AR newbie

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Bulldog1911
Posts in topic: 2

AR newbie

Post by Bulldog1911 »

Hey guys,

I don't know much about AR's, but I'm wanting to purchase one, and and start learning about them. And eventually even build one or two. I was expecting to drop at least a grand on this purchase. I'm not looking for one with "all the fixins" for now, but I do want one that wont give me problems. Anyway, I saw this at bud's and and thought that can't be right. Even comes with a Red Dot. So, my question is, is this a decent gun? I thought bushmaster's were pretty good quality, but really don't know. Any other thoughts about this? Am I missing something?

Any insight is appreciated.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/69657" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

74novaman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR newbie

Post by 74novaman »

I'm an AR newb myself, but the first thing that immediately jumps out at me is no iron sights at all.

If you don't like that red dot, you're going to have to drop some more money to get some kind of iron sights on there.

Edit to add: It said carbon 15 upper and lower. Is that the polymer lower?
TANSTAAFL

igotta40

Post by igotta40 »

I have one, got it at Academy 2 years ago. It's super light because of the polymer parts and thin barrel. Nice shooter, the red dot is decent quality. My only complaint that you can't mount a M7 bayonet on it even though it has a lug. It's because the barrel is so thin. Not really an issue, just thought I would mention it. Actually the lug is a perfect fit for my bipod, so... :anamatedbanana

I've only put about 100 rounds through it but it will make a dime sized group at 100 yards. That's with me pulling the trigger... :eek6

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

Its cheaper than other b/c the upper and lower are both polymer. All other AR's will be metal. Not that there is anything wrong with the carbon 15, just different. I think you would be better off with a more standard AR style rifle for durability and ruggedness. Not having sights is not out of the ordinary, actually pretty typical on an entry level rifle.

Look for a complete Spikes rifle from Aimsurplus.com or browse around a little more on Bud's site.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

For $1k you won't get better than a Colt LE6920.

That will be the best value as a starting point.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

wninja

Post by wninja »

If I was going to spend a grand on a factory built rifle, it would probably be a RRA LAR-15 Entry Operator2. It comes with an insane amount of extras (though I think it is a limited run sale).

2-stage trigger, chrome BCG, 2 30-round mags, your choice of one of 4 types of rear sight assemblies, ERGO pistol grip, custom stock/handguards, flip-up front sights and a RRA hard case.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm? ... ory_id=463" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things."

7/12/2010: Packet mailed
8/20/2010: Plastic in hand

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

For $1000 you can buy a decent gun from almost any AR builder.
I can't tell any difference in reliability between a new Colt and one I've assembled from components for under $550.

For $699 you can buy a fine rifle from any number of sources.
As for sights, UTG iron sights can be bought for $25 each ($50 both)
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Topic author
Bulldog1911

Post by Bulldog1911 »

Thanks for all the info guys, I think I would rather have a metal one.
Rex B wrote:I can't tell any difference in reliability between a new Colt and one I've assembled from components for under $550.
I would like to put my own together, but I wouldn't even know where to begin.
wninja wrote: If I was going to spend a grand on a factory built rifle, it would probably be a RRA LAR-15 Entry Operator2
I really liked this one, and it does have rails that the colt doesn't. Are RRA's on par with colt's?
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Bulldog1911 wrote:Thanks for all the info guys, I think I would rather have a metal one.
Rex B wrote:I can't tell any difference in reliability between a new Colt and one I've assembled from components for under $550.
I would like to put my own together, but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Honestly, once you looked at one and popped the pins to separate upper and lower, and withdrawn the bolt carrier from the upper, it's pretty clear.

The only thing to assemble is the small parts into the bare lower. That's a kitchen table job with simple tools. There are several very good online tutorials.

Most people just buy the upper already assembled and snap it onto the completed lower. Done.

If you have ever taken a lawnmower carb apart and reassembled it, you will have no problem with the lower.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

gigag04 wrote:For $1k you won't get better than a Colt LE6920.

That will be the best value as a starting point.
Not to slight others on this thread, but this advice is the best one on this thread.
You get what you pay for.

The main thing is though... what do you want to do with it? If you ever planning on really pushing it, as in taking a multi-day class, shooting hundreds and hundreds of rounds, etc. then you'll want a higher quality rifle made to take the punishment, and run well when really dirty, hot, and/or dry.
In this scenario, you can see why certain rifles cost more than others even though under range and plinking conditions, they appear to shoot the 'same'.

The 6920 is a tested rifle that gives you the best platform to build onto over time, for the money.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”