is unobtainable to all but those who can afford to live for 2 to 6 years or longer without an income. It widens the gap between the constituents and their representatives. I know it wouldn't be much different than it is now, but I really don't like the idea of legislating the poor and middle class out of any potential candidacy. The perks should go, though.

Frost

Post by Frost »

You might as well try to "fix" the mob.
It can happen here.

chabouk
Banned

Post by chabouk »

Drewthetexan wrote:
stroo wrote:I have a much simpler solution although just as unlikely to ever get passed. Let's quit paying them salaries or perks. Most of our problems began when we began paying Congress a full time salary and perks.
I disagree. If you remove the salary then the position is unobtainable to all but those who can afford to live for 2 to 6 years or longer without an income. It widens the gap between the constituents and their representatives.
Generally speaking, it couldn't get much wider.

No one enters Congress without already having access to wealth. Even those who are at lower end of the wealth scale mysteriously leave Congress with more money than they started with.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Our Founding Fathers who drew no salery or perks were WEALTHY men. The issue is not wealth but honesty & integrety.

Those 2 character traits are in some folks "filthy rich" or "dirt poor" & all in between.

They are also completely absent in some folks from all 3 catagories.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”