Which AR?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
RJGold
Posts in topic: 12

Which AR?

Post by RJGold »

I know this may be like asking which ice cream is best or which pickup is best, but here goes...

I want an AR. I've just now started to think about it and haven't done much looking. I figured there are many on this forum who have their favorite formats and accessories. I think I want a shorter model (and / or collapsible stock). I'd like to be able to use open sights and optics (not sure if that's possible). I'd like to buy a production model instead of building one.

With that as background, any advice from the forum would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

(Buy the way, it's Rocky Road and Ford for me)
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

Wes
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Which AR?

Post by Wes »

Well, if ud said Chevy I might could have helped ya ;)

I've bought two full pre built, a bushmaster and a smith, bought two partially assembled (full upper, full lower) both from palmetto state, and then built one from scratch.

All shoot fine and none have encountered any problems. The same could probably be said for 99 % of them sold today. Your truck example is spot on. They'll all do the job, some like ford and some like Chevy.

I think the only thing to really determine what to get is what is your budget. I'd loved a sig but they're a bit pricey so the smith had to do. I wanted a lower priced back up and the bushmaster fit the bill. It has all the same features really, and blindfolded I'd never know which is which.

The better question for you to decide on might be the individual features. Barrel twist and lining, feed ramp type, assist button or not, ambidextrous controls, etc. Answer some of these questions for yourself, then find brands that have it, and look at some reviews of the ones available.

Any of them you can get flip up iron sights to go on it along with a scope or red dot. A integrated front site can be used with a scope too, it's called cowitness. Most standard models are 16" which is shortest you can get without a tax stamp, 20" ones seem more for higher end precision shooting models. The stock on any of them can be replaced but even the cheapos I got from palmetto had collapsible stocks.

When you start talking accessories, I think that's where things really get deep. So many slings and optics to choose from, not to mention better parts all around. Then there is piston kits and even stock ones with it. A trigger is a good first upgrade IMO and I really like the stocks with the anti wobble feature.

Take your time and just read some reviews, it's a long fun road. I'm no expert, bought my first about two years ago. Good luck!new thing I would recommend tho is some ar classes after you get it, I've been shooting since I was 6 and learned a ton about the gun and how to handle it in just a few classes.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

roughneck266

Post by roughneck266 »

I'm certain you will get a million different answers for this. We have sold a lot of WIndhams, diamondbacks, obviously the DPMS and Bushmaster stuff is alright, although I am not as impressed with Bushmasters as I used to be. If price is a major consideration, you might want to have a look at a S&W Sporter model, should be able to locate on of them in the $600 range, they have a standard front sight and a Magpul Mbus rear, should work with most red dots and such, we have sold quite a few of them, and have never had one come back that wasnt for operator error. The above post is a good one. Decide what twist you want first, especially. That will determine what projectile weight you will be good for.
There are loads of others out there, Bravo, YHM, etc... Good luck, man.

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ghostrider »

Vanilla and Chevrolet :-)

got a budget in mind for the AR?

I'm happy with Bushmaster, but if your budget is $2k, my answer will be different :-)
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

This thread or a thread like it was posted for me when I asked the same question here a couple years ago. I started out thinking I wanted a rifle under $1k and after a lot of reading decided I would go up to $2k. In the end, when it came time to lay down some cash, I ended up spending about $1,250 and I'm very happy with what I ended up with.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are certainly other websites that also have good information. This could be just a starting point for you.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
RJGold

Post by RJGold »

ghostrider wrote:
Vanilla and Chevrolet :-)

got a budget in mind for the AR?

I'm happy with Bushmaster, but if your budget is $2k, my answer will be different :-)
Hadn't thought much about budget. From what I've seen I figured I'd spend between $1K and $1.5K. I haven't looked enough to know if spending $2K gets me that much more in terms of quality, value, or features.

Any thoughts on the difference between $1K and $2K in terms of what you get?

Thanks.
Take Care.
RJ

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Which AR?
1) The one you like
2) The one you can afford.

I recommend to start with new COLT 6940 at Walmart it should be around $1K.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 343162#PIC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another option, a rifle that I have, SIG M400 Enhanced.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =388287912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
RJGold

Post by RJGold »

C-dub wrote:This thread or a thread like it was posted for me when I asked the same question here a couple years ago. I started out thinking I wanted a rifle under $1k and after a lot of reading decided I would go up to $2k. In the end, when it came time to lay down some cash, I ended up spending about $1,250 and I'm very happy with what I ended up with.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are certainly other websites that also have good information. This could be just a starting point for you.
Thank you. Great article.
Take Care.
RJ

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Very happy with my Daniel Defense and Aimpoint Pro. :thumbs2:

My wife is happy with her Spikes Tactical and Aimpoint Pro, but then that is just an excuse for me to have two. :lol::

jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

RJGold wrote:
Any thoughts on the difference between $1K and $2K in terms of what you get?

Thanks.
The brand name. I've never owned LWRC, Daniel Defense, Noveske or other top tier brand ARs but I've shot a Noveske before and handle the others in gun stores. They look nice, that was all I was able to gather from it. The Noveske shoots no different than the ARs I've built for half the price. You can sell them for nearly the same price as what you paid, which is a plus.
-jchan

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Buy a Colt LE6920. It's the standard. And can be had for under $1k.

Others at or around that price worth a look are LMT, Bravo Company, and a basic Daniel Defense.

All 4 of those brands are good to go.

At no point should you consider: Rock River or Bushmaster.

Value brands that are ok: Spikes, S&W, Rainier Arms
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Superman

Post by Superman »

I'd read this too:

http://forums.officer.com/t81462/

It's similar to the other linked thread, but I think this one is slightly better (although it's along the same lines). It also has MANY pages of replies and more info. NOTE: the original post is a little old, so the actual brands suggestions have changed from his original post.

I was in the same boat as you...wanted whole gun, ready out of the box...didn't want to build it. I narrowed down to these two brands:

My first choice = Daniel Defense: https://danieldefense.com/

But this one was really good too and was my second choice = BCM: http://bravocompanymfg.com/

I was planning on getting a BCM because it was more in my price range, but then I got a smoking deal on a Daniel Defense M4V3 so I had to take advantage. I totally love my Daniel Defense and have absolutely no regrets getting it.

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ghostrider »

I'd like to be able to use open sights and optics (not sure if that's possible).
There's some discussion & pics here for one option:
http://www.longislandfirearms.com/forum ... on-sights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

The one you build yourself.

jmra

Post by jmra »

MeMelYup wrote:The one you build yourself.
:iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”