Looking For A Precision Rifle Class

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
LittleGun
Posts in topic: 2

Looking For A Precision Rifle Class

Post by LittleGun »

I would like to take a precision rifle class, prreferably in or near Houston.

I don't have a precision rifle. I have a simple AR-15 and a scope. I want to learn the principles of precision shooting, not so I can shoot a thousand yards, but to be a better shooter.

It seems that all the precision rifle clases require a rifle and scope that costs many thousands of dollars. I'll never have such a rifle and scope.

Is it naive of me to want to take a precision rifle class with a simple AR-15 and scope?

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Looking For A Precision Rifle Class

Post by MoJo »

LittleGun wrote:
Is it naive of me to want to take a precision rifle class with a simple AR-15 and scope?
No it isn't, the difference between taking a precision rifle course with a simple AR 15 and a "precision" rifle is about two grand. Shootin' is shootin' a $3,000 rifle may be a little better than a $900 AR but if you can't make good use of the difference what difference does it make?
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

LittleGun wrote:I would like to take a precision rifle class, prreferably in or near Houston.

I don't have a precision rifle. I have a simple AR-15 and a scope. I want to learn the principles of precision shooting, not so I can shoot a thousand yards, but to be a better shooter.

It seems that all the precision rifle clases require a rifle and scope that costs many thousands of dollars. I'll never have such a rifle and scope.

That usually depends - if the course requires that hardware, and you cannot participate in half of the course because the ranges exceed your platform's capability, was that a good use of your funds?

You don't need a $3k rifle to shoot out to 1k yards, but do not expect to do it with a typical COTS AR-15. Money isn't the issue here, it's fitness for a task. If you have a 308WIN or 300WM hunting rifle, you could probably reach out to 1000 yards with it if the glass was up to par and you could get the right rest built up for it.

The reason precision shooting is expensive, in my opinion, is a combination between demand and quality. There is a decent demand for it these days, so the prices may be a bit inflated - but you also have to realize fit and tolerances are big deals when you're shooting to 1000 yards. People regularly have their stock rifles' actions trued for that reason, along with a skim bed. Tolerances and consistency are key....those aren't necessarily cheap endeavors.

I have seen precision AR courses out there, perhaps you should look at a course more specific to your needs?

teraph

Post by teraph »

A simple and fun way to learn better marksmanship would be an Appleseed course. Most of them reccomend .22LR due to the price of ammo, but they allow AR-15s, Mosins, Garands etc. I attended one a few weeks ago and ended up learning ALOT (part of which included the fact that sometimes your sights can make a large difference).

http://appleseedinfo.org/

This We'll Defend

Bob Wolff

Post by Bob Wolff »

Check out cawthon cartridge club website calendar. Fred offers a variety of classes and they do appleseed shoots there.
Bob
NO matter how responsible he seems,
NEVER give your gun to a monkey.

South Texas RGV

Post by South Texas RGV »

Agreed on the notion of attending an Appleseed at Cawthon Cartridge Club -- shot one there a few weeks ago, myself, and had a great time. It's located near Millican, east of College Station, and so not far from Houston at all...

I used an AR for part of the event on Sunday, but mostly .22LR.

Topic author
LittleGun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LittleGun »

Appleseed looks like a good start. Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

If you were interested in learning basic marksmanship, but with the iron sights, look for an NRA High Power Rifle club in your area. Many of them have clinics, and most are very welcoming to new shooters in matches. Some also have "Any Rifle/Any Sight" matches and clinics where scoped rifles are allowed.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”