Question on AKs

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Question on AKs

Post by RPB »

I want a folder
I want a folder which can be fired with the stock folded, like my SKS and Shotgun can be fired while folded
I like the AMD65 feature of the front forend grip and would get that, or add a strap/grip (I have no left hand) BUT
Most folding stocks appear to be in the way of the trigger when folded, but a few are not, like a Polish one I saw
I'm noticing prices going from $450 up to $850 on the same gun from different dealers, (AMD65) due to supply/demand so probably want something around election time or before... depending :lol:

Suggestions on an AK for around $500 that can be fired when folded?
or a stock that can replace one so the gun can be fired when folded if needed quickly?
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Re: Question on AKs

Post by RPB »

I don't want to run into something like this AR
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012 ... k-adapter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The system requires an extension to the bolt carrier (which is supplied in the kit). The biggest problem with the kit is that firing the gun with the stock folded disables the gun.
If fired when folded, the locking finger will bend, preventing further operation of the weapon until it is replaced.
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Found on another forum:
Russian civilian versions have added parts where the Saiga's can't fire when folded,
found on another forum
The rifles sold in the US will fire when folded.
:confused5

but some folders seem to impede access to the trigger/triggerguard area

http://www.ak47.net/forums/t_4_64/14292 ... tml&page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I do not want the "AK Pistol" I'd have to pay a tax/fee to the government and ask permission to own from the BATFE, a department which IMHO needs to be disbanded. :roll:

That is just like a grass-bur under my saddle; irritatin'
I'm no lawyer

74novaman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 74novaman »

Howdy,

I'll try to address all your questions. :biggrinjester:

I have an AMD-65 and you can access the trigger when folded. My one concern for you in paticular is if you're planning on holding your arm under the handguard since you can't grab the forward grip, that thing is a frying pan. if you're just using your arm under the grip, it would be fine. But the metal around that forward grip gets hot after about 50 rounds.

I also have a converted Saiga. I don't know what the heck that person is talking about with the trigger not working. When you convert a Saiga, you replace the weird "sporting" trigger with a regular AK trigger...and it doesn't have any parts to keep it from firing when folded. :???: My ACE sidefolder on my Saiga is specifically bent to be out of the way of the trigger and it could be accessed from either side with the stock folded.

The reason the side folder AR stock only works for one shot in the AR needs that buffer tube in place to help the bolt move properly. I could fire my AKs folded....I just don't bother because its pretty hard to be very accurate past about 20 yards without a stock. :mrgreen:

If the AMDs are still cheap, that's a good option. The other thing you could look at are underfolders. I have a century built Polish AKMS and its not a bad little gun. I got mine for around $500, but the only place I can find them in stock is Atlantic Firearms, and they're throwing in a drum magazine, calling it a "package" and raising the price past $600. :???:

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Thanks, PMMed a question

1) about length
2) if wood on the underfolder AK 47 Polish Folder Package gets "less hot" than the AMD65
I'm no lawyer

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 1

Post by maverick2076 »

You can change the lower handguard on an AMD-65 fairly easily. I put a Hogue lower handguard on mine. It fits with no modification and really keeps the heat away.

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Thanks maverick2076 ; I think I'll probably get this, seems like a decent package deal with 2 mags and a drum for a 26" folder home carbine; my current shotgun and sks are 28" folded http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/index.p ... gory_id=23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

longbedder

Post by longbedder »

well i picked up a new wasr10-63, which is the cheapest romanian variant i believe, from a local shop for under $400 just to take to the range and look cool with. i didn't like the wooden stock on it so i replaced it with an ATI kit for about $75 and it can fold up and has a few rails on it. if you extend the butt and fold it up, the trigger is unobstructed. Overall i like it. i've prolly put about 1800-2000 rounds through it without a single problem. but i've heard stories of people having nothing but problems with the wasr's but i like mine alot.

Rather Have It And Not Need It, Than To Need It And Not Have It

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Thanks for the photos and ideas longbedder
I'm no lawyer

CEOofEVIL

Post by CEOofEVIL »

Excellent tips and info!

Centerfire systems has AMD's for $439 right now.

If you want total control of what features you want on your rifle and are open to some work, I might also suggest looking into the Saiga's. They are very affordable in their imported form (Around $380'ish) and really are not rocket science to convert back to a standard AK trigger/grip system. You will of course have to devote some cash into the conversion, so it would probably come out to more than the AMD in the long run, though you'd have the rifle just as you want it. There are a bajillion aftermarket parts that will fit it and tune it to pretty much any configuration you might want, including side folders. There are the Polish and Romanian Side Folders, the ACE Style side folding stocks, AR stock adapters that you can add a side folding hinge to, and many other side folding stocks (such as This one).

There is also this neat stock I just found out about yesterday. It's very HK'ish, sounds like it provides what you are looking for, and doesn't break the bank at all. I've heard it's pretty dang solid and locks up tight. You can also get one that mounts using an AR adapter, and if you get the proper adapter the stock won't sit at that funny angle and will flow with the receiver. It doesn't interfere with the firing of the weapon in either case, aside from if you have large hands and are using the AK specific model - but it'll probably make the grip a bit uncomfortable in that case, though the weapon would still fire.

Hope this helps! :txflag:

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Thanks you guys

I did it !!!!

I was going to get the underfolder, but looked closely at one and when folded the lever F S didn't wanna go down when folded so can't fire when folded it looked like
I could be wrong,
but anyway the package deal there appeared to be sold out..thanks to Obama ...
so I got an AMD65 and

regarding the heat issue on the foregrip

I may need to replace foregrip with this forgrip and discard the rest of the stock

http://centerfiresystems.com/stkaka12.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or could just wrap it in an OvGlove Ove' Glove Hot Surface Handler, 1 Glove (Pack of 2)

and since OvGloves are kevlar, I'll have a heat resisting, bullet resistant shield "rlol"

anyway, I ordered the amd65 from centerfire systems after seeing that some auction sites are up to $800 for AMD65s pre-election and ... may as well, just because.

So, now in addition to my Kimber Pepper Spray and 2 5-1/2" bladed knives, I'll have a gun for the 30.06 posted Seton Imaging/doctors' office building in Marble Falls, (if I ever have to go back there, which I don't intend to) since the handgun must stay in the car there. ;-)

It's scheduled to ship Nov 12th, the first Monday after the Election :mrgreen:
(My FFL is going out of town between next Tuesday and Nov 13th)
I'm no lawyer

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

RPB wrote:Thanks you guys

I did it !!!!

I was going to get the underfolder, but looked closely at one and when folded the lever F S didn't wanna go down when folded so can't fire when folded it looked like

I could be wrong,

First, congrats on the AMD. :mrgreen:

Second....yes, you're wrong. :biggrinjester: The safety lever on underfolders has a notch cut in them that allows the safety to be in the "fire" position with the stock folded.

It's going to be very hard to manipulate the safety with it folded, but there are no issues with it being in the fire position.
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

:mrgreen:

Yeah, after making my decision, I saw more photos with an underfolder and it was in the F position ...
So, I may have to buy another some day, but the AMD will satisfy me for now, and I can swap the foregrip for that wooden one for the heat I think, and I'll look at ARs next maybe, but don't really want to get addicted to upgrading one :lol:

After house Taxes soon, and some house upgrade expenses I'm going to do (tankless water heater, more insulation etc) I need another Glock 26, but assume I can still buy those after the next "ban on guns which have evil handles or bayonet lugs and flashlight mount railzzzzz "

I need to buy some computers soon the new AMD chips (and Winders version 8-ish) coming out publicly this month should do the folding@home/ Boinc (Mostly I do the cancer cure calculation.fight childhood cancer etc through WorldCommunityGrid.org ( I have a shed full of computers and parts but these are gifts for relatives who need to call HP for support instead of me ... I built about 30 computers as gifts to some relatives in about 2003, the ones, about 6 people, who still have theirs working and followed my directions, will get new ones from me with 8 real cores, around Christmas-ish.
I'm no lawyer

teddy salad

Post by teddy salad »

Regarding the heat factor, Arsenal makes several handguards with built in heat shields. You can also usually buy just the heat shield itself from Arsenal vendors such as K-Var. That's what I did; I bought some old East German bakelite handguards for my AK. They looked great, but got hot as heck real quick. I then read an article that said most East German AK's originally had a metal heat shield which fit in the cavity of the lower handguard. After some research I bought the Arsenal one and voila! No more heat problems...it works great and works with most handguards - wood, plastic, bakelite, etc.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”