SCAR rifles given the boot by SOCOM

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
OldCannon
Posts in topic: 3

SCAR rifles given the boot by SOCOM

Post by OldCannon »

Interesting article. In a nutshell, the SCAR rifles in 5.56 variants (SCAR-L designation) offer no material advantage over the existing M4 inventory. Looks like they ARE continuing to fund the SCAR-H (in 7.62 NATO). Personally, I think this was a wise decision on SOCOM's part. Most soldiers would love to have a rock solid battle rifle that lets them engage from 0-600yds without worrying about long-range terminal ballistics.

http://www.military.com/news/article/sp ... rifle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Chuck TX
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SCAR rifles given the boot by SOCOM

Post by Chuck TX »

Yep. Putting it all towards the .308/7.62x51 SCAR makes a lot more sense, nothing wrong with the M4 for it's intended purpose.
"Come and Take it!" - Texans, October 2, 1835

battalion74

Post by battalion74 »

Just to let you know, what I read was that yes, they are canceling the MK16. SOCOM is trying to create a MK17 with converstion kit to MK16 parts for 5.56. They killed the MK16 to fund this part of the project, which apparently was always in the minds of SOCOM.
LINK: Can the FN MK17 SCAR-H (SCAR-Heavy) 7.62mm Common Receiver and 5.56mm Caliber Conversion Kit Save the SCAR Program?

Silent Professional

Post by Silent Professional »

It won't be missed. It was nothing more than a scheme to make the cheapest rifle possible and charge the US Military the most money possible per unit, right down to serial numbering each upper receiver, not the lower.

The US Military hasn't had a RIFLE in it's inventory since the M14. Strange how we're looping back to the effective battlefield calibers after 50 - 60 years. The US Military won't get a fighting rifle (or pistol) as long as the small arms budget is tied to the big bucks budget administered by one branch of the Service - the same branch responsible for taking a weapon designed for SP's on SAC bases and making it a "battle" rifle, and then never fires that "battle" rifle at distances greater than 25 meters.

The same branch wants to make the next service pistol a .40 S&W - after the Beretta 9mm debacle. Good thing that they're responsible for inconsequential weapons systems, like nukes, bombers, fighters, and missiles.

Sit down in a air conditioned office....check.
Put the coffee pot on to brew...check.
Boot up your PC...check.
Download the latest "warfighter" wallpaper and install it on to your destop so that everyone knows you're a YouTube ninja...check.
Push some buttons... check.
Start the paperwork that will convince Congress that you just won the GWOT...check.
Ask for $5 billion to research the next generation weapons system...check.

Now that FN is out of the running for the next service "rifle", they will start pushing the SCAR on to the public - who else (besides the US Military) would pay $4,000.00+ for a plastic 5.56 NATO?
"Out of one hundred men on the battlefield, eighty should not even be here. Ten are nothing more than targets.
Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them, They the battle make. Ah, but the one.
One is a warrior and he will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus, 500 B.C.

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Silent Professional wrote:Now that FN is out of the running for the next service "rifle", they will start pushing the SCAR on to the public - who else (besides the US Military) would pay $4,000.00+ for a plastic 5.56 NATO?

Is that what the military pays for a rifle? Does that include parts and supplies?

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

I paid $2250 out the door (not 4000) and feel that is right in line with an mid/upper end AR. I have several AR's but still prefer to shoot the SCAR. Side folder stock with adj comb and LOP, adj gas piston driver , uses AR mags and is configurable to left or right hand shooting. It really is a better engineered rifle but I agree it isnt enough to start replacing all the M4's in use.

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MadMonkey »

Maybe the price will go down a little now so I can afford one...
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

MadMonkey wrote:Maybe the price will go down a little now so I can afford one...
SIG 556 dropped from 2000 MSRP selling price $1800 to $1090-$1200. FS2000 dropped too to low $1200-$1300, SCAR would drop too.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

Beiruty wrote:
MadMonkey wrote:Maybe the price will go down a little now so I can afford one...
SIG 556 dropped from 2000 MSRP selling price $1800 to $1090-$1200. FS2000 dropped too to low $1200-$1300, SCAR would drop too.
If they drop under $1200 I'll probably pick one up. Not super-likely but it's something to look out for :mrgreen:
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

MadMonkey wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
If they drop under $1200 I'll probably pick one up. Not super-likely but it's something to look out for :mrgreen:
If SCAR goes`as low as $1200, I have a very nice SIG 556 for you! :mrgreen:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

big 54r

Post by big 54r »

Is me or does the American tax payer get jacked up twice in these design fiasco's...

1. pay for the design and developement of the system and then...
2. pay to supply the thing to the service branch's. :???:

I'm with the silent professional on this one for the most part!

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Silent Professional wrote:It won't be missed. It was nothing more than a scheme to make the cheapest rifle possible and charge the US Military the most money possible per unit, right down to serial numbering each upper receiver, not the lower.

The US Military hasn't had a RIFLE in it's inventory since the M14. Strange how we're looping back to the effective battlefield calibers after 50 - 60 years. The US Military won't get a fighting rifle (or pistol) as long as the small arms budget is tied to the big bucks budget administered by one branch of the Service - the same branch responsible for taking a weapon designed for SP's on SAC bases and making it a "battle" rifle, and then never fires that "battle" rifle at distances greater than 25 meters.

The same branch wants to make the next service pistol a .40 S&W - after the Beretta 9mm debacle. Good thing that they're responsible for inconsequential weapons systems, like nukes, bombers, fighters, and missiles.

Sit down in a air conditioned office....check.
Put the coffee pot on to brew...check.
Boot up your PC...check.
Download the latest "warfighter" wallpaper and install it on to your destop so that everyone knows you're a YouTube ninja...check.
Push some buttons... check.

Start the paperwork that will convince Congress that you just won the GWOT...check.
Ask for $5 billion to research the next generation weapons system...check.

Now that FN is out of the running for the next service "rifle", they will start pushing the SCAR on to the public - who else (besides the US Military) would pay $4,000.00+ for a plastic 5.56 NATO?
Seems like someone is a little touchy. First off, yes Gen. Curtis LeMay got the initial contract for the M-16 going...but there was NOTHING that said the Army had to jump on that bandwagon...except the politicians of the time. There is a LOT more to procurement than you are making it out to be...a lot of back office deals and politicking...the comments you are making are denigrating the entire USAF...and that just isn't right. I'm not trying to make this into any sort of contest...each service branch has their function under the National Defense Act. I too would like to see the men with "boots on the ground" get the weapons they need to make the other dumb so-and-so die for his country so OUR folks can come home safely to their friends and families. But NONE of us on this forum control that process. If you don't care for it, let your Senator and Representative know...THEY are the only ones that influence that. Please, save the vitriol for the BGs and those who abuse the system, and not put it out towards our men and women in uniform, ANY of them.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I'm in the process of building a new AR Carbine for my wife. Here's the cost of it all:

From Brownells.com:
• DPMS Buttstock Mounting Kit, Commercial Tube, Carbine - $54.92
• Commercial MOE Buttstock, O.D. Green - 49.27
• MOE Handguard, Carbine, O.D. Green - $24.62
• Complete Bolt/Carrier Group, Daniel Defense - $149.99

From SOG Armory at Ft Worth Gun Show:
• SOG Armory stripped lower - $109.00
• DPMS Lower Parts Kit - $69.95

From MidwayUSA.com
• YHM Assembled Upper Receiver - $119.99
• Model 1 Charging Handle Assembly with Tactical Latch - $25.00
• MagPul Maglevel Pmag Magazine, OD Green, 30 round, X5 - $85.25
• MagPul Pmag Magazine, OD Green, 20 round, X2 - $26.50

Already in my inventory from previous projects:
• ER Shaw M-4 Profile barrel with about 200 rounds through it - $0.00
• A2 style Front Sight - $0.00
• GI Pre-ban A2 Flashhider - $0.00

Total cost for a pretty nice home-made AR15 - $714.49

Add another $100 or less for a flip up rear sight, and that is a whole lot less than the cost of a SCAR.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I'm in the process of building a new AR Carbine for my wife. Here's the cost of it all:

From Brownells.com:
• DPMS Buttstock Mounting Kit, Commercial Tube, Carbine - $54.92
• Commercial MOE Buttstock, O.D. Green - 49.27
• MOE Handguard, Carbine, O.D. Green - $24.62
• Complete Bolt/Carrier Group, Daniel Defense - $149.99

From SOG Armory at Ft Worth Gun Show:
• SOG Armory stripped lower - $109.00
• DPMS Lower Parts Kit - $69.95

From MidwayUSA.com
• YHM Assembled Upper Receiver - $119.99
• Model 1 Charging Handle Assembly with Tactical Latch - $25.00
• MagPul Maglevel Pmag Magazine, OD Green, 30 round, X5 - $85.25
• MagPul Pmag Magazine, OD Green, 20 round, X2 - $26.50

Already in my inventory from previous projects:
• ER Shaw M-4 Profile barrel with about 200 rounds through it - $0.00
• A2 style Front Sight - $0.00
• GI Pre-ban A2 Flashhider - $0.00

Total cost for a pretty nice home-made AR15 - $714.49

Add another $100 or less for a flip up rear sight, and that is a whole lot less than the cost of a SCAR.
Missing:
Adjustable Comb
Adjustable piston drive
not ambidextrous
no side folding stock
includes folding front and rear sights
barrel replacement with allen wrench in minutes
monorail upper

If you dont want or need any of that stuff then an AR is definitely a better deal. AR does have the advantage of being modular for more variety of calibers and uses. I think the SCAR is a better rifle for front line battle but the AR is better suited for home, rear troops or sporting use.

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

[quote="rm9792"
If you dont want or need any of that stuff then an AR is definitely a better deal. AR does have the advantage of being modular for more variety of calibers and uses. I think the SCAR is a better rifle for front line battle but the AR is better suited for home, rear troops or sporting use.[/quote]

I'm gonna side with rm9792 on this: An equivalently-equipped AR will run you closer to the price of a SCAR (couple hundred less at the best).

I think the SCAR is nice (heavy model), but I don't see myself getting one yet, not until I decide to start running in the "Heavy Metal" category for 3-gun matches.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”