Utah License Update

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Matt Fleming
Posts in topic: 1

Utah License Update

Post by Matt Fleming »

Here's the latest from the Texas Association of Concealed Carry Instructors and the TSRA:

Here is an excerpt from the TSRA Sportsman July/August edition, it is written by Alice Tripp, TSRA's number one lobbyist with her boots on the ground, steadily making headway on behalf of Texans....send her some money, the cause needs it. To read up on her work and articles go to http://www.tsra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and click on "Tripp Talk."

Following is her discussion on the Utah CHL matter:
"...Still on the subject of our concealed handgun license, the State of Utah allows their CHL class to be taught outside the state, not the case with the Texas license. A Texas instructor must present the Texas CHL class in Texas. Last month New Mexico cancelled their reciprocity agreement due to this practice and other states may soon follow. You see the Urah license doen't require the license(e)* to shoot; the class is a bit shorter, and a bit cheaper. The Texan with the Utah license knows nothing about Texas law which is at the heart of the Texas course.

We started hearing about Utah classes in Texas when DPS became so far behind in processing new and renewed applications. The classes are still being marketed in newspaper ads and over the internet.

Now, I'm hearing if a Texan is stopped with a Texas driver's license and a Utah CHL, they should expect to be on the side of the road for a very long time while their license is verified. They won't be waltzing into the Capitol. Out of state license verification may not come quickly when driver's license and the concealed handgun license aren't from the same state. It raises a red flag."

Alice Tripp
TSRA Sportsman
July/August 2010 edition
page 7
Matt Fleming
TPW Hunter Ed Instructor - 1989
NRA Instructor - 1992
NRA Training Counselor - 1996

G26ster

Re: Utah License Update

Post by G26ster »

bestshotrange wrote: Last month New Mexico cancelled their reciprocity agreement due to this practice and other states may soon follow.
Who did NM cancel their reciprocity with, Utah or Texas?

Bowed_Up_Onaspeck

Post by Bowed_Up_Onaspeck »

bestshotrange wrote:Now, I'm hearing if a Texan is stopped with a Texas driver's license and a Utah CHL, they should expect to be on the side of the road for a very long time while their license is verified. They won't be waltzing into the Capitol. Out of state license verification may not come quickly when driver's license and the concealed handgun license aren't from the same state. It raises a red flag."
One of the main reasons I have my Resident Texas CHL.
G26ster wrote:
bestshotrange wrote: Last month New Mexico cancelled their reciprocity agreement due to this practice and other states may soon follow.
Who did NM cancel their reciprocity with, Utah or Texas?

I beleive NM cancel reciprocity with Utah.
Nevada CFP
Applied 04/23/10
Plastic 06/22/10
Utah CFP
Applied 04/28/10
Plastis 06/26/10
Texas CHL
Mailed 05/11/10
Plastic 07/06/10
9mm
  • Kahr PM9
    Sig 239
    Glock 34

sss
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sss »

bestshotrange wrote:"Now, I'm hearing if a Texan is stopped with a Texas driver's license and a Utah CHL, they should expect to be on the side of the road for a very long time while their license is verified."
I chose to go with a Florida Non-Resident "CWL" rather than the Texas CHL and have not found this to be the case at all. I've had quite a few interactions with law enforcement in recent memory:

June 2009 (Houston, Traffic Stop)
July 2009 (Houston, Accident)
September 2009 (Houston, Witnessed DUI)
February 2010 (Houston, Witnessed Fatal Accident)
June 2010 (Houston, Traffic Stop)

All of these were quick with no problems whatsoever coming up about my out-of-state concealed carry license. It may be different for Utah licensees or in other parts of the state, but my experience with the Florida CWL has been perfect.

I have to say that I'm really disappointed to see someone this high up at the TSRA spew such nonsense about non-resident licenses. Why would a valid non-resident license raise "a red flag" to a LEO? There are quite a few perfectly valid and legitimate reasons for getting a non-resident license rather than the Texas license -- discouraging carry by law abiding non-resident licensees just seems silly to me. :(
Carrying since 02/06/2009.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

sss wrote: I chose to go with a Florida Non-Resident "CWL" rather than the Texas CHL....
What I think is ironic is that Florida issues non-resident licenses, but they do not honor a non-resident licenses in their state. Which makes me wonder it your license would be honored in Florida even though they issued it??
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

sss
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sss »

Keith B wrote:Which makes me wonder it your license would be honored in Florida even though they issued it??
Florida honors its own non-resident licenses. I've had no problems with it on my trips over there.
Carrying since 02/06/2009.

almostfree

Post by almostfree »

I have had a couple of interactions with law enforcement when I only had my AZ CWP before I got my Texas CHL. In neither case was it a big deal.

Return to “Other States”