Louisiana

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
stroo
Posts in topic: 3

Louisiana

Post by stroo »

My son in law just took a renewal class. The instructor told the class that in Louisiana parish police look for TX CHLs, then stop them. Then if they are carrying they ask if you have a receipt for your gun. If you don't, they confiscate the gun.

Do any of you know if this is true?

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Louisiana

Post by Oldgringo »

Avoid I-10. At one time it was a snatch and grab; it may still be.

Unfortunately, thanks to Huie P. there ain't but a couple of roads other than the interstates that transverse Louisiana.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

I don't know how they would find cars driven by a CHL. I drive 1-10/12 all the time 6 or 7 times a year for about 15 years, never had a single problem with an LEO. YMMV.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

IF this is true, it would be outrageous. Another good reason for passage of HB822.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

speedsix
Posts in topic: 5

Post by speedsix »

...disagree...keep the Feds' fingers outa CHL...it'll cost us a lot more'n it'll ever help us...as we ought to have learned by now...

...I've heard that rumor about La....down in the Katrina-hit area...there are that caliber (.17) cops in most places...the way you stop 'em is to document and sue the pants off 'em in civil court, with all the media coverage you can rake up...that's the most time-honored method of forcing the governing authority to weed out/retrain as necessary...if they can't get an NCIC hit for stolen on it, they have no probable cause or legal reason to seize anything...
...having said that...I've yet to see documented cases of this happening on the highways...only seizures I've seen proven were during Katrina...so the same old plan works for me: do what's right, keep the law, expect LEO's to do the same, and so far it's worked perfectly in my years...

...if your instructor said it like you wrote it...it shows he doesn't know a lot about La. ...in La., they don't have counties, they have parishes...the LEOs of the parish are Sheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs...then there are state police and city police...not parish police...could be a scary rumor just kinda sneaked into his lesson...there was no law requiring you to carry proof of ownership on any items in your possession other than motor vehicles/boats...

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

C'mon guys, the confiscation of guns and whatever would be/were incidental to the stop along this major drug thoroughfare.

Texas Dan Mosby
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

stroo wrote:My son in law just took a renewal class. The instructor told the class that in Louisiana parish police look for TX CHLs, then stop them. Then if they are carrying they ask if you have a receipt for your gun. If you don't, they confiscate the gun.

Sounds like tinfoil hat wearing silliness to me.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I travel to Louisiana for training classes regularly, I have never heard of this. I'll ask my buddy in La about this.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Texas Dan Mosby wrote:
stroo wrote:My son in law just took a renewal class. The instructor told the class that in Louisiana parish police look for TX CHLs, then stop them. Then if they are carrying they ask if you have a receipt for your gun. If you don't, they confiscate the gun.

Sounds like tinfoil hat wearing silliness to me.
Newp. There was an exposé of these shenanigans by the parish 'paterollers' some years back. Maybe the've outgrown it with time. Even so, I-10 through Louisiana is a terrible road to ride. Food's good though.

Topic author
stroo

Post by stroo »

The "parish police" was my mistake not the instructor's. Sorry.

To be clear, according to this instructor, they acknowledge the CHL, but they confiscate the weapon carried if you don't have a receipt. If you do have a receipt, they let you go with your gun.

To identify you, they run your license and can tell if you have a CHL.

Sounded kind of hokie to me, which is why I asked the question here.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

A CHL does not show up on a license plate run. Additionally, if they ran a check through Louisiana's system on the name that the license plate came back to, it would not show CHL status. I believe the only remote way would be if they ran a check back by calling Texas DPS and requested the information. So, sounds like a fallacy to me.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...it is kind of hokie...no law that I'm aware of requires you to show ownership of a firearm in your possession...or allows them to routinely confiscate them if you can't...they must find that it's stolen or you've broken another law which enables them to confiscate it...I carried in La. for 20 years...open, concealed, in car...policed for almost 8 years...never heard of such a thing until the "magnifinet" a few months ago...sounds like another version of the "rap-ride" boogeyman...

Texas Dan Mosby
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

stroo wrote:The "parish police" was my mistake not the instructor's. Sorry.

To be clear, according to this instructor, they acknowledge the CHL, but they confiscate the weapon carried if you don't have a receipt. If you do have a receipt, they let you go with your gun.

To identify you, they run your license and can tell if you have a CHL.

Sounded kind of hokie to me, which is why I asked the question here.
Ask yourself if this makes any kind of sense whatsoever....

It doesn't.

I don't carry a receipt for my automobile, does that mean it is subject to confiscation? No.

The notion of sworn LEO's, regardless of the jurisdiction, confiscating personal property on the grounds that "they don't have a receipt" is simply ludicrous, as that is a civil suit just waiting to happen. And they KNOW that.

IMO, this information is completely bogus.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Y'all are right. Since this never happened to me, it must have never happened to anybody. :oops: What was I thinking?

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...seems that if it's happened, it'd be documented and screamed about on the net...even if no civil suit's been filed...I haven't seen a word about it...and the grabbing during Katrina in NOLA's all over the net...not saying it hasn't happened, just asking "Where's the Beef???"

Return to “Other States”