Pictures of your "Black Guns"

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 15

Re: Pictures of your "Black Guns"

Post by Skiprr »

LCplMustafa wrote:I've been looking at home defense shotguns that don't have a buttstock, just a pistol grip. Anybody have any opinion about it?
Shucks. I always have an opinion. Doesn't mean it's worth a plug nickel, but pull up a chair and I'll sure be glad to talk.

I'm not a fan of pistol-grip-only stocks. A few reasons for this.

1. The biggest disadvantage of a shotgun in CQB--particularly inside a building with hallways and doorways--is its length: it's easier for a bad guy to block or take away than a handgun. It's the barrel length that makes the difference. A pistol-grip-only stock really doesn't buy you any shortening of real estate over a standard stock, or one like the SpecOps that incorporates a pistol grip and shoulder buttstock. In proper close-body, depressed-carry position, you can mount to shoulder maybe a millisecond slower than you can go barrel-up with a pistol-grip-only stock.

2. In CQB, one advantage of a shotgun over a handgun is that you can use the shotgun as a striking weapon if you have to. Pistols aren't terribly good for this, and neither are shotgun barrels. A shotgun buttstock, though, can be employed quite handily...particularly synthetic stocks that can take a lot of abuse. No fulcrum to be gained from a pistol-grip-only stock.

3. A pistol-grip-only shotgun can only be used, really, in the "assault-fire" position: basically, shooting unsighted from the hip or mid-body. Trying to sight it with iron sights puts your head in a very awkward position relative to the back of the firearm...and potential recoil right into your face if you peer too closely at the sights (I'm assuming a 12-gauge here with standard loads).

Now, something like a holographic sight down mid-length along the barrel might work for aimed shots, but otherwise you end up with a longarm you can't really aim for accuracy. And if you do have to shoot in "assault-fire" position, tucking the traditional buttstock tight against your body, under your arm, provides a far better platform for stability and follow-up shots (especially with a pump: managing recoil and cycling the action quickly with a pistol-grip-only makes for a wobbly firearm).

4. You can effectively shoot an aimed shot one-handed with a buttstock if you have to. It's darned difficult to take an aimed shot with a pistol-grip-only shotgun, and next to impossible to do it with only one hand. I suppose there are guys who can hold a 45-pound Olympic weightlifting plate straight out in front of them with only one hand for 30 seconds without shaking, but they're few and far between.

5. One of the only things I think pistol-grip-only shotguns have going for them is that they can be packed into a smaller bag or case for transport. Not a big item in the "plus" column, and that can be overcome with a folding stock...though I still like those less than a fixed or telescoping stock.

As always, my opinion in this electronic forum is worth precisely as much as the paper it's printed on. :tiphat:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mike1951 »

For years, I had an 870 Police with the factory Remington folding stock. It stayed folded and I never had any difficulties firing from the pistol grip.

However, I eventually reinstalled the wooden stock for the exact reasons Skiprr talks about.

Being able to strike with the buttstock provides another option.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Skiprr »

Since I got so excited about LCplMustafa ordering himself a POF .308, I'm afraid I started to hijack this thread. :smash:

So I started a new one specifically for .308 rifles, ammo, and accessories. 'Cause I know I'm gonna have questions about that rifle once he gets some range time with it. :cool:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

HotRod68Camaro
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HotRod68Camaro »

Here is mine.

Kyle

Armed-Texan

Post by Armed-Texan »

bushmaster and XD45

Doug

Post by Doug »

Here's mine, sans a BSA 30mm red dot sight

RIA 1911
Glock 23
XD-9SC
XD-40 V10
Ruger P95
S&W SW40VE
P-3AT
AR-15

http://www.houston-firearms.com

melkor41
Posts in topic: 4

Post by melkor41 »

AndyC wrote:Image
:drool:
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it...kill the captain...and claim it as yours. : Lodge2004

DParker
Banned

Post by DParker »

One scattergun, three evil black configurations:

For birds, bunnies & bushy-tails...

If something goes "bump" in the night, this version is at hand...

You never know when you're going to need to put a slug 100 yds. downrange to take care of a suspicious-looking deer or hog...

melkor41

Post by melkor41 »

DParker wrote:One scattergun, three evil black configurations:

For birds, bunnies & bushy-tails...

If something goes "bump" in the night, this version is at hand...

You never know when you're going to need to put a slug 100 yds. downrange to take care of a suspicious-looking deer or hog...
:drool:

If I keep drooling over these pretty black guns im going to dehydrate myself "rlol"
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it...kill the captain...and claim it as yours. : Lodge2004

grapeno1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by grapeno1 »

Here is Mine. And a couple other toys.

grapeno1
:cheers2:
02 Mar: Applied online
10 Mar: Recieved packet/Pin Number
24 Mar: Hand Delivered packet
22 Apr to Present: "Processing Application"
31 May: "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"
04 June: Plastic in Hand.

melkor41

Post by melkor41 »

LOL someone had some fun with the clothes iron :smilelol5:

I love those rail covers, are those the magpul ones? I am thinking about ordering some for mine.

DParker
Banned

Post by DParker »

melkor41 wrote:LOL someone had some fun with the clothes iron :smilelol5:
Just imagine what the poor shirt must look like.

grapeno1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by grapeno1 »

Yes the rail covers are Magpul's.

As for the iron mark, I have 3 blondes that live here. Ill leave it at that. "rlol"

Grapeno1
:cheers2:
02 Mar: Applied online
10 Mar: Recieved packet/Pin Number
24 Mar: Hand Delivered packet
22 Apr to Present: "Processing Application"
31 May: "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"
04 June: Plastic in Hand.

LCplMustafa
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LCplMustafa »

melkor41 wrote:LOL someone had some fun with the clothes iron :smilelol5:
Every barracks room I ever laid my head down in had a similar burn on the floor. Two days after our barracks got new carpet, there were some shenanigans while my roomie was ironing his uniform. Our behinds were a little raw after having been chewed on so thoroughly for that one. We just saw it as continuing a tradition... thats what you get with a bunch of jarheads wondering around.

As for sticking to the topic, I swear I got a shotgun today, but if I wake up the woman sleeping in the room where it's setting just to take some picture of a gun, she'll be even more sore at me for spending the money. Soon though.
It is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. But if you eat enough ice cream, you might have to get 12 guys to carry you.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”