Browning Gold Hunter 20g

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Posts in topic: 2

Browning Gold Hunter 20g

Post by 5111 »

I found a used, but mint, Browning Gold Hunter in 20g for the wife this weekend and grabbed it. She will mostly shoot sporting clays with it and was wondering if there are any decent adjustable chokes out there or if we would be better off just getting extended chokes for it. Anyone with info?

Topic author

Re: Browning Gold Hunter 20g

Post by 5111 »

Anyone?

couzin

Post by couzin »

Heck - I'll try. The Polychoke or Tru-Glo adjustables are used for skeet, rap, and sporting clays (as well as the field) - I have seen a few folks with them - they just don't seem as popular on skeet, trap, or sporting. On sporting clays and trap doubles most folks have a over/under that has different chokes top and bottom to meet the conditions of the shot(s). The shooters around the sporting clays courses with single barrels, like yours, carry the additional chokes with them and swap according to what the upcoming course might be (the O/U shooters also swap chokes around as well though). They also use different ammunition loads for the type of shot(s). I guess the benefit to your wife would be that she wouldn't have to change the screw-in chokes (I like the extended screw-in cuz I can generally get them loose without a wrench - however, check the tightness after each station to make sure they are not backing out). The only bad news I have ever heard about Polychokes (maybe Tru-Glo as well?) is that the patterns sometimes get inconsistent. Maybe it is caused by wear or dirt? I would suggest you pattern the gun with either the adjustable or fixed choke and then adjust the shooter's 'fit' accordingly to get a 50/50 to 60/40 pattern. Here is a link to something by Pete Blakely that might help http://www.peteblakeley.com/pdf/pattern.pdf.

I will probably get flamed for the next remark but - on the sporting clays course, especially on long shots or very high ones, a 12 gauge is probably a better choice than a 20 (IMHO). If the issue is recoil, a 12 guage can be had that has similar 'kick' - and sometimes even less, than a 20. My wife's Beretta 3901 Target RL in 12 has practically no recoil - very sweet gun. My ported Citori XS has slightly more. My old Citori Lightning field gun will bruise.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

sbb
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sbb »

You should try Briley or Tru Lock. They both have websites and provide exceptional service and prompt shipping. I have purchased from both these companies in the past couple of years. Tru Lock is less expensive by a small margin. Both manufacturers have extended, flush and ported chokes available. Just google the company names to get additional information. Best of luck in your quest.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

couzin

Post by couzin »

You might also post the question on http://www.shotgunworld.com/ on one of the clays sections. Bet someone there has good info.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”