Started working on a case for my AR **FINISHED**

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jiannichan
Posts in topic: 5

Started working on a case for my AR **FINISHED**

Post by jiannichan »

I want something a little more discreet when I want to bring my rifle out of my home to take into the car. I just moved into an apt so, I don't want to carry out a tactical bag where the neighbors can see.

So, this case started out as a Roadrunner Express bag for an electric guitar.

It isn't finished yet but I will post the finished results. If I remember to take pictures during the process I will post those as well.
It required about 3 cans of the Great Stuff for windows and doors. I just started it Saturday and had to pick up another can yesterday and fill in the spots where the foam sunk and didn't cure in time. Not positive on the reason but I think it is because not enough airflow was getting to it. I might need a 4th can though. I was hoping it would only take me 2 days to complete but it looks like it might take me this whole week or maybe I will finish it by Wednesday. I have some 3M adhesive spray that I will use to lay some felt cloth over the foam after it is carved out for my rifle, mags and maybe if I have the room, a pistol and a couple mags. I have not decided on the color of the felt yet. Hopefully everything will come out nice in the end.

This is a stock photo of the bag.

Here is how it sits at the moment waiting to cure. I will have to see if I need to add some more foam to it when I get home. The photo was taken when I went home for lunch.
Last edited by jiannichan on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-jchan

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Started working on a case for my AR

Post by WildBill »

jiannichan wrote:I want something a little more discreet when I want to bring my rifle out of my home to take into the car. I just moved into an apt so, I don't want to carry out a tactical bag where the neighbors can see.
Interesting project. I don't know much about the Great Stuff urethane, but a quick Google shows that it is prone to settling. It sounds like you will work out your issues. I suggest that you let the plastic cure for several weeks with the case open so you can be assured of a complete cure. Outgassing will occur and you want to make sure the vapors don't damage the finish on your gun.

My question for you is "Do you play the guitar?" It might arouse suspicion from your neighbors if they see you carry this case and find out that do don't play or even own a guitar.
NRA Endowment Member

RJGold
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RJGold »

I'm not sure where I was but I saw a guitar shaped case made for carrying tactical weapons (I know I saw it sometime in the last month or so, dang old timers disease got me on the location though).

I never would have thought about doing this DIY. Pretty cool project.

I am looking forward to the photos of the finished product.

About the settling (and / or lack of cure), if you did this in a cold location, that could have retarded (or even stopped) the curing process. I used to pour manequins for taxidermists and we couldn't pour them below about 55 degrees or so.

Thanks for sharing the project.
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

RJGold wrote:About the settling (and / or lack of cure), if you did this in a cold location, that could have retarded (or even stopped) the curing process. I used to pour manequins for taxidermists and we couldn't pour them below about 55 degrees or so.
:iagree: It has been mighty cold the last couple of weeks.
NRA Endowment Member

roughneck266
Posts in topic: 1

Post by roughneck266 »

RJGold wrote:I'm not sure where I was but I saw a guitar shaped case made for carrying tactical weapons (I know I saw it sometime in the last month or so, dang old timers disease got me on the location though).

About the settling (and / or lack of cure), if you did this in a cold location, that could have retarded (or even stopped) the curing process. I used to pour manequins for taxidermists and we couldn't pour them below about 55 degrees or so.

Here tis: http://hazard4.com/products/bags/battleaxe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

roughneck266 wrote:
RJGold wrote:I'm not sure where I was but I saw a guitar shaped case made for carrying tactical weapons (I know I saw it sometime in the last month or so, dang old timers disease got me on the location though).

Here tis: http://hazard4.com/products/bags/battleaxe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice! The black color would look less tactical than the coyote.
NRA Endowment Member

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

Found this link showing some other models too...

I still can't remember where I saw the one I am remembering.

I didn't watch the two movie clips at the bottom of the page I shared the link to so view at your own risk...

http://www.guns.com/2013/01/25/guitar-g ... 11-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

While I admire your resourcefulness I can't help but think a Covert Bag from 5.11 or similar would be more functional, easier, lighter, and not open you to requests to play a few chords.

Here's the smaller version of the Covert 5.11
http://www.511tactical.com/covrt-m4-shorty.html

I do want to see how yours turns out. I have found that the foam, without airflow as you mentioned, doesn't set up very well.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Here you go.....

http://hazard4.com/products/bags/battleaxe

As you can see, it's not padded with foam. It's also $200......
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

WildBill wrote:
jiannichan wrote:I want something a little more discreet when I want to bring my rifle out of my home to take into the car. I just moved into an apt so, I don't want to carry out a tactical bag where the neighbors can see.
My question for you is "Do you play the guitar?" It might arouse suspicion from your neighbors if they see you carry this case and find out that do don't play or even own a guitar.
Yes, I can play by not as good as I want. I also have the guitar that was in the case but I will take it to church and leave it there to play during Sunday school.
-jchan

Topic author
jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

Everything dried so I started carving...some of the parts are pretty darn hard.

This fitting the rifle. I have to carve more out to get down to the very bottom so the rifle will fit better. I was testing to see how it fits with the shape and I like it so far.

Even if I don't like it in the end, I can always just fill it back up again and start over. The only thing I am unsure about is if I want to keep that same optics or not. I was thinking I might go with flip up sights. Maybe I can find some foam blocks to fill up spots. I am hoping to be finished tomorrow.
-jchan

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jiannichan wrote:Even if I don't like it in the end, I can always just fill it back up again and start over. The only thing I am unsure about is if I want to keep that same optics or not. I was thinking I might go with flip up sights. Maybe I can find some foam blocks to fill up spots. I am hoping to be finished tomorrow.
You should mount some BUIS anyway, not as an afterthought. If your optic ever goes down (think "battery", "broken lense", etc.), you'll still have the ability to aim your carbine. Even though I've got an ACOG that requires no batteries, I still have BUIS.........just in case. Without them, all you can do is "point" your weapon. You cannot AIM it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
jiannichan wrote:Even if I don't like it in the end, I can always just fill it back up again and start over. The only thing I am unsure about is if I want to keep that same optics or not. I was thinking I might go with flip up sights. Maybe I can find some foam blocks to fill up spots. I am hoping to be finished tomorrow.
You should mount some BUIS anyway, not as an afterthought. If your optic ever goes down (think "battery", "broken lense", etc.), you'll still have the ability to aim your carbine. Even though I've got an ACOG that requires no batteries, I still have BUIS.........just in case. Without them, all you can do is "point" your weapon. You cannot AIM it.
For sure I do plan on putting some BUIS on there. I would like some flip up ones. It used to have an A2 FSB on there that I had to shave into a low profile gas block so I can fit the rail on. Do you have any good recommendations for a set? I had Magpul on my previous AR pistol but I did not like them much. I've always had the Magpul rear sights along with the A2 FSB and scopes or red dots for all my previous ARs. I don't know how much of a difference the quality of iron sights between the brands are or if one works better than the other...Troy, Midwest Industries, UTG, Yankee Hill etc. Would a set of $50 flip up BUIS work just as well as one that cost $150+?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-jchan

UpTheIrons

Re: Started working on a case for my AR **FINISHED**

Post by UpTheIrons »

I've been to the range more than once when a guy came in with a guitar bag slung over his shoulder.

One even had a whammy bar in the outer mesh zipper pocket, but I don't know how you'd mount that on the AR he was shooting...
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”