Shooting a rifle on private property?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

RECIT
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shooting a rifle on private property?

Post by RECIT »

I am in the same boat but I have been shooting on my parents 30 acres for over ten years. Now there are more "neighbors" (I use that term loosely) than ever and I have had no problem. You just have to know where your rounds are ending up. And yes a backstop is a great idea. I have not done that at my parents property yet, but its in the near future. My Mom is a little nervous about shooting anything bigger than a pistol with out a backstop. Even though we have been doing it for the said ten years this is a new concern with other people moving out towards my parents secluded property. I say be safe and respectful and have fun.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Topic author
Omar
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Omar »

Oldgringo wrote:
Omar wrote:Guys would it matter if it's agricultural land? He does have livestock on his land.

All we do is set up targets with a HUGE mound of dirt behind it (about two stories high) and target practice. We use a glock 21, glock 20, .308 ar-10, m91/30, and an akm.

I just want to be sure. THanks!
If y'all comply with the four safety rules and it's outside any city limits, shoot :fire until someone in authority tells you to stop and why.

Enjoy.
What are the four safety rules?

Here's where the land is. I'm not sure if it's an unincorporated area of a county, thought. Any help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring,_Texas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WillieD

Post by WillieD »

Omar wrote:
What are the four safety rules?

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... =23&t=1801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hkshooter

Post by hkshooter »

I called our Sheriff office and got some story about not doing it on less than 7 acres, so I asked what the county ordinance was and they didn't know. I called our district attorney and he thought I was crazy for even asking since we're a rural county. He even asked if he could come out and join me! "rlol"

The point is, your local police are going to give you their opinion or just wrong info. That's why I called the DA.

Have fun and be careful!
"The defence of one's self, justly called the primary law of nature, is not, nor can it be abrogated by any regulation of municipal law."
--- James Wilson, Wilson, Of the Natural Rights of Individuals, in The Works of James Wilson 335 (J.D. Andrews ed. 1896).

ETex2

Post by ETex2 »

I called the local sheriff and game warden in Henderson Co. a couple of years ago about my neighbor who put up a blind on the boundary of his property. The only place to shoot essentially was onto my land. He has less than 5 acres. No laws against it according to them. They said to call them if I find evidence they're shooting at my house (which was about 800-900 feet through thick woods away from the stand but in a direct line). Makes no sense.

KFP

Post by KFP »

The information below does not answer your question one way or the other, but does provide some information. Checking with local authorities sounds like your best course of action. Of course, you could just buy 20 more acres and not worry about it.

Sec. 229.002. REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON. A municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

(1) a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or

(2) a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.
Life Member NRA & TSRA

Topic author
Omar

Post by Omar »

KFP wrote:

(A) on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.
Well crap! His land is smaller than 50 acres; it's around 25... :roll:

I've been out the about 5 times with an AR, AK, glock, beretta and some others. Cops haven't bothered me yet.

Should I be worried now? I'm not sure if this is legal now? :confused5

txfireguy2003

Post by txfireguy2003 »

Omar wrote:
KFP wrote:

Well crap! His land is smaller than 50 acres; it's around 25... :roll:

I've been out the about 5 times with an AR, AK, glock, beretta and some others. Cops haven't bothered me yet.

Should I be worried now? I'm not sure if this is legal now? :confused5
Okay, but that doesn't mean you're prohibited YET. All that says is that the city cannot make any laws preventing it if those conditions are met. What this means is that they CAN make laws, but not that they HAVE. Additionally, this does not apply at all if you're more than 1/2 mile away from the city limits, since this law deals with the city's Extraterritorial Jurisdiction. If it were me, I would shoot, safely, and have fun.

In regards to your question about the city....NO, you cannot discharge a firearm in the city limits if the population is more than 100,000, or if the city has enacted its own ordinance. See below:

Sec. 42.12. DISCHARGE OF FIREARM IN CERTAIN MUNICIPALITIES. (a) A person commits an offense if the person recklessly discharges a firearm inside the corporate limits of a municipality having a population of 100,000 or more.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(c) If conduct constituting an offense under this section also constitutes an offense under another section of this code, the person may be prosecuted under either section.
(d) Subsection (a) does not affect the authority of a municipality to enact an ordinance which prohibits the discharge of a firearm.

I don't know of any cities that will allow you to discharge a firearm in a neighborhood. They will have an ordinance, or they will figure out another way to charge you, ie. deadly conduct, projectile across property lines, etc.

Topic author
Omar

Post by Omar »

But those conditions are met, right? I'm in a ETJ of Houston according to this:

Code: Select all

Spring is a census-designated place (CDP) within the extraterritorial jurisdiction of Houston in northern Harris County, Texas, United States, 20 miles (32 km) north of Downtown Houston.[3] The population was 36,385 at the 2000 census. Some areas of southern Montgomery County have Spring addresses but are outside of the Spring CDP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring,_Texas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It does also say Spring is 20miles north of downtown Houston.

I guess why I'm trying to make sure this is completely legal to avoid a ticket and having to get an attorney to fight it. $$$$

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”