Questions about Connecticut CHL

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Ace_Inthe_O
Posts in topic: 2

Questions about Connecticut CHL

Post by Ace_Inthe_O »

I visit Connecticut very often and have decided to apply for a non-resident CT CHL. I realize they are not a shall issue state but they are very close. Does anyone know if additional training is required beyond the TX CHL course? They mention something on the website about the NRA basic handgun course or an equivalent. Second question from what I understand in certain states you can buy a long gun even if you are not a resident of that state as long as the laws of your home state are followed in the transaction, so being a resident of Texas if I purchase a long gun in CT (which has a 14 day waiting period) would I be exempt from this waiting period? Any suggestions?
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

coltm4223
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Questions about Connecticut CHL

Post by coltm4223 »

I was a resident of CT for 18 years before moving to the Great State of Texas. Got my CT pistol permit when I turned 18 and I've renewed it every 5 years as a non-resident. I have never had any trouble getting or renewing my license(they send the renewal pack to my Texas address)but I got it as a resident first and I took the NRA course. The Texas CHL class is more comprehensive than the NRA class but I don't know for sure if they accept that in-lew-of the NRA. They might as well be shall-issue, my brother just got his license and he has had a troubled past with drugs, theft and forgery. But he has been a productive member of society for eight years now. They denied him at first so he hired a lawyer and got it approved within a month. As far as a long gun, CT has a funky AWB so I never entertained that thought much. But I when I lived there the pistol permit waived the background check and waiting period even for a long gun purchase.

rkeller
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rkeller »

Ace,
I recently got my CT permit as a resident of Texas. Basically, I called CT and requested that they send me the packet with all the forms and instuctions. The instructions said I needed (1) two new sets of finger prints, (2) passport photos, (3) fill out their forms, (4) a copy of my TX permit, (5) a copy of the TR-100 from my Texas CHL class (proof of taking the safety class), (6) copy of my birth certificate, and (7) about $70 in one check and one postal money order. Sent it all to them and about 60 days later got my CT license. Pretty easy. I do not know the answers to you long guns questions. Good luck!
The best way to survive a gun fight is to be somewhere else. If the you cannot be somewhere else, then have a gun. -Clint Smith (and probably others)

Topic author
Ace_Inthe_O
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ace_Inthe_O »

Thank you for the help!!
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Other States”