tactical shotgun

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

lunchbox
Posts in topic: 3

Re: tactical shotgun

Post by lunchbox »

KBCraig wrote:If you're mounting a light to a shotgun, it's important to test it by firing multiple rounds while the light is on. It's meaningless to fire the shotgun and then see if the light will turn on. What matters, is if the bulb will survive firing full-bore magnum rounds while lighted.

LEDs are more robust in this regard than incandescent bulbs. I still hate 'em, though. The visible spectrum they project is much too narrow, and the light tends to be coherent, so everything it illuminates looks flat. Once you mix enough LED bulbs of different color temps, they can be good for illumination, but you'll lose any advantage of battery life.

Oh, and LEDs can be absolutely blinding when shined in the eyes, even if the narrow spectrum means you couldn't find a white cat in a coal mine with it.
will stream lights hold up under the stress or a shotgun
"I have two guns. One for each of ya" Doc Holiday
"Out here, due process is a bullet."
"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."
"forgiveness is between them and god its my job to arrange the meeting" man on fire

Topic author
xpur3l0g1cx
Posts in topic: 3

Post by xpur3l0g1cx »

I just sold my 500 now im moving to an autoloader for home defense. not enough practice with pumps. How do yall feel using it?

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

xpur3l0g1cx wrote:I just sold my 500 now im moving to an autoloader for home defense. not enough practice with pumps. How do yall feel using it?
How do we feel using a pump or an autoloader?

I am comfortable with both.

I have pumps for tacticals. I almost have the Hollywood-rack-the-slide-with-one-hand-by-yanking-it-up-and-down thing down to a science. I sure hope we get to practice it during the CHL Forum day shotgun clinic. I'll bet the instructor will be so very pleased.

I hunt with autoloaders. I would very much like to have a tactical autoloader one day.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Mark F
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mark F »

I don't believe there has ever been any question as to the "effectiveness" of a 12 gauge. And it's still one of the "most feared" general purpose weapons available, as they turn targets into hamburger meat. You will find that #4 shot has the "best" overall performance for spraying a lethal dose of lead at medium range and closer. DO NOT use slugs for HD,... EVER. Not only will you have to aim it, but the penetration may pass all the way through your home, oblitterating everything in its path.

The downside to most shotguns would be, that it's still a long gun. Thus making it a little more difficult manipulate in certain circumstances. That's where short barrels come in handy as well as the pistol grip. My personal favorite load is #4 LOW RECOIL ammo by Winchester. It offers excellent knock-down blast while keeping the shotgun in full control for follow-up shots if needed. Mossberg is a good choice for money. However, there are lots of shotguns to choose from.

My favorite....
Image Only when the best will suffice.

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Mark F wrote:I don't believe there has ever been any question as to the "effectiveness" of a 12 gauge. And it's still one of the "most feared" general purpose weapons available, as they turn targets into hamburger meat. You will find that #4 shot has the "best" overall performance for spraying a lethal dose of lead at medium range and closer. DO NOT use slugs for HD,... EVER. Not only will you have to aim it, but the penetration may pass all the way through your home, oblitterating everything in its path.

The downside to most shotguns would be, that it's still a long gun. Thus making it a little more difficult manipulate in certain circumstances. That's where short barrels come in handy as well as the pistol grip. My personal favorite load is #4 LOW RECOIL ammo by Winchester. It offers excellent knock-down blast while keeping the shotgun in full control for follow-up shots if needed. Mossberg is a good choice for money. However, there are lots of shotguns to choose from.

My favorite....
I have the 18.5", 7 round mag Remy 870 Express Home Defender shotgun, I have 8-2 3/4" 00buck rounds one right after the other, I put a sling on it as well, if I need more than 8 rounds of 00 buck...I am in a very very very very very bad situation! (I thought of the 00 buck, slug, and other mixes including birdshot[which only penetrates like 1" so it would be a hurt bloodied badguy not a stopped badguy]..but decided if I ever had to shoot thru a door/wall to stop the badguy 00 buck is the best performance all around)
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Mark F wrote: DO NOT use slugs for HD,... EVER. Not only will you have to aim it, but the penetration may pass all the way through your home, oblitterating everything in its path.
You still have to aim no matter what you use. The pattern (even with #4) at home defense ranges is going to be pretty small and only a few inches in diameter at most. If you're not going to make a disabling shot with a slug, it's unlikely buckshot would be any more effective. You should ALWAYS be aiming your shots.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”