TX Resident using Utah CHL to carry ?

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

I recently went through Linda's (llwatson) class and was only going to get the Utah permit. My reasoning it was cheaper; $62.50 for the first 5 years, $10 for renewal for 5 years, no renewal class requirement and it covered the states I usually traveled to.

However, after leaving the class and thinking long and hard, I decided it was better to have the resident permit, even though it was more money, due to some restrictions with the non-resident one.

With the resident permit you get the Gun Free School Zone waiver, the NICS bypass and also less confusion if stopped when showing your ID. Also, several states will only recognize your permit as reciprocal if it is the resident permit; non-resident permits are not accepted (Florida and Colorado for a couple of examples.)

Luckily, Linda makes you go through the whole class for Texas, so I paid them the extra $$ for the additional paperwork and am now in 'application processing' status for both permits!

I want to mention that Linda and Marty do an EXTRODINARY job with their classes. They really make it fun and I learned a lot (even though it was 580 degrees on the range in August!) :lol: I highly recommend them!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

coltm4223

Post by coltm4223 »

I have Connecticut Pistol Permit that I got when I turned 18 back in 1985. I always renewed it since it was only $35.00 for five years. I carry that in Texas since they honor it and there is no reqiurement for renewal training and its cheaper. I've been stopped for speeding once and the trooper questioned me about it. He reccomended that I get a TX CHL but thats as far as the conversation went on that subject. I've also been inspected twice(I drive a truck for a living)and the trooper was more interested in what I was packing then where my license was from.

Fragger
Posts in topic: 2

Re: TX Resident using Utah CHL to carry ?

Post by Fragger »

If the Texas state statue says you can't carry because of a default in a student loan then why would texas allow you to carry under a Utah "Non Resident "?? I would say you are not entitled to carry in Texas!!
Sig Guy wrote:Hi All

I am Houston resident who cant get a Texas CHL at the moment because of a defaulted student loan.

Can I use a Utah non-resident CHL to carry in Texas ?

At a local gun shop i was told that i could,but some Officers aren't up to date with reciprocity laws and will see a non-resident CHL invalid.

Has any Texas residents been pulled over carrying with a non resident CHL and how did it go ?

Thanks for any responses

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Fragger wrote:If the Texas state statue says you can't carry because of a default in a student loan then why would texas allow you to carry under a Utah "Non Resident "?? I would say you are not entitled to carry in Texas!!
Fortunately, the people in charge of enforcing the laws follow the rules, instead of opinions about what people should be "entitled" to.

Fragger

Post by Fragger »

One , just one reason this country is going down the tubes !!
KBCraig wrote:
Fragger wrote:If the Texas state statue says you can't carry because of a default in a student loan then why would texas allow you to carry under a Utah "Non Resident "?? I would say you are not entitled to carry in Texas!!
Fortunately, the people in charge of enforcing the laws follow the rules, instead of opinions about what people should be "entitled" to.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

There are subtle differences in CHL qualifications in various states. We simply can't get into denying reciprocity rights based upon these minor differences. It would be impossible to enforce on the street and the legislative response would be to do away with reciprocity, rather than shoulder law enforcement with that burden.

As for student loans, taxes, child support, etc., I want to see those requirements repealed. In my view, they are unconstitutional. The Texas Constitution allows the Legislature to regulate the wearing of arms to prevent crime. Taxes, student loans, child support, etc. are purely revenue provisions that have nothing to do with crime prevention, thus they violate our Constitution. Equally important is the fact that they increase the time required to complete a background check, because of the work required at the local level.

Chas.

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

I know that if you are a resident of Kansas you cannot have a non resident chl from another state and carry there you have to have a valid kansas chl,they wanta reap the money from their citizens for a license is my guess

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:There are subtle differences in CHL qualifications in various states. We simply can't get into denying reciprocity rights based upon these minor differences. It would be impossible to enforce on the street and the legislative response would be to do away with reciprocity, rather than shoulder law enforcement with that burden.

As for student loans, taxes, child support, etc., I want to see those requirements repealed. In my view, they are unconstitutional. The Texas Constitution allows the Legislature to regulate the wearing of arms to prevent crime. Taxes, student loans, child support, etc. are purely revenue provisions that have nothing to do with crime prevention, thus they violate our Constitution. Equally important is the fact that they increase the time required to complete a background check, because of the work required at the local level.

Chas.
Let me know when this gets written and presented. I'll be on my knees praying for it everyday. It's my pet peeve.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Return to “Other States”