Why an AR?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
GrayHawk

Why an AR?

Post by GrayHawk »

Several months back I asked the same question about a HD shotgun. After reading all the replies and considering all the reasons presented, I purchased one. As much as I have been able to avoid the "black rifle" bug, I may be close to getting one of those too (rifle not the bug). Is the market demand and pricing declining at all? Do I really need an assault rifle in an urban environment for home protection? Are we purchasing them for plinking, home defense, hunting, cause they look neat, or just because we have the right to? I don't want to start anything as far as which brand is better, there's enough of that on the net to drive one stir crazy. I would like to know if there is any advantage to getting a "regular" AR or getting one of the Sig556's or Ruger's new one? As with the thread on HD shotguns, if I'm convinced I need one of these, I most likely won't be decking it out. Is there any advantage to building one as opposed to just buying a complete rifle (although I wouldn't have any idea where to start "building)? I've checked some of the other sites including the main AR site, but thought I would ask those on this forum for their input before I make my decision. If there is already a thread on this, please direct me to it and I will delete this one.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Why an AR?

Post by G.A. Heath »

First off its not a true assault rifle, it would need to be a full auto for that, I bought/built mine for hunting and plinking, I have better weapons for home defense but they could be used as such if needed. The sigs are nice, but upper/lower interchange is not possible from what I understand, while the Ruger model has just about every feature one could want (Although it has no history to show how good it is). When considering a base model you see significant cost savings over one of the higher end models. The advantage of building a rifle is that you can get exactly what you want right off the bat, and there is no extra expense associated like you get with buying the complete rifle and modding later.

The good news is that the buying craze seems to be dying off so the dealers and distributors seem to have rifles in stock. If one waits a little longer and the Federal government does nothing to restart the frenzy then prices should fall to, or even below, pre-craze levels. Ammo on the other hand is still an issue, although some industry insiders/experts are saying that should die off in two months, where that come from I have no clue.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

BobCat
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BobCat »

An "assault rifle" is select fire; an AR-15 is semi-automatic only. This is why the gun-banners invented the term "assault weapon" to cover rifles that looked like the M16 assault rifle, but were semi-automatic only.

Many people like the AR-15 because it is modular - many configurations are possible, depending on what parts you buy and assemble. The .223 has little recoil and is relatively easy to shoot accurately. It is certainly easier on the shooter than the .308. Some people claim the .223 is an "intrinsically accurate" cartridge - and it is true that most AR-15s will hold a minute of angle (about one inch at 100 yards), and so will many other .223 rifles, but there are .223 rifles (notably the Ruger mini-14) that are not as reliably accurate right out of the box.

In NRA Highpower Rifle, you can shoot Service Rifle or Match Rifle class. The AR-15 is very popular in Service Rifle - appears externally the same as the M16 military rifle so it meets the rules. It is easier and more comfortable to shoot well than the M1A (semi-automatic only, external look-alike of the M14) or the M1 Garand. Several match triggers are made for the AR-15 so you can stay within the rules at 4-1/2 pounds, but have a real crisp break and a real nice trigger overall.

It seems to me (opinion) that some people like the AR-15 simply because it looks "military" and gives the gun-banners fits. Maybe this is childish - not my call.

I like the AR-15 because I shoot Highpower and know that any shot that is not a 10 or an X is my doing - the rifle will hold the 10 ring with each and every shot, so those 9s, 8s, and <gasp> 7s are my doing, my problem, and up to me to correct. Confidence in one's equipment is key to performing well. If I shoot anything but a 10 or an X there is no doubt, no excuse, and every reason to do better with the next shot.

This is not exhaustive - just my ramblings on a day off work. Interested to see how other folks answer your question.

Regards,
Andrew
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Purplehood »

I bought mine because it looked like the M-4 I was issued. Other than that, I have no valid reason other than that it is fun to shoot.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

GrayHawk wrote:Is the market demand and pricing declining at all? Do I really need an assault rifle in an urban environment for home protection? Are we purchasing them for plinking, home defense, hunting, cause they look neat, or just because we have the right to?
1. Pricing seems to have stabilized, and may even be coming down a bit.

2. Sure, why not? It is not an überpower round, but it is definitely more effective than almost any handgun caliber. And with a pretty small recoil impulse, they are probably easier to use in a HD situation than a shotgun.

3. I purchased mine for plinking, home defense, hunting, because they look neat, and because I have a right to. :mrgreen:

Building your own is not a big deal. Neither my son nor I are gunsmiths, and we built two of them no problem. You will most likely spend less money that way too - and like G.A. Heath said, you'll get exactly what you want, without compromises.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Everyone should own at least 1 black rifle. :cool:

I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

cling

Post by cling »

Shooting my AR was fun when ammo was cheap. That doesn't seem likely any time soon so I sold mine six months ago for double what I paid three years ago. :cheers2:
Better. Not Bitter.

NORMAN

Post by NORMAN »

GrayHawk - Run away as fast as you can!! If the AR bug bites you (which it already has) its to late. Also there is no such thing as plain AR. You wont understand untill you get one. I was one of those who always said I didn't need an assult rifle, but since the election i thought i would by one for nothing else than and investment opportunity since our mighty leader might find some way to ban them !! Well I went from the 1st plain Ar to having three one being a short barrell with a suppressor (all legal of course) It was fun shopping for parts and building just what you want. And besides it is a blast to shoot (no pun intended) :fire Good luck on your build !!!!

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

Build your own.

Here is my nephew holding one I just finished in .458 SOCOM for a dedicated “hog gun”.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Purplehood »

Flintknapper: I like that stock.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Purplehood wrote:Flintknapper: I like that stock.
Both my son's and my varmint rifle ARs have that Magpul PRS stock. It really is nice. Imagine perfect eye relief in your scope, perfect length of pull, perfect cheek height, etc., etc. I really like mine.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

dicion

Post by dicion »

Why not?

Really though.. for me, I like building things... so thats one reason
I also like Military Weaponry, things with histories. This is as close as a civilian can get to owning a M16/M4 without paying Thousands of dollars for an actual full auto or select fire M16/M4.
(Thats also one of the main reasons I like the 1911, and own a Mosin Nagant. I will own a Garand some day soon as well)
Also, yes, I want to because I CAN, and because owning it drives the anti's so nuts :P

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning."
An unbelievably young Robert Duvall, "Apocalypse Now", 1975.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”