Been busy building AR's!

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
age_ranger
Posts in topic: 2

Been busy building AR's!

Post by age_ranger »

Been a busy guy.....just completed a few lower receiver builds and wanted to show 'em off. I picked up the following multi-caliber lowers to put together rifles for my kids and myself.

DMPS - waiting for a CMMG 5.56 upper
YHM - will be getting a 6.8SPC upper for hunting duty
Anvil - .50 Beowulf upper on order, should be a hoot at IDPA matches
LAR Grizzly - dedicated .22
Spike's - HD gun for now sports a DPMS low profile upper with Aimpoint CompC3

Overall I like the finish and markings on the Anvil the best so far. I installed DPMS and CMMG parts kits and added Magpul MIAD grips which totally eliminate having to use the trigger guard tabs with the winter guard attachment for the grip. Here's a quick pic. The Spike's is built up on the right out of view.
Last edited by age_ranger on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

flintknapper
Banned

Re: Been busy building AR's!

Post by flintknapper »

You HAVE been busy!

I'm curious what swayed you to pick the 50 Beowulf for a "Big-Bore" over some of the other offerings (450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM)?
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

I'm not sure, but it just has a certain cool factor to me. I like the .50 Beowulf but haven't really heard any reviews on the others. I'v eseen the Alexander Arms ammo for sale but not the others so maybe the .50 is more popular? I dunno but plans aren't in stone. I have a buddy who's an importer and might be able to get me the .50 for $400ish so I might go that route.
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

Tallinthesaddle
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tallinthesaddle »

Bad news, once you start, you cannot stop! As soon as you get the bare lower, it is hard to keep it that way. First the lower parts kit then what upper shall I get!
Once you get the hang of it, you learn how to put the lower together without scratching it or leaving punch marks. Especially on the bolt release catch pin installation, the punch would always leave a mark. I switched from pushing the pin in from the right side and went to putting the receiver in a vise and pushing it through from the left, no mark, but you still have to be careful. Look at a factory AR and there are no marks. Go to a gun show where a guy has several AR's for sale and look at the bolt catch pin holes and even the trigger guard pin and look for a punch mark. If you see none, the guy who built it knows what he is doing. I was at a gun show last month in Amarillo and the guy told me to look at this AR he had put together the afternoon before. Sure enough, the bolt release catch pin hole had a punch mark. Didn't say nothing to him since my first three had em!

Street2Peschel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Street2Peschel »

I have been desperately trying to sell my brand new Bushmaster so I can build one. It will just add another level to my addiction!

sneedb82

Post by sneedb82 »

Street2Peschel wrote:I have been desperately trying to sell my brand new Bushmaster so I can build one. It will just add another level to my addiction!
Instead of selling the entire rifle, why not part it out? You could fetch a fairly nice penny by selling that upper... key is don't have to send through FFL, rather than selling the entire rifle, and taking a loss on it by going through FFL. (unless intrastate transfer).

Or, just buy a new upper in a different caliber, and have two guns in one :) -- ETA: qualifying that the upper is for 5.56 variants (such as 6.8, 6.5, .204, .243, .222, .223 WSSM, etc.) and not for .308 or higher .30 caliber firearms... then I could understand the selling of the BM to purchase a different build.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

age_ranger wrote:I'm not sure, but it just has a certain cool factor to me. I like the .50 Beowulf but haven't really heard any reviews on the others. I'v eseen the Alexander Arms ammo for sale but not the others so maybe the .50 is more popular? I dunno but plans aren't in stone. I have a buddy who's an importer and might be able to get me the .50 for $400ish so I might go that route.

No....the .458 SOCOM is easily the best supported, most popular and has the greatest amount of choice in ammo.

That is why I wondered why you were considering the Beowulf.

Anyway, the more guns, the better....no matter what you decide upon. :mrgreen:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

sneedb82

Post by sneedb82 »

Flint:

You'd be proud: 6.8SPC Mega Lower/RRA upper with White Oak Armament 1/11" 5g barrel coming hopefully monday! Will post pics ASAP :)

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”