Going to Tahoe

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
PJK
Posts in topic: 4

Going to Tahoe

Post by PJK »

I am going to Tahoe, Nevada side, with a 1 day trip into California. We are actually flying into Reno and renting a car. We are driving into Truckee, CA for one night at a Cousin's house and then back to a resort south of Reno. I have a Texas CHL and no other states license. I also know that California and Nevada do not allow concealed carry on my person.

My question is really around protection when driving. Can I carry my gun with me on the plane and have it in a vehicle there as well as in my home? Does anyone know the proper transport and hotel laws in CA and NV? I did a search and did not find anything on here.

"Why are there mass shootings in gun free zones? The same reason there are non at gun ranges"

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Going to Tahoe

Post by Oldgringo »

See http://www.handgunlaw.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your Texas CHL ain't welcome in either state; however, both'll be more than happy to take your money.

Topic author
PJK

Post by PJK »

I know the CHL is not welcome. My question is more around if either state has a law like the MPA here. You can have in your car and in your hotel, but not in you waistband.

"Why are there mass shootings in gun free zones? The same reason there are non at gun ranges"

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

PJK wrote:I know the CHL is not welcome. My question is more around if either state has a law like the MPA here. You can have in your car and in your hotel, but not in you waistband.
Definitely not in CA! This is the same as concealed carry on your person and is against the law and you will be arrested.
Last edited by WildBill on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
PJK

Post by PJK »

Thanks. That is what I thought. I did research and could not find any laws there, and I knew my friends here would be able to help.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

PJK wrote:Thanks. That is what I thought. I did research and could not find any laws there, and I knew my friends here would be able to help.
Check this out for California - http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The laws in Nevada differ so YMMV.
NRA Endowment Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

PJK wrote:I know the CHL is not welcome. My question is more around if either state has a law like the MPA here. You can have in your car and in your hotel, but not in you waistband.
California is basically a 'unloaded and locked in the trunk of the car' state. Additionally, you can't have a magazine capacity of more than 10 rounds in that state.

In Nevada, car carry is legal per this AG ruling http://ag.state.nv.us/publications/ago/ ... .pdf#93-14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. And, any no guns sign are valid in California and Nevada, so if you have to pass one to get into your room, then you would be in violation IMO, but IANAL. :nono:

Bottom line, if it is only for one day, it will probably be more hassle to take it into CA IMO.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:In Nevada, car carry is legal per this AG ruling http://ag.state.nv.us/publications/ago/ ... .pdf#93-14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. And, any no guns sign are valid in California and Nevada, so if you have to pass one to get into your room, then you would be in violation IMO, but IANAL. :nono:

Bottom line, if it is only for one day, it will probably be more hassle to take it into CA IMO.
Thanks for the Nevada link Keith!

PJK - If you have never been to Lake Tahoe before you are in for a treat. It is one of the most beautiful areas in the world. Even if you don't take your gun bring your camera.
NRA Endowment Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Nevada has Open Carry: http://www.nsrpa.us/legal/nevlocal.html

Nevada also has statewide preemption. However, several counties - Clark County (Las Vegas area) among them - have grandfathered in local preemption and Open Carry is not allowed in those counties.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

denwego

Post by denwego »

The law was thankfully amended in 2007. There aren't any grandfathered laws under Nevada's preemption anymore, except for Clark County's requirement that pistols be registered by residents of the county by their 60th day of establishing a domicile.
Among the changes were NRS 244.364, 268.418, and 269.222, which were amended to state:

Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county, city nor town may infringe upon those rights and powers.

Further, NRS 244.364, 268.418, and 269.222 state:

The governing body of a county/city/town may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms. If the governing body of a city in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the governing body shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require: (a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the city before registration of such a firearm is required. (b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the city upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

Lastly, Section 5 of Chapter 308, Statutes of Nevada 1989, at page 653, was amended to read as follows:

The provisions of this act, as amended on October 1, 2007, apply to ordinances or regulations adopted before, on or after June 13, 1989.
As long as you carry openly, you'll be fine in Nevada. I myself wouldn't carry in California, even if I felt I knew every last one of their crazy unconstitutional laws.

Edit - A very helpful point to remember: "concealed" in Nevada means "concealed on the person" in a literal sense. You can carry concealed in your car as long as your weapon isn't concealed on your person itself; glove box, console, briefcase, etc., are all OK. AG opinion here backs this up: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agop ... cealed.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Its interesting that Nevada recognizes few permits from other states, and a Nevada non-resident permit requires you to attend training in Nevada, but open carry is fine :-)
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Topic author
PJK

Post by PJK »

Thank you everyone for the great information! I really appreciate it.

I Just flew back after spending a few days in Bogota, Colombia. I was at alert level orange the whole time there as I had no gun or even knife as you can imagine. I am a very blonde American, and the whole time there I only saw two other blondes. I felt like my hair was screaming, look at me! I think this is what precipitated my question.

It will be very hard to open carry in Tahoe since it will still be cold there requiring a jacket, and I really don't want to draw attention to me. I may squeeze some timE out and try to get the non-resident permit.

Return to “Other States”