buying 12ga buckshot...

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
mr.72
Posts in topic: 5

buying 12ga buckshot...

Post by mr.72 »

I didn't think this was going to be so tough.

When I bought my new shotgun at Academy, I intended to also buy a couple of boxes of reduced-recoil 00 buckshot to go out and shoot it. I was surprised to not find any buckshot at all at Academy.

Curiously, I went to Walmart figuring they would have it. Well, they don't, as far as I can tell. Just bird shot, in various brands etc., same as Academy.

So, am I just looking in the wrong place (in Academy or Walmart), or do I need to go to a different local (Austin) store? I would like to pick some up and go shooting tomorrow.

So where in Austin can I get some (preferably economical) 12ga reduced-recoil 00 buckshot? Hopefully there'll be an answer other than "McBrides"... but if I must pay 2x the normal price, I guess I probably will.
non-conformist CHL holder

USA1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: buying 12ga buckshot...

Post by USA1 »

I noticed that 12ga 00 buckshot suffered the same hoarding issues as a lot of the handgun ammo.
It is out there , but you'll have to look at gun stores or on-line retailers to find it .

At Walmart and Academy , its hit or miss . More likely miss.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

A-R
Posts in topic: 4

Post by A-R »

I have found Remington 12 gauge 00 and 000 buckshot at Academy before, but they are sort of hit and miss about it these days. GT Distributors has some they will sell to non-LEO, quality police loads too, but not sure of price or amount of recoil. I don't remember it being significantly more than the basic Remington stuff at Academy. Also saw a lot at Cabela's last time I was there, but that was about a month ago. Did you try the Cedar Park Gun Shop over in Buttercup Creek shopping center? Seems they usually have some, but again not sure on price.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Try this: http://www.google.com/search?q=aguila+r ... l+buckshot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aguila makes reduced-recoil shotshells that are also shorter than 2 3/4-inch. You can put an extra round in the magazine on some shotguns.

Buckshot is going to cost about $1 a round no matter where you buy it.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

RiverCity.45
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RiverCity.45 »

I picked up a shotgun at Academy (Schertz, a northeastern suburb of San Antonio) this week and had no trouble finding a couple brands (Remington, Winchester) of 00 buck, though I didn't look for reduced recoil.
9/21/09 - Received license
"Nothing is so dangerous as an idea when it is the only one you have." - Emile Chartier

Topic author
mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

Not wanting to spend an hour driving around looking for it, I just ordered a box of 25 at Ammunition To Go online. $26 shipped to my door including shipping for Winchester LE reduced-recoil 00 buck.

I figure my wife and kids and I are not going to want to shoot more than a couple rounds each for practice, then I'll load the gun for HD and the box of 25 rounds will probably last me forever.

I might buy a value-pack of birdshot ($17 for 100 rounds) at Walmart just to have something to shoot and break in the shotgun.

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

The other answer is Cabela's. They've had at least some buck on the shelves nearly every time I've been there in the last year, but it likely isn't the cheapest, nor the closest to you.

dicion

Post by dicion »

So is this too many rounds of 00 Buck for Home defense?

http://dicion.net/chlforum/shotty2%20011.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably... but then you can look at another way...
... It's still probably not enough for the Zombie Apocalypse.

And, before the argument about the 'tactical disadvantages' of the strap and the extra weight of the shells on the strap, it is not kept like that for HD :mrgreen:
It's kept strapless, with just the extras on the side-saddle. The Strap and bandoleer are solely for when the undead are walking the streets :lol:

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Nor really, can't have too much ammo.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

joe817

Post by joe817 »

So is this too many rounds of 00 Buck for Home defense?
No, not at all......if you live in Iraq or Afghanistan. :shock: "rlol" :smilelol5: :lol:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

dicion wrote:So is this too many rounds of 00 Buck for Home defense?
What is meant by this silly phrase, "too many rounds"? :smilelol5:
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

I find this topic very interesting.

Once I had decided to go with 00 for the HD shotty I checked in Wally World and could only find bird shot on the shelves, the same was true for Sports Authority (except they had slugs on the shelves too...and this was pre-boycott :smilelol5: ). So I went to Academy and just picked up a box 0f 15 for $10.

After that I discovered that in Wally World they lock up their 00 in the same glass brass cabinet. I bought 15 for $9.

I admit that it isn't low recoil but everytime I have looked in Wally World recently I have seen 00 in there. :headscratch

On a side note my wife has taken to calling my frequent sorties into the gun department of the local 'likely' places as my 'Ballistic Easter Egg hunt' "rlol"

Edit : My current shotty stocky is 5 slug, 30 buckshot and 65 bird shot practice rounds....with no plans to expand those numbers...unless I find bargin.
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

MoJo wrote:Nor really, can't have too much ammo.
Unless you're swimming. ;-)

Then there's guy that I think of as the unluckiest man in the world. He was supposedly carrying a box of dynamite at a mining operation when he was struck by lightning.

However, I have never been able to track that story to a credible source.

- Jim

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

http://www.jgsales.com/advanced_search_ ... l+buckshot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is good ammo. Back when it was a lot cheaper, I bought 1000 rds of the 00 from Sportsmans Guide.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/brow ... OBEL+SPORT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

yeah I looked in the glass cabinet at Walmart... no buckshot.

All is well though, thanks to AmmunitionToGo.

Got a 100 round value pack of #6 to break in the shotgun and 25rd. of low-recoil Ranger 00 Buck on the way.

Obviously ammo availability at Walmart and Academy is quite regional and hit and miss. So far, for me, miss.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”