Mossberg 100 ATR

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
USCGELECTROTECH
Posts in topic: 4

Mossberg 100 ATR

Post by USCGELECTROTECH »

Does anyone own one of these? I am new to hunting and won't need a 250+ yd gun so I was thinking of picking up one in either .308 or 30.06. Any recomendations? How much are they going for, and where can I find one.

Thanks for your input.
Taurus PT145 MIL PRO (Carry Gun)
NRA
USCG (01-04 Blown Knee)
Semper Paratus

marktx
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Mossberg 100 ATR

Post by marktx »

Take a look at Stevens also. I beleive it to be a economical Savage and have heard decent things on both the Mossberg and Stevens, which I beleive to be comparable. Haven't shot either but have seen decent reveiws on both. Wish I could have been more help. Good luck.

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=c ... IFLES+CAMO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have a scoped .243 w/ black stock for $299.

If you can wait for a sale, they do go for less.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

kalipsocs

Post by kalipsocs »

I have the older version without the new fancy trigger, which I think would be awesome personally. Assuming all you are doing is hunting with it, it will work fantastic. Out of a cold bore and assuming I do my part, this rifle will group 130gr. Federal .270s in about a 3/4" group at 100 yards which is more than minute-of-deer :mrgreen: Having said all that, you might want to make sure you have the appropriate bases as I had a short action base on a long action rifle and it was driving me crazy that my newly bought Nikon ProStaff wouldn't fit, so I ended up spending the money and getting a Leupold base and rings. Also, the base mount screws on the original base had worked themselves loose and created some WILD patterns for me over time, so I would recommend that you get some blue permatex (automotive thread locker) and coat the screws. Overall, it is a great cheap rifle that you aren't afraid to ding up in the woods and has features that the higher end rifles poses (adjustable trigger, free float barrel, recessed muzzle crown, etc.). I say go for it and don't look back :thumbs2:

Topic author
USCGELECTROTECH

Thanks everyone. Now i just have to decide .308 or 30-06 :confused5

Let the comments flow.
NRA
USCG (01-04 Blown Knee)
Semper Paratus

kalipsocs

Post by kalipsocs »

USCGELECTROTECH wrote:Thanks everyone. Now i just have to decide .308 or 30-06 :confused5

Let the comments flow.
.30-06 I think just because it is relatively cheap and is still going strong for over 100 years. However, there is lots of cheap mil-sup .308 out there too. Either one I think will do, but I tend to gravitate to what hunter's have used for long periods of time not to mention a much wider range of factory loaded bullet weights. Don't fret too much between the two though, either will do for what you are trying to use it for. With the .30-06, the option of up to a 220 gr. bullet is nice since it will drop just about anything you want to hunt in North America! Just do your part and you'll have some good eating or a nice trophy ;-)

Also, I am personally a big fan of .270 and it is always close to/same price as .30-06. Its a flat shooter and works great for TX hunting situations. I would say just consider it....not to make the decision any more complicated :biggrinjester:

Kawabuggy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kawabuggy »

If you have the early, non-adjustable, trigger-I have good news for you. It is still adjustable.

I have worked all of the triggers on my Mossbergs (I have 3 of them) and they are super when done correctly. I can get them down to between 1-2 lbs. of pull, and completely eliminate any creep or take-up. I did a complete write up, with pictures, on how to do it if you are interested.

Honestly, I think you would be better served though by buying a Savage. While they might cost a little more, there is more after-market support (scope mounts, rings, stocks, trigger kits, etc;) for them. Plus, the Savages have the option to change calibers by swapping out barrels.

Yes, I do own 3 Mossbergs (1 ATR, and 2 4X4's) but no I would not buy another one. Not because I have had any problems with mine, but simply because there are better guns out there for just a little more $$$$. Look at the Marlin XS7, or XL7 as well. They fall in the same price range, sometimes even a little less, and they are as accurate (if not more so) than the Mossbergs.

Further, do a Google search on Mossberg ATR lawsuits... It's not what you want to read. But at least you should read it now before you buy one.

I don't hate the Mossbergs. But I can't in good conscience recommend them to new buyers either when there are comparably priced rifles, that are safer, available.

Topic author
USCGELECTROTECH

Kawabuggy, thanks for the great info.

I have been looking into the Marlin XL7 and the Savage Edge. Both get great reviews on Gunblast.com. I do probley need to save a little more to get a good quality rifle vs just jumping into it.

Thank you for the advise.
NRA
USCG (01-04 Blown Knee)
Semper Paratus

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

I just bought a Marlin XS7 in .308. I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, as I used all my money on the gun and I don't have a scope, but from all accounts and my not-overly-experienced eye, this is a good gun. It is light, quick to shoulder, and the Pro-Fire trigger (copied from Savage's Accu-Trigger) is very nice - zero creep.

Good luck on your "hunt" for the right gun!
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

kalipsocs

Post by kalipsocs »

Kawabuggy wrote:If you have the early, non-adjustable, trigger-I have good news for you. It is still adjustable.

I have worked all of the triggers on my Mossbergs (I have 3 of them) and they are super when done correctly. I can get them down to between 1-2 lbs. of pull, and completely eliminate any creep or take-up. I did a complete write up, with pictures, on how to do it if you are interested.

Honestly, I think you would be better served though by buying a Savage. While they might cost a little more, there is more after-market support (scope mounts, rings, stocks, trigger kits, etc;) for them. Plus, the Savages have the option to change calibers by swapping out barrels.

Yes, I do own 3 Mossbergs (1 ATR, and 2 4X4's) but no I would not buy another one. Not because I have had any problems with mine, but simply because there are better guns out there for just a little more $$$$. Look at the Marlin XS7, or XL7 as well. They fall in the same price range, sometimes even a little less, and they are as accurate (if not more so) than the Mossbergs.

Further, do a Google search on Mossberg ATR lawsuits... It's not what you want to read. But at least you should read it now before you buy one.

I don't hate the Mossbergs. But I can't in good conscience recommend them to new buyers either when there are comparably priced rifles, that are safer, available.
I did your google search, and didn't turn up much credible evidence to be frank. I saw some pics from an unknown bolt, and attorney claiming a class action suit with 2 posts on a forum. I think a class action suit on an major American gun manufacturer would produce some more press than hand me down stories on one or two forums. In today's litigious society, there is no way this wouldn't be major news to the shooting industry. Sorry, but I think its plenty safe.

I don't find the Marlin above the ATR, but in the same bracket. The ATR is a no frills rifle, and I sure wish it had a couple features that some of the higher rifles poses but if you plan on ACTUALLY hunting with it, I don't feel bad when a branch snags on it or I bump it around a bit while your out in the field. I haven't shot the Marlin so I can't speak for it personally, but I am skipping out on a newly produced rifle over on that has been on the market for 4 or 5 years.

If you can, I can't argue that a Savage is going to be a little better overall rifle but it also costs a little more. If you can afford it, go for it but not at the expense of getting a lesser scope/rings. I spent $400 out the door with a Bushnell 4-12x (now replaced with a Nikon ProStaff) and a season later bagged my first buck.

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=21875

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30780 *Graphic hunting photo. Blood/Dead deer

Shot was misplaced due to the scope mount base issue I mentioned, but I am still having tasty deer well into summer. Whatever you decide, make sure to post pics! :drool:

sookandy

Post by sookandy »

I have the camo'd up version of the ATR100 in .308 I used it last night to take down a Red Stag near Del Rio. 1 round and she was down at about 170 meters. I like the trigger pull on mine.

sookandy

Post by sookandy »

Oh and I have that same Nikon on my rifle as well. For the money it's awesome.

Topic author
USCGELECTROTECH

Went this past weekend and looked at all 3

100ATR good feel, no swivel studs for sling. no mag door.

XL7 ok feel, no scope

EDGE great feel, no adjustable trigger

I will probably go with the Savage Edge based upon their history of great accuracy and great feed back I found online. Thanks to all for your comments and support.
NRA
USCG (01-04 Blown Knee)
Semper Paratus

Kawabuggy

Post by Kawabuggy »

Kalipsocs-I was not bashing on Mossberg, and I'm sorry if you took it that way. When I read your reply, it seems to me (and I could be mistaken) that you were getting a little defensive.

I agree with you that FACTS are much more important than hyperbole.. Take it for what you will, I have read about two different cases in which people were injured as a result of the bolts on the ATR's coming apart when firing. I am aware of two different law-suits against Mossberg as a result.

Just because you have not heard about those lawsuits-does not mean that they did not happen, or that they do not exist. I'm sure that the facts in those cases will never see the light of day. If they are settled, there will be a gag order basically stopping any litigants from discussing the case outside of court. If you would like, I can provide you with the case #'s.

If you look carefully at the bolt handle on your ATR or 4X4, you will note that it is simply pressed into the bolt body. There is no bolt that holds it on. There is no weld there to permanently secure it. Now, picture what would happen if the press fit of that bolt were compromised, and the bolt handle could turn independently of the bolt body... Imagine if you will, a bolt handle in the down position-but in reality the bolt is not engaged in the locking lugs, and in essence is not locked up at all and then you pull the trigger. You & I can debate this if you would like, but I think if you really think about it-there may be some merit to the 2 lawsuits wherein they pulled the trigger, and then the bolt was thrust rear-ward penetrating the faces of 2 different people, in 2 different states, with the same rifle. Can I prove that this is what happened? NO! Do I see this as a possibility? YES! If the locking lugs were engaged-how could the bolt propel backwards into the shooters face? If the bolt handle was DOWN, how could the locking lugs not be engaged...... Do you now see what I see?

Again, I'm not bashing Mossberg. Maybe they got the problem resolved and we'll never hear about this happening again. Maybe they were just 2 isolated cases in which the bolt handles were not silver-soldered after the press fit.. Maybe those 2 cases are bogus.

What I do know is that I do not want to roll the dice and find myself (possibly?) in the same position. I actually welded all 3 of my bolt handles directly to the bolt body. Now when I push that bolt handle down, I have no fear about the bolt not engaging the locking lugs.

Knowing all this... Would I recommend that anyone buy a new Mossberg. No. Not when Savage, the new Savage Edge, & Marlin make similarly priced guns that are as accurate (or more so).

I won't argue that Mossbergs LOOK to be on par with the Savage Edge, the Marlin XS7 or XL7. However, if there is any shred of truth in the lawsuits, why would you willingly choose one?

On the other hand, the lawsuits could be bogus and if that is the case then all I am doing is fear-mongering based on some unfounded information on the web. You decide.

What I do know is that I purchased all 3 of mine BEFORE I read the specifics on the law-suits and I can honestly say that if I was aware of the suits before I purchased mine, I would NOT have purchased a Mossberg, and would have opted for another manufacturer. The Marlins were not out at the time I purchased the Mossbergs, or if they were, I had not seen them at the Academy where I purchased the Mossbergs.

I do feel safe shooting my Mossbergs after welding the bolts. Should a person have to worry about welding a bolt on a new rifle? Is that fear unfounded? In life, why take unnecessary risk that offers no rewards.

kalipsocs

Post by kalipsocs »

PM sent to avoid hijacking. To the OP, I think you will be happy with the Savage. Great guns overall, but I am leery of all new gun products to the market like the EDGE. But if no one buys em, then we can't see how they hold up either! Let us know how it goes!

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”