Pennsylvania License In 10 Days

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
bigolbigun
Posts in topic: 1

Pennsylvania License In 10 Days

Post by bigolbigun »

Just received my Pennsylvania Handgun license in the mail today. Only took them 10 days from the day I mailed it out. That's some turnaround. Of course it's just a piece of paper,but what do you want for $26. I read about the availability of it on this site and thought I would give it a go. It will give me a 13 month window to renew my CHL after it expires next time. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

jaf

Re: Pennsylvania License In 10 Days

Post by jaf »

I was just talking with a CHL holder who told me to do the same thing. Makes a lot of sense to me and with that kind of turn around time and 26 bucks why not. Sounds like a win win.
07/10/2008 - Class taken
07/16/2008 - DPS received packet
08/08/2008 - Pin mailed
08/26/2008 - Application Completed - license issued or certificate active.
08/28/2008 - License received.

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

My PA license also took just 10 days.(July 30-Aug.9)
I bet James Dark gets a Christmas card from Sheriff Denny Nau this year. :cheers2: Let's see $26 X ...........
Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Same thing with my New Hampshire license, I had it in my hand in 10 days from the time I mailed off my form.

Surely, Texas can do better than the 120-150 days they are currently taking......sheeeesh! :roll:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

brianko
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by brianko »

My renewal application just got kicked back due to a bad fingerprinting job by a local PD that will remain nameless. Now that I'm within 30 days of expiration, with no hope of seeing plastic in hand by that time, I was considering a PA non-res permit. My question: How do TX LEOs respond to non-res permits when it's obvious you're a resident of TX? Are there any hassles possible, or do they just go about their business as if you'd displayed a valid TX permit?
A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
Member GOA (life), JPFO

boomerang
Posts in topic: 3

Post by boomerang »

Do they check the references?
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

How exactly did you go about getting the PA permit?
non-conformist CHL holder

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

brianko
Banned

Post by brianko »

Here's the link for the PA/TX reciprocity agreement:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... rocity.pdf

But let's face it: If you're stopped in TX with an expired CHL, and present a valid non-resident PA permit, both you and the LEO know what is going on. Could your carrying of these two items be construed as an attempt to circumvent TX CHL law? That's the last thing I need, to be stopped in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night, trying to explain why I'm carrying an expired TX CHL permit...
Member GOA (life), JPFO

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

brianko wrote:Could your carrying of these two items be construed as an attempt to circumvent TX CHL law? That's the last thing I need, to be stopped in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night, trying to explain why I'm carrying an expired TX CHL permit...
1. You don't need a CHL to carry in your car if you're not a gang member or other criminal.
2. Reciprocity is part of the law. If you carry on a reciprocal license, you're obeying the law.
3. Why would you be carrying an expired TX CHL?
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

brianko
Banned

Post by brianko »

boomerang wrote: 3. Why would you be carrying an expired TX CHL?
I doubt I'll get my renewal before my current CHL expires in October now that it's been kicked back due to a bad fingerprinting job. I would expect an LE will know my carry status once they run my DL. I'm of the belief that showing you CHL up front (even if you're just carrying in the glove box or elsewhere) is simply good manners. Like turning on your interior light at night, or keeping both hands visible...neither required, both smart.

Yes, I'm aware car carry is legal without a CHL. Without going into a lot of detail, I sometimes find myself in federally-mandated "gun-free" zones, and I'd rather not tempt fate and my knowledge (or lack thereof) of the law by having a firearm in a gun-free zone without my CHL. I simply consider it additional insurance against unnecessary hassles.
Member GOA (life), JPFO

amber

Post by amber »

brianko wrote:Yes, I'm aware car carry is legal without a CHL. Without going into a lot of detail, I sometimes find myself in federally-mandated "gun-free" zones, and I'd rather not tempt fate and my knowledge (or lack thereof) of the law by having a firearm in a gun-free zone without my CHL. I simply consider it additional insurance against unnecessary hassles.
A PA or NH license doesn't help with that in TX. Even if you're a PA or NH resident.

brianko
Banned

Post by brianko »

amber wrote:
brianko wrote:Yes, I'm aware car carry is legal without a CHL. Without going into a lot of detail, I sometimes find myself in federally-mandated "gun-free" zones, and I'd rather not tempt fate and my knowledge (or lack thereof) of the law by having a firearm in a gun-free zone without my CHL. I simply consider it additional insurance against unnecessary hassles.
A PA or NH license doesn't help with that in TX. Even if you're a PA or NH resident.
Doesn't help with what? Carrying concealed in a gun-free zone? That's something that's superseded only by a TX CHL? I don't recall seeing that exception in the MOU that Perry signed regarding reciprocity with PA...
Member GOA (life), JPFO

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

brianko wrote:
amber wrote:A PA or NH license doesn't help with that in TX. Even if you're a PA or NH resident.
Doesn't help with what? Carrying concealed in a gun-free zone? That's something that's superseded only by a TX CHL? I don't recall seeing that exception in the MOU that Perry signed regarding reciprocity with PA...
Reciprocity has nothing to do with it. The (federal) Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995 bans firearms near schools, with a couple of exceptions. One exception is being on private property; another is having a license to carry a concealed firearm issued by the state in which the school is located, if the license is only issued after passing after a background check.

In short: only some states' license meet the standard, and only in the state of issuance.

brianko
Banned

Post by brianko »

KBCraig wrote:One exception is being on private property; another is having a license to carry a concealed firearm issued by the state in which the school is located, if the license is only issued after passing after a background check.
That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks. A bit of searching based upon the information you posted here turned up this cite for future reference:

18USC922 (q)(2)(B)(ii)

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/922.html
Member GOA (life), JPFO

Return to “Other States”