Road trip question.

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
texasmusic
Posts in topic: 3

Road trip question.

Post by texasmusic »

OK, buddy of mine asked me this question. I've been looking up the relevant states' carry laws but here's the details if you guys can help me.

Buddy has no CHL. 1 handgun making this trip. Long stay in FL for the summertime.

Traveling from Texas to FL. Passing through LA, MS, AL, and FL.

What procedure should be followed here, from what I understand GOPA should allow the gun to be transported freely despite the state or local laws (unloaded, locked in trunk etc.). I saw Alabama does not have a MPA equivalent law, requires unloaded and locked.

When in FL, moving gun into apartment. Concealed without liscense? Locked in case or open?

Once inside, any special requirements for storage?

Thanks for the help, I'm not trying to shirk the research on this. I figured someone might have been in a similar situation and have some info on tap. :cheers2:
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Road trip question.

Post by The Annoyed Man »

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/packngo/

The web-application linked above will tell him everything he needs to know about each of the states he'll be passing through. Here are the results for his trip: http://apps.carryconcealed.net/packngo/ ... a,florida,
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Tamie

Post by Tamie »

If his stay in Florida is long enough, he should look into a walk-in application for their license. Turn around time has been reported as two weeks for walk-ins.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Tamie wrote:If his stay in Florida is long enough, he should look into a walk-in application for their license. Turn around time has been reported as two weeks for walk-ins.
Ah...the infamous "Florida Loophole". In two weeks he will get a license that he can use to carry when he gets back to Texas, instead of the interminable wait for a Texas CHL. Where is (State) Rep. Burnam on this?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

ScottDLS wrote:
Tamie wrote:If his stay in Florida is long enough, he should look into a walk-in application for their license. Turn around time has been reported as two weeks for walk-ins.
Ah...the infamous "Florida Loophole". In two weeks he will get a license that he can use to carry when he gets back to Texas, instead of the interminable wait for a Texas CHL. Where is (State) Rep. Burnam on this?
I'll bring this up and see what he says. Thanks for the link to that site, worked very well.

My only other question is, how to transport into the apartment?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

texasmusic wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
I'll bring this up and see what he says. Thanks for the link to that site, worked very well.

Without a CHL, unloaded and cased. Would also not let others see it while moving in. Apartment complexes have a lot of eyes and just knowing there are firearms in the apartment can invite unsavory guests who enter while you are not there.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

Keith B wrote:
texasmusic wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:

Without a CHL, unloaded and cased. Would also not let others see it while moving in. Apartment complexes have a lot of eyes and just knowing there are firearms in the apartment can invite unsavory guests who enter while you are not there.
Thanks Keith, just what I was thinking. Leave it in one of the suitcases for the duration of the trip and unpack with everything else.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Keith B wrote: Without a CHL, unloaded and cased. Would also not let others see it while moving in. Apartment complexes have a lot of eyes and just knowing there are firearms in the apartment can invite unsavory guests who enter while you are not there.
Very good advice.
Even moving house to house I waited until dark to unload the truck, and concealed anything of value between truck-> house.
Also, the house down the street just got a fancy new TV, evidenced by the carton in the garbage by the curb all week ...
I cut stuff up/shred things a lot :mrgreen:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

XoZe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by XoZe »

Excellent thread! A friend and I are planning a motorcycle trip from Texas to Alaska and I want to make sure that I am legal all the way. The only issue I find is that we are crossing into Canada, so I would need a place to leave the handgun in Washington. Would there be an issue leaving it in a safety deposit box at a branch of my banking institution? Would I have to leave it with a FFL dealer? Any ideas? I have already emailed Washington asking them, but I would appreciate any additional input.

BTW here is the log we'll be keeping:
http://irregulartrips.blogspot.com/

para driver

Post by para driver »

Pretty sure Canada is going to be "NO" unless you have a valid hunting trip booked.. and that's probably only rifles/shotguns in that case...

I don't see why you can't use a safe deposit box, just don't make a big deal of what your are storing in there.. I've done it. :nono:

XoZe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by XoZe »

para driver wrote:Pretty sure Canada is going to be "NO" unless you have a valid hunting trip booked.. and that's probably only rifles/shotguns in that case...

I don't see why you can't use a safe deposit box, just don't make a big deal of what your are storing in there.. I've done it. :nono:
Yeah, I don't plan on taking it to Canada which is why I would need a place to leave it in Washington State. I'm pretty good most of the way as it will be through states with reciprocity, it's just those 4 on the west. I assume I could have it locked & unloaded on the bike through those as I would be considered to be traveling.

Kirk

Post by Kirk »

:cheers2: Great site! Thanks
KE5HLZ
NRA Life Member

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

XoZe wrote:Would there be an issue leaving it in a safety deposit box at a branch of my banking institution? Would I have to leave it with a FFL dealer? Any ideas?
As a Texas resident, it seems to me that you can legally leave your handgun with a Washington FFL but I don't think the Washington FFL can legally transfer the handgun back to you because you wouldn't be a Washington resident.

One easy thing to research would be a storage locker. I rented one form Public Storage as part of decluttering my house in Ohio to get it ready to show. They charged $1 for the first month's rent, no minimum term. Have a good lock with you, rent a locker for a buck, cancel the storage when you return.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “Other States”