Low Recoil Buckshot

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
kalipsocs
Posts in topic: 3

Low Recoil Buckshot

Post by kalipsocs »

Anyone here used theses? Have read a lot of PDs are switching to these for numerous reasons and I am convinced by what I have read to switch to these for home defense. I live in an apartment and my concern is having normal or magnum buckshot hurting a 3rd party (i.e. my neighbor who is a good guy!) as dry wall might as well be butter and the pellets a hot knife. Easier follow up shots and less noise is an added bonus. Which brand? I figure I should stick with Hornady TAP or Federal but the Federal is hard to find. Anyone use Fiochii low recoil?

TexasVet
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Low Recoil Buckshot

Post by TexasVet »

I got Federal low recoil from Ammunitiontogo a while back. Most of the time I looked they had it in stock.

rokclimbertx

Post by rokclimbertx »

i've run some of the winchester ranger 00 low recoil buckshot and the recoil is very low in my opinion...
have several boxes for HD along with some regular power slugs... i'd recommed the low recoil...
130 Days to TXCHL Issued

blacktop

Post by blacktop »

I've tried the Winchester WinLite 00 Buck. There is a noticeable difference compared to the regular buckshot. It's what we use in my wife's home defense 870. We also keep a couple of the WinLite slugs in the buttstock ammo carrier in case of pit bulls. (We've had problems with them trying to come through our front door to get to our dogs).
AJ
Cypress, TX

Mailed packet - Aug. 11
Check cashed- Aug. 21st
E-mailed Rep. Callegari, Sen. Dan Patrick, & Gov. Perry - Dec 30
Rec'd canned e-mail letter from Gov. Perry - Dec 31
DPS Website: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active - Jan. 7, 2009
Mailman delivered Jan. 10.

Furyataurus
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Furyataurus »

I have shot the Fiocchi Low Recoil and they shoot the same as any other low recoil but their shot is nickel plated which has its advantages over standard unplated shot. I haven't been able to find ANY, at the gunshow or stores, Fiocchi Low recoil buckshot since I went through 3 boxes of 10 months ago for fun. Now I have a box(25) of Winchester Ranger Low Recoil 8 pellet 00 buckshot 2.75" as well as 3" magnum 000 buck loaded already in my 870.

Henry Dearborn

Post by Henry Dearborn »

I shoot full power buck and slugs. I have found that reduced recoil slugs simply do not print consistently at longer distances. The full power stuff does. It just makes things simpler to have to worry about only one poi for each type of ammo-slug and buck.

Topic author
kalipsocs

Post by kalipsocs »

Henry Dearborn wrote:I shoot full power buck and slugs. I have found that reduced recoil slugs simply do not print consistently at longer distances. The full power stuff does. It just makes things simpler to have to worry about only one poi for each type of ammo-slug and buck.
Distance? I live in a 600 sq. ft. apartment... :lol: But currently I have full strength S&B 3" 00 Buck. I don't fell confident in my abilities to shoot a slug from it because i only have a front sight bead. Last time I shot a slug I missed what I was aiming for by about 2 feet!

Henry Dearborn

Post by Henry Dearborn »

Well, my thought on slugs anyway has always been that they are for "long distance" shotgun shooting- 50-100 yards. Buck will handle the shorter stuff especially in a gun with some choke.

There have been a few reports of the low recoil buck not adequately penetrating on suspects. We tend to think that penetration is bad from a civil liability standpoint etc....but blood out and air in works.....

I tend to come down on the "end the fight" and worry about the rest later side of things. A trainer that I admire once told me- " People file bankruptcy every day, you probably know someone who has, they can start over. People get out of prison every day, you MIGHT even know someone who has and gone on to lead a reasonably normal life. You don't get out of a pine box and you don't get to start over from it".

Topic author
kalipsocs

Post by kalipsocs »

Henry Dearborn wrote:Well, my thought on slugs anyway has always been that they are for "long distance" shotgun shooting- 50-100 yards. Buck will handle the shorter stuff especially in a gun with some choke.

There have been a few reports of the low recoil buck not adequately penetrating on suspects. We tend to think that penetration is bad from a civil liability standpoint etc....but blood out and air in works.....

I tend to come down on the "end the fight" and worry about the rest later side of things. A trainer that I admire once told me- " People file bankruptcy every day, you probably know someone who has, they can start over. People get out of prison every day, you MIGHT even know someone who has and gone on to lead a reasonably normal life. You don't get out of a pine box and you don't get to start over from it".
The pine box part is especially true. But at the distances I am at, I am not worried about penetration. As everyone else always says....shot placement is key. I feel I can be more proficient with reduced recoil rounds if the need ever arose. But to each his own I suppose. I will say if I lived in a house, I would just buy some 2 3/4" shells and forget about it.

Furyataurus

Post by Furyataurus »

I like the reduced recoil, but I also like the magnum rounds! :evil2: A magnum round being shot in close quarters like that will sound like a 16" gun from a battleship!!!! :evil2: Anyone left alive will be out the door before your hearing comes back!!!! :smilelol5:

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”