Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
davidtx
Posts in topic: 4

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Post by davidtx »

Academy has these on sale for 429.99. Does anybody have any experience with these? Comments?

Background: I don't have a 22 nor an AR - just looking for something to plink with and maybe shoot small varmits.

EyeToEye
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Post by EyeToEye »

We have a blast with ours. I originally bought it for my 11 yr old son but the whole family gets a kick out of this one. Alot of fun in the AR platform with cheap ammo cost. Some have had problems that required sending the gun back to S&W but I have not had any after about 2000 rounds down the pipe. I put a cheap red dot reflex sight on it that works great. This is also our first AR platform longun. We have the one with the threaded barrel and flash hider installed. I dont' think Academy has these in stock yet at least in my area.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Topic author
davidtx

Post by davidtx »

EyeToEye wrote:We have a blast with ours. I originally bought it for my 11 yr old son but the whole family gets a kick out of this one. Alot of fun in the AR platform with cheap ammo cost. Some have had problems that required sending the gun back to S&W but I have not had any after about 2000 rounds down the pipe. I put a cheap red dot reflex sight on it that works great. This is also our first AR platform longun. We have the one with the threaded barrel and flash hider installed. I dont' think Academy has these in stock yet at least in my area.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Thanks. I didn't realize that you could buy the threaded version now. There are lots of reviews lamenting the lack of threads - it looks like they shipped that after the non-threaded version. I think I'll try to find one of those.

Ziran
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ziran »

S&W is selling the model with the flash hider now:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... sFirearm=Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would definitely buy that over the standard version. Later in the year they will sell one with MAGPUL furniture installed (stock, grip, sights).

Topic author
davidtx

Post by davidtx »

I picked up one with the flash suppressor today at McBrides. Neither Academy or Red's had that model; McBrides had several. I put about 75 rounds through it at 25 yards. I tried 50 yards, but realized that these 55 year old eyes just aren't up to that with the stock sights. Now I need to figure out what my options are for optics.

EyeToEye
Posts in topic: 2

Post by EyeToEye »

Congrats! You'll enjoy shooting it immensely.

aaronspuler

Post by aaronspuler »

Good to hear good things about this rifle. I wonder how it compares to a 22 conversion kit for a standard AR? If any of yall have experience with both, I'd love to hear the comparison.

southboundp

Post by southboundp »

aaronspuler wrote:Good to hear good things about this rifle. I wonder how it compares to a 22 conversion kit for a standard AR? If any of yall have experience with both, I'd love to hear the comparison.

My question exactly. Also, what type of lowers do they have. Is it a standard .223/5.56 (and able to be converted to said upper)? or is it a dedicated .22 lower? Thanks.
Glock 27 .40 cal.
Taurus 24/7 Pro C 9mm
DMPS Panther Lite 16" 5.56 AR

dklag37

Post by dklag37 »

It is a dedicated .22 lower with a polymer upper. The good thing about this gun is that the bolt catch actually works so this would be a good rifle to learn the AR weapon system without breaking the bank. I'm thinking about getting one of these as well, but I also want to get a glock 19. Which one shall I choose??? :confused5
Dallas County

5/10/09 - CHL Class
5/12/09 - Applied Online
5/26/09 - Mailed Packet
6/26/09 - Processing Application
9/03/09 - Application Completed
9/11/09 - License Received

Topic author
davidtx

Post by davidtx »

In the course of my research, I found a review/article that explained why it was superior to an AR-22 conversion. Alas, I tried to find it the other night and after 30 minutes of searching, gave up.

IIRC, these were some of the major points:
1. Cost - especially if you haven't already got an AR15 to convert
2. .22LR is a little bit smaller that .223
3. The twist on 223 is quite a bit different than on 22

Based on his testing, he argued that 2&3 were why the gun was more accurate than a conversion.
I hope this makes sense - I know next to nothing about AR's. #1 was enough reason for me. I wanted to add a 22 rifle to my collection and this was an opportunity to also get some experience with AR type guns. And the fact that it looks cool didn't hurt either.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”