Self Defense 20 gauge shells

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
toddlinder
Posts in topic: 3

Self Defense 20 gauge shells

Post by toddlinder »

I just bought a Mossberg 500 - 20 gauge with an 18 inch barrel for home defense. Any recommendations on shells?

speedsix

Re: Self Defense 20 gauge shells

Post by speedsix »

...great little pump...even a youngun can use it easily...I just use slugs up first for accuracy if someone's near or holding a family member, followed by a couple of #3 buckshot...I never saw the need for magnum or 3" shells for defense ranges...the only modification I'd do would be to order a metal safety and change the plastic one out...they have been known to break, making it hard to push off...haven't beat WallyWorld's prices on the slugs and buckshot...

Salty1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Salty1 »

You will need to try a few different loads to find out what patterns best in your shotgun and how much spread you actually want, obviously you do not need to pattern a slug, just make sure they shoot straight. Personally I am not a fan of slugs as part of my home defense strategy as I do not want one to go through many layers of sheetrock and potentially leave my house but everybody has their own reasons for what they use and there is no right or wrong answer.

I suggest figuring out what the longest distance in your house that you would shoot and pattern at that distance, try different manufacturers as well. Federal Personal Defense is popular. The below link is a review of some different 12 gauge loads that I played around with along with Greybeard and LeonCarr, now I use the Federal Flight Control exclusivly, unfortunatly they do not make them for a 20 gauge, some of the other manufacturers may work out for you. Good luck and let us know what you end up with....

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=53150
Salty1

OverEasy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OverEasy »

Todd,
Here is a test from; The Box O' Truth web sight: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot22.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is test of 20 ga. loads.
I have a Mossberg 20 ga. I load the 1st 3 rounds #3 buckshot and the last 2 slugs. I have a sling with extra shells.
It's nice that the hulls are different colors but you can tell the difference in the dark by feeling the end of the shell.

Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

I have a Remington 870 youth express with a knoxx adjustable stock. I have tried every major brand of buckshot for the 20 gauge so I will give a little info for you.

Federal buckshot

3in mag copper plated #2 buckshot- By far the most recoil of any buckshot load I have tried. You’re pretty much getting into 12 gauge recoil being that most 20 gauges are lighter. Pattern was good and whatever this hits within 20 yards is going to drop dead. Only con is increased recoil but it still doesn’t slow my rate of fire. I just push on through the recoil, no problem. Only reason I don't load it is my better half doesn't want the recoil. If it was just me I would have these bad boys in the tube!

2 3/4 copper plated #4 buckshot (federal personal defense) (marketed as reduced recoil)- I got these hoping to have reduced recoil loads combined with the knoxx stock but I think these were a hotter load then standard federal 2 3/4 #3 buckshot. Shot great and had the best pattern at 10 yards! That is the greatest pro with this load. Good pattern, at least for me.

2 3/4 #3 federal buckshot. Pattern was good, not as tight as the personal defense or mag round but after 15-20 yards it doesn't really matter to me. My 20 gauge is strictly home defense and no more then 35 feet in the longest possible stretch in my house. Good load and cheap!

The same applies for the Remington 2 3/4 #3 buckshot and Winchester 2 3/4 #3 buckshot as the federal.

Long story short buy whatever 2 3/4 #3 buckshot is cheapest! You can buy almost two boxes of these for one box of mag or personal defense rounds and I don't think the BG will know the difference. Unless you are hunting and want the magnum (if you hunt with buck, I don't) or wanted something with a little tighter pattern at longer ranges go with the standard #3 buckshot. It is perfect for hallways and room distances. Whenever I go on a road trip out west I bring either my .30 .30 or the 20 gauge with the magnums.

Hope this helps a little!

kyreb

Post by kyreb »

I have the same set up. The tube is full of #4 Buck (not birdshot) and I have a nylon shell holder on the stock loaded with slugs. I bought all this ammo at Midway because I had trouble finding suitable SD rounds on the shelf locally.
NRA Endowment Member
Unrepentant Hobbyist

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

YEA... go and get a hand gun ... shot guns are no good home defense guns but it you have too get some bird shot :at least it will not go threw a wall and kill someone
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

RSJ

Post by RSJ »

Winchester PDX1
I carry this brand of ammo in 4 Glocks, 1 LCP, and in my HD shotgun.
I know they make it in 12ga and .410 I am not 100% on 20ga. But I highly recommend this if available.
NRA Member

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

barstoolguru wrote:YEA... go and get a hand gun ... shot guns are no good home defense guns but it you have too get some bird shot :at least it will not go threw a wall and kill someone

...this is erroneous information...shotguns, properly loaded and used, are excellent for home defense...and bird shot is not a reliable stopper, plus there is no guarantee that it can't go through a wall and kill someone...almost any round can penetrate sheetrock...

...this article well covers all points on birdshot/buck/slug...and backs up what I've said here...I know people have been killed with birdshot or squirrel shot(usually #6)...but I also know a friend who was shot by a fellow hunter across a small bedroom(about 6') with a 16-gauge and rabbit load(usually #6 or 7 1/2) and it merely ground up his intestines and put him in a wheelchair for life...if you have to stop someone...you need to be sure of stopping him...either of the #3 or #4 factory loaded 20 ga. buckshot loads will do that within a home reliably...
http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...this one, which OverEasy posted above http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot22_4.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is even more explicit and detailed...and further proves the above...

Topic author
toddlinder

Post by toddlinder »

Thanks for the great information - in this particular application there will be no one else in the small home, and no walls to worry about hitting something (someone) on the other side. Also distances are very short (probably 20 ft. max) and the shooter would be a female that does not like a lot of recoil. So, I will probably be trying some of these #3 and #4 2 3/4 buckshot loads and see how they feel.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

toddlinder wrote:Thanks for the great information - in this particular application there will be no one else in the small home, and no walls to worry about hitting something (someone) on the other side. Also distances are very short (probably 20 ft. max) and the shooter would be a female that does not like a lot of recoil. So, I will probably be trying some of these #3 and #4 2 3/4 buckshot loads and see how they feel.

...dropping on one/both knees, as you would behind covering furniture, does a lot to make those in the next room/outside safer...the angle of the shot is raised a bit...

...I have a Pachmayr black rubber slip-on boot to soak up some recoil...it's medium size and I suspect it'll fit that Mossberg 20 (Medium 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" wide x 5" to 5-3/16" long)...let me know and I'll either meet you or leave it with the waitresses at D.T.s in Midlothian so you can pick it up...I don't need it...

Topic author
toddlinder

Post by toddlinder »

Sent you a PM

Salty1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Salty1 »

barstoolguru wrote:YEA... go and get a hand gun ... shot guns are no good home defense guns but it you have too get some bird shot :at least it will not go threw a wall and kill someone
Care to share your thoughts behind your comment? I am quite interested in why somebody would make a blanket statement like this so would enjoy seeing some facts to back up your conclusion.....
Salty1

jsenner

Post by jsenner »

Salty1 wrote:
Care to share your thoughts behind your comment? I am quite interested in why somebody would make a blanket statement like this so would enjoy seeing some facts to back up your conclusion.....
I think barstoolguru's trolling. It's troubling that someone would post such blatantly wrong information if this was actually a serious post. Probably more troubling that barstoolguru believes it.

Again, assuming it's not a troll in the first place.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”