Another Daily Texan Article

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TracerTong
Posts in topic: 1

Another Daily Texan Article

Post by TracerTong »

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/content ... irrational" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PappaGun

Re: Another Daily Texan Article

Post by PappaGun »

Whenever I see "he or she" by a reporter he or she has already lost me.

That's so PC and I can surmise that the bent is going against me from the start.
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

Kory Zipperer

Post by Kory Zipperer »

Words can hurt :(

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

I just e-mailed this 2006 Virginia Tech article to every Texas Senator and a note about the millions Virginia Taxpayers already paid and that lawsuits are still pending for many millions more, due to foreseeability of what could occur in 2007. I like the part about the teacher saying she'd feel safer if that student was armed. ;-)
http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/commentary/wb/80510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think I have notified them of that before.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

PappaGun wrote:Whenever I see "he or she" by a reporter he or she has already lost me.

That's so PC and I can surmise that the bent is going against me from the start.
Geez. At least “he or she” was used correctly.

The author is a research assistant at UT, meaning at least post-grad. Good grief. Did she do remotely well on the verbal portion of her SAT? Or take any English classes as an undergrad?

“Tony and Kory argued that those, like myself, who oppose...” Correct use is the simple objective pronoun, “me.” “Myself” should only be used reflexively (e.g., “I hurt myself”; “I can manage by myself”) or for a poetic emphasis.

“...Who fears the known presence of a lethal weapon around his or herself or a proponent...” Another penalty flag. In the sentence, “his or herself” is a pronoun phrase acting as a prepositional object. When a pronoun is an object—direct, indirect, or prepositional—it should be in the objective case. “His” is subjective case; “herself” is objective case. “Him” would have been correct. Ain’t all that diificult.

Not infallible, but a simple test is to remove all the unessential words and listen to the way the clause would sound. In this case it would be, “...who fears a weapon around his?” Obviously doesn’t work.

Too, Kathryn Sieverman should learn the handy application of the amazing comma. Not a great example of a post-graduate (or higher) product of one of our state universities.

Sorry for the thread hijack. I’m not sensitive about casual writing, but I expect an article submitted to a third-party for publication to be at least modestly conformant to English grammar...certainly without run-on sentences, and with fewer than one glaring error per 100 words.

But what do I know? I’m just one of those “CHL individuals,” whose sorry lot has “been convicted of thousands of crimes, including murder.” I’m not an academic; not associated with life on any university. I’m just an ignorant peasant, just one among the unwashed masses who believes in the Constitution of the United States and who, yes, will cling to my Bible and my guns.

[ /end rant ]

P.S. Kory, I’m certain you acquitted yourself well. Thank you.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

And on a different UT campus
Campus Police Crime Prevention Officer Pedro Vasquez said some students are not aware that UTB/TSC has police officers on campus.
(This is not untypical of some campuses, Southwestern University in Georgetown only has 6 officers.)
I believe it. I recall going whole semesters without seeing an officer at a couple colleges I attended.

UT-Brownsville

Excerpt above was from:
Sexual assault prevention: everyone’s responsibility
http://utbcollegian.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First I read about "guns on campus" bill there
Marquez says he understands why the legislators want to pass the bill.
But then restricts it to Virginia Tech incidents focus, like the anti group tries to do, rather than self-protection/defense
http://utbcollegian.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Southwestern University in Georgetown only has 6 officers. That's a pretty "peaceful" school, but anything can occur anywhere
http://www.wilcosun.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Southwestern University Students arrested after gun “prank”: Southwestern University police officers arrested sophomore students Christopher C. Nolan, 20, and Garrett R. Bunnell, 19 on Thursday after another student reported seeing the two men driving around campus displaying a gun and pointing it at students. The officers responded and arrested the students after they said they found what SU police chief Deborah Brown described as a toy airsoft gun in the students’ possession. The men were charged with unlawful possession of a weapon and possession of marijuana, both misdemeanors. They were booked in the Williamson County jail and were still waiting to see a judge Friday afternoon.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”