Your Longest Shot

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Ark03
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Your Longest Shot

Post by Ark03 »

Longest shot for me was 667 yards. I was mule deer hunting in NM and had already killed out, so I was sitting with another guy. He wounded a deer with his .270 at about 400 yards, and as we were on top of a caprock looking down in a canyon we could see forever. It took me three shots, but I put him down with a 150 grain Core Lokt from a .300 Browning A-bolt. Longest shot I ever attempted. Wouldn't have ever considered it if he wasn't already wounded.

frreed

Post by frreed »

Beiruty wrote:
How in the world you can shoot at 400 yrds/m with Iron sight??!!! :shock: :shock:
The standard USMC Known Distance (KD) course of fire includes shots at 500 yards with a standard M16 and those who are issued M-4s shoot them at that distance. Those quals are done with iron sights. I have shot, and hit, at that distance with an issued M16. I was a chaplain and got to shoot at the range often. I have seen many kids shoot 10 of 10.

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

Angeles Crest in Southern California. 700yds hitting a bison silhouette of unknown size. Done with a Mosin and an M1 Garand using irons and my dad spotting to confirm the hits.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Beiruty »

frreed wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
How in the world you can shoot at 400 yrds/m with Iron sight??!!! :shock: :shock:
The standard USMC Known Distance (KD) course of fire includes shots at 500 yards with a standard M16 and those who are issued M-4s shoot them at that distance. Those quals are done with iron sights. I have shot, and hit, at that distance with an issued M16. I was a chaplain and got to shoot at the range often. I have seen many kids shoot 10 of 10.
M16 had 2-rear ghost posts, one is 100 and second at 300, to shoot at 500 how do you use the rear ghost ring?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

marktx

Post by marktx »

320yds. pigs in Rocksprings Rem 700 rechambered to 270Wby and ruger 25.06. 1 with the 25.06 and 8 to 10 with theWby. Could be more but quit countin. All with my reloads.

psijac

Post by psijac »

Beiruty wrote:
frreed wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
M16 had 2-rear ghost posts, one is 100 and second at 300, to shoot at 500 how do you use the rear ghost ring?
The O-2 sight is for night/low light shooting. The elevation knob goes up to 500 yards or 800 meters.
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

A little over 300 yards on both deer and elk, slung up with my butt in the dirt or mud. Remington Model 700 ADL in 30/06. 3.5-10X Explore Optics mil dot scope. Both 165 grain Hornady Interbond bullets hit within 3" of intentions, thanks largely to fine tuning gleaned via two Appleseed rifle clinics.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

50 yards at some random paper target. I know it's not much, but I've been watching these videos in preparation for finding a range with a longer lane.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Dave2 wrote:50 yards at some random paper target. I know it's not much, but I've been watching these videos in preparation for finding a range with a longer lane.
Try http://www.topguntexas.com/. It's not a terribly long drive from Plano. :thumbs2:

My longest shot was there, hitting the steel gong at 500 yards with my pencil-barrel AR-15 and a 4x ACOG (TA01).
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

1000 yards with a 1906 Springfield A-1rifle .
100 on a Squirrel using a 512 Remmy bolt rifle.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

SPDGG

Post by SPDGG »

Range I use to visit had steel from 200-600 & some bowling pins set out at 750 by a member of the range staff :)
But, the longest shot taken was out in the desert: 950 yards w/ Scoped Rem700 .308Win

kragluver

Post by kragluver »

On a game animal - 400 yards on a spike buck off a rest with a scoped .30-06.

On a target range - 475 yards on a steel plate with my .45-70 (and the peep sight raised all the way up:)). I could shoot, move over to the spotting scope and watch my bullet strike the plate. That was neat. Boom....... thwang.

The Krag rifle is the Swiss watch of MILSURPS.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Dave2 wrote:50 yards at some random paper target. I know it's not much, but I've been watching these videos in preparation for finding a range with a longer lane.
A guy a currently work with got a brand new stainless steel 1911 .45 caliber hand cannon for his birthday (forgot the make). He offered to let me shoot a 14 round mag at 25 yards. Took the first shot to sight it in and I'll be if it didn't head dead on bull. Jaws were dropped. The rest of the grouping wasn't bad either.

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

A friend killed a coyote with one shot at 134 yards. (I'll have to ask him what the make and model of the 1911 was.)

I used to shoot 2x4s at 200 yards with an M1 Garand... Not that far, but with iron sights..

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

M-14
Fort Ord Rifle Range
500 yds. iron sights.

Half-man sized targets (if I recall correctly) and everyone could do it.

The targets were set up at graduated distances - 500 being the farthest.

300 Yds. with an M-79 Grenade Launcher through a target hole roughly the size of an open standard size half window.

You can see the grenade as it lobs it way to the target.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”