Did my KY CDW class yesterday

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Texasrpbrock
Posts in topic: 1

Did my KY CDW class yesterday

Post by Texasrpbrock »

Hi guys, just wanted to brag about my home state of Texas. I've now been living in Kentucky for almost 6 months. Changed my Texas CHL status to out of state and have been waiting to get certified here in Kentucky. Well... I took my class yesterday and I was a little disappointed. Watched a 2 hour film made for KY's State class. Although with all the breaks... It took 4 hours. Went out to the range and qualified with 20 rounds at about 15 feet. Took my written class and finished it in about 4 mins (25 Questions). Open book class and most of the other students took about 20-40 mins to complete. No review, no nothing. Pat on the back and you'll get what you need in the mail to take to the Sheriff's office. The instructor was good but didn't have the tools needed to teach all the in's and out's of proper CHL training because KY doesn't provide it. I was taught in Texas to notify LEO that "I feared for my life and I would like a lawyer ASAP". Be polite, keep your mouth shut and go downtown for the report with legal aid by your side. They don't teach that here. The last thing you want is to be paying a crackhead's family member's restitution because you shot him when he broke into your house and tried to kill you.

I guess what I'm saying here is Texas has a very superior CHL informative course. Yeah, they may be long and a pain to sit through but if you've taken the class and learned most of the info it will make you a very well informed CHL holder. I have heard how easy it is in other states to acquire a CHL and my opinion is "easy doesn't make it right". Training and education are very important for anyone considering carrying a firearm. I believe in the 2nd amendment but I also believe in accountability for your actions. If properly trained, I truly believe the likelihood of your actions using lethal force could be used against you in a state or civil trail would dramatically decrease if properly taught. Education is key. Texas is doing it right. I wish other states would use Texas as model to provide CHL training. Now I have to wonder even more if the guy sitting next to me one day shoots me by accident instead of his intended attacker. Kinda scary...

:txflag: :patriot:
Proud Texan, NRA Member and TSRA Member. Support your local cotton farmer.

Return to “Other States”