Scope Ideas?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 16

Re: Scope Ideas?

Post by 1s1k52 »

Well let's throw out all the extras then what should I start with? Anything I know atleast a tad bit about is very unrelated. Example computers, guitars, audio, etc. well unless I am wrong I couldn't buy a scope and upgrade it later right? Sounds like BDCs make things easier ? But not a nessessity and people have hunted for years without illumination so I guess I will toss that out.

So sounds like I should get something that will allow me to use the rifle but not be a waste of money. Preferaby to hold me over for 3 years If i can? You guys mentioned recoil. Well a guy I know was telling me regardless of the scope getting a good set of rings is just as important and often over looked. I judging on what I have seen I could spend anywhere from 50 to 3k or more on a scope right? I just don't want to buy more then I need right now but don't want to scrimp and buy something worthless. If the scopes that come on the mossberg and savage or ok I will look at that and have an idea. Same guy helping me with optic ideas is offering to build me an AR, teach me about them etc which is my cheapest bet cause I can piece it one by one. I appreciate all the help and patience.
(insert clever signature here)

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Another option..... The Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 Winchester (a good deer and hog caliber) comes with a set of decent iron sights and a removable 10 round box magazine. MSRP is $999, but the street price is more like $700. Then you can hunt and shoot now, while saving money to buy a decent long eye-relief scope down the road.

I realize that's probably outside of your budget, but this is a badass rifle, and it does solve your desire for iron sights and adjustable for length of pull right out of the box.

http://ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

thats weird? thought I replied to this. Yeah I have definitely been eyeballing that since it came out. Whatever choice I make will have to last me a bit. Thanks for all the information. It has given me a good base to start on.

bulletslap
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bulletslap »

I was just in a Academy Store off of Arbrook in Arlington and they had a Bushnell 1x4 with illuminated reticule on sale for 169 bucks.

That might work for you, from the reviews I looked at, it seemed to be a decent Scope.

I am considering it to go on a RPK I am building.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

There is a nikon prostaff 3-9x40 with BDC for 169.00 I also need ring ideas. I didn't realize there importance. I will eventually make a trip to cabelas and ask a couple of guys there. Its looking like it will be late this year or early next year before I make a purchase. I am asking a lot of a scope because I know it will have to last me awhile. typically life sets in usually. Got to get a computer first now. Mine has seen the last of its days.

Thanks for all the replies.

roughneck266
Posts in topic: 1

Post by roughneck266 »

You might want to check out http://www.samplelist.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. They are mostly trade ins and demos, but you can get good bit better glass for your money that way.
The Ruger American is a great rifle. American made too. That said as has already been suggested I would highly recommend looking at a Savage. For the money its pretty hard to beat the stock trigger on them.
Whichever direction you choose, I wish you the best of luck. Its almost impossible to get the best quality of anything on a budget, buy the best you can afford though, it will serve you well into the future.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

I will check out thanks. I think the fact most the scopes I am relating this to are older then me. I need to somehow find out of "light gathering" will help and "eye relief" i have hunted at night once in my life so I have thrown an illuminated reticle out. On paper that Nikon looks good to me.

I went to cheaper than dirt to get a flashlight and didn't have want I could afford or wanted so I was walking out and a guy asked if I needed help. Told him what I wanted to get. They wanted 400.00 for the American.. That's high and 615.00 for the gun a scope they carry that's 86.00 and a bipod I think was 60 or less either way not 615.00 so unsure where they got that price. The scope wasn't anything spectacular

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jse ... h/16536942" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I googled "bdc illuminated reticle"

Thoughts on this scope? I almost went with tru glow sights for my glock.

It's a lot in package for cheap. I am looking for a scope for dad now BTW and he didn't give me a price but I know it won't be more then my budget. For a 270. Also need good rings

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

I finally had a chance to go to cabellas. Tried out almost every scope they had for 400 or under. Nikon Pro Staff 3-9x50 was probably the best scope I have ever laid hands on and it was 229.00. Even the guy was saying the scope should be priced for more. Either way that is the scope I have picked out. I tried the 40mm as well. The only scope that I may get instead is the Buckmaster with mildot. thoughts? They also are now carrying the Ruger American for 372.00 which is 27 cheaper than..cheaper than dirt. Cheaper Than Dirt had the combo with bi-pod and scope for 700.00 or more but the scope wasn't very good. I pointed that out and the salesman just kind of shrugged.

Anyways I want to thank everyone for the input. Cranking out some OT to get this hopefully sooner than later. Birthday is next month so that should bump me close. It is either this or build a basic AR for around the same price but that would leave me with no optic.

cyphur
Posts in topic: 5

Post by cyphur »

1s1k52 wrote:I finally had a chance to go to cabellas. Tried out almost every scope they had for 400 or under. Nikon Pro Staff 3-9x50 was probably the best scope I have ever laid hands on and it was 229.00. Even the guy was saying the scope should be priced for more. Either way that is the scope I have picked out. I tried the 40mm as well. The only scope that I may get instead is the Buckmaster with mildot. thoughts? They also are now carrying the Ruger American for 372.00 which is 27 cheaper than..cheaper than dirt. Cheaper Than Dirt had the combo with bi-pod and scope for 700.00 or more but the scope wasn't very good. I pointed that out and the salesman just kind of shrugged.

Anyways I want to thank everyone for the input. Cranking out some OT to get this hopefully sooner than later. Birthday is next month so that should bump me close. It is either this or build a basic AR for around the same price but that would leave me with no optic.

I recently sold a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm mildot, it was a great scope for what it was, and it has the typical Nikon glass quality. Something you will need to realize, though, is that glass is one thing where you get what you pay for. If you want all of the features, plus longevity, plus quality, you wind up paying for it. If you want less money, you start losing features, or quality, or longevity. You get the idea.

Another company that puts out great entry-level optics, albeit Chinese-made(most every scope in your price range will be made overseas), is Primary Arms. Here is a scope that has everything you want: https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arm ... pa416x.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of great reviews of that scope over on AR15.com. I've owned some of their CQB kit and it's worth every cent you pay for it, maybe more in some cases. Just some more food for thought, if those features are really what you're after. The glass quality is not going to be equal to Nikon, but unless you'll be shooting low light, it is my understanding the clarity is fine.

Higher quality glass will aid in ambient light collection(larger objective will help get around that to a point), which is why it aids in low light shooting, with a crisper image.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

I was looking at the primary arms and I was told to stay away from the zoom being on top like that.

Anything I will get is better than what I currently have which is nothing. The milldot and all that is not as important as being able to see at low light.

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

1s1k52 wrote:I was looking at the primary arms and I was told to stay away from the zoom being on top like that.

Anything I will get is better than what I currently have which is nothing. The milldot and all that is not as important as being able to see at low light.
Nikon is a good bet then. If I was not trying to reach out to 1k yds I would not have sold my Nikon. You can find them - the Buckmaster line - on the EE section of AR15 most weeks for $250 lightly used. I did not notice an issue in low light with mine, but it does lack illumination.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

Meaning reticle illumination?

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

1s1k52 wrote:Meaning reticle illumination?
Correct.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Beiruty »

You are overspecing the scope at $200. think at or more than the cost of the rife for good optics.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”