Tactical Shotgun Build for Jedi

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
LedJedi
Posts in topic: 8

Tactical Shotgun Build for Jedi

Post by LedJedi »

Howdy folks, I'm about to trick out that Winchester 1300 Defender I just picked up into a tactical shotgun. I thought it might be fun to share the process with you guys and maybe garner some good advice in the process. I ordered the parts yesterday, they should be here by Tuesday and will likely do the build out next week. I'll be sure and include photos and will probably eventually do a youtube video on the project. I'm absolutely looking for feedback/input here as well.

FYI, cost is an issue here. I'm not made of money, but believe in getting decent quality parts as well so I look for a balance of quality, function vs cost. I COULD put a $300 flashlight on here, but if I can find relatively the same thing for $40 that's what i'll use.

The gun:
Winchester 1300 Defender (no longer made apparently)
18.5 inch barrel, walnut stocks and foregrip, 5 round capacity.
This is the exact model I have. Only thing different is I don't have the checkering on the stock.

All parts were ordered from http://www.combatstocks.com and total cost with shipping was $139 and some change. I did a little shopping around and this looked like a good place to go with.

Parts Ordered:
ATI Universal Top Folding Shotgun Stock - $49.95
http://www.combatstocks.com/ATI_Univers ... k_SALE.cfm
Comments/Concerns: After looking at several of the stocks and thinking about how this will be used in my situation I opted for the folding vs collapsible stock because I will be carrying this on long trips in the car and it strikes me that a butt stock, even a collapsible one could be a hindrance if you had to use the weapon out the car door (lord forbid). It also seemed like a longer weapon might be an issue pulling up from between the seats or possibly mounting on the roof of the car (looking for roof mounting kits online now). I could have went with just a straight-up pistol grip but I liked having the option of folding out a standard size stock as well. It looks like the drawback here is I wont be able to put any/much padding on the butt plate. Pistol grip was a must-have option for me.

Rubber forend for the Winchester 1300 by Hogue Price: $20.49
Comments/Concerns: I've never been a fan of pistol front grips on a shotty. Not sure why. They seem cumbersome and awkward to me. I also didn't want to mess up the nice walnut stock it came with and wanted something that would match the overall feel of the finished build. Rubber over plastic simply for gripping, especially in wet conditions.

ATI 7-Shot Mag Extension for Winchester shotguns Price: $19.95
Comments/Concerns: Went with the 7 over the 8 shot because the 7 was recommended for the 18.5 barrel.

ATI Barrel Magazine Clamp with Sling Swivel Stud for Shotguns Price: $6.92
Comments/Concerns: Recommended by the site for stabilizing the magazine extension and it has a swiveling sling stud.

ATI Marine Heatshield with Ghost-Ring Sights (SHOTFORCE SYSTEM) Price: $26.85
Comments/Concerns: I dig the halo sights on this, though i might opt for fiber sights in the future. I also intentionally picked a contrasting color for the finish to increase the visibility / menacing factor. It also looks pimp :)

Parts I'm considering adding:
Good sling with 5-20 slots for shells
Flashlight, possibly with pressure switch I can mount on the foregrip. Have not yet found a flashlight with rail that I like. Looking for a light something like this, but would prefer it use standard batteries and be LED. Might end up getting an LED mini mag if i can find a pressure switch that will work with it.

Universal Shotgun Tri-Rail Barrel Mount-5 Slot Holds Tactical Flashlights, Laser and Other Accessories - $21.97
Comments/Concerns: Will most likely grind off of the top mount assembly and mount this directly on the extension tube as one of the other customers did in the comments. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SHT070-47754-2204.html

Also considering laser etching the main trigger housing to read "Don't Tread on Me" with a graphic of the Texas flag. I have a local shop in Pasadena that can do the etching at a very reasonable rate. I am a bit concerned over what you guys think that might do to the value of the gun though. What do you think?

Here's an example of some really nice laser work:
Last edited by LedJedi on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tactical Shotgun Build

Post by KC5AV »

I am really looking forward to seeing the finished product. That is going to look great.
NRA lifetime member

jpierce30
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jpierce30 »

I am looking forward to seeing your finished product. One thing you mentioned that got me to thinking is that you said there was a shop in Pasadena that does laser etching at reasonable rates. Who are they and where are they? I want to have some etching done to my AR-15>
Thanks,

Topic author
LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

jpierce30 wrote:I am looking forward to seeing your finished product. One thing you mentioned that got me to thinking is that you said there was a shop in Pasadena that does laser etching at reasonable rates. Who are they and where are they? I want to have some etching done to my AR-15>
Thanks,
Bauer Visual Graphics
1125 Broadway Ave
Pasadena, TX 77506 Map
(713) 473-5241

Really nice and flexible folks. Be sure and have some examples of what you want on hand when you go talk to them. Oh, just take the parts you want worked on, not the whole gun. They were kinda jittery about doing my pistol at first but were very cool about it as soon as i told them I was just bringing in a part to work on. I'll be using them again for sure :)

jpierce30

Post by jpierce30 »

Thanks for the info, when I decide for sure what I want I will take my lower to them.

M9FAN

Post by M9FAN »

KC5AV wrote:I am really looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Me too! Image
"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

Topic author
LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

My parts order from the first post in this thread was rescheduled to be delivered today (instead of yesterday).

I had to order a new holster for my wife yesterday since she decided to switch from carrying at the 2-3 o'clock position to the small of her back. I took that chance to slip a few more items into the order for this project :)

1) the tri-rail barrel mount listed above for $21.97

2) AR-15 1" Flashlight Adapter Easy to Install Fits your Rail $19.97
Comments: They had several models of a 1-inch mount but 2-3 of them were out of stock. This one got the best reviews

3) 2-in-1 Laser and 8 LED Light Gunmetal Gray Eight LED Bulbs, Uses AAA Batteries $7.97
Comments: I looked at probably 10-15 different models and this light got the best reviews for the price. Several folks mentioned that they came back and ordered several more.

Should have all my parts tomorrow if all goes well, pictures will be forthcoming this weekend or sooner. :)

Now i'll be looking for a sling that I like and possibly a roof mount rack.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

If that thing is really going for $700 on GunBroker or whatever, you oughtta sell it, buy the $300 Rem 870, or one of those cheap shotties. the capital you get from selling the anitque would get you started on the rebuild.
thing's nice lookin' as it is.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Topic author
LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

DoubleJ wrote:If that thing is really going for $700 on GunBroker or whatever, you oughtta sell it, buy the $300 Rem 870, or one of those cheap shotties. the capital you get from selling the anitque would get you started on the rebuild.
thing's nice lookin' as it is.
I pondered it and may end up doing that eventually, but for now i just wanna play. :)

Topic author
LedJedi

Re: Tactical Shotgun Build for Jedi

Post by LedJedi »

I have opted not to do the heat shield at this time. I really wasn't happy with the quality on the part. I'm going to continue to think about what I want the laser etching to look like and shop around for designs. For now. this is what the build looks like.

This uses the stock, foregrip, magazine extension, magazine clamp, tri rail and flashlight detailed above. Took about an hour to do and was the first time I had ever fully disassembled a shotgun. I could probably do the same thing again in about 20 minutes.

The only mix-up i ran into was attaching the hogue foregrip to the slide piece that goes over the magazine. apparently they expected the slide piece to be much longer (perhaps for a different model, even though the grip itself says it's for the 1300 model). There was no way to securely attach the grip to the slide piece so i improvised and broke out the hot glue gun to attach to the two parts. This actually worked brilliantly and the glue is far enough from the barrel that i don't anticipate any problems from barrel heat even with intense use. If i ever want to switch back to the old walnut foregrip again the hot glue will likely come off easily with a hobby knife has it has for other projects. The new pistol grip makes it much more convenient to reach the magazine release switch. Also, it's very easy to smash the heck out of your thumb when hitting the stock's release button to extend the stock. I found that out the hard way and took a chunk out of my thumb tip a few minutes ago.

Overall Length with stock folded: 29.5 inches
Overall Length with stock extended: 38.5

Other Notes: this modification substantially increased the weight of the weapon. It's noticeably front heavy now. That should actually help with recoil though I would think. I would also like to add a rubberized hogue style grip for the pistol grip over the hard plastic. The front hogue foregrip feels great. The stock required a large allen wrench for installation which the instructions and website didn't mention. I didn't have one on stock so i improvised with large flat head screwdriver. The 7 shot magazine also only holds six at the moment because the new spring has yet to be broken in.

Photo notes: these photos are extremely wide. You may have to stretch your browser to see them completely.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

very awesome looking! nicely done
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Topic author
LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

ok, i'm now pondering the engraving. Now that I look at the receiver it looks like there's ample space on both sides of the main receiver for engraving. I'd like to solicit ideas from you guys on what to have engraved on either side. this is what i'm thinking thus far, but plz chime up with your ideas.

on the side with the ejector port I'd like to have a background of the Texas flag with a coiled rattler and the text "Don't Tread On Me"

On the blank side I'm considering the american flag as a background with the text of the 2nd amendment.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

what do you guys think?

HerbM

Post by HerbM »

LedJedi wrote:Other Notes: this modification substantially increased the weight of the weapon. It's noticeably front heavy now. That should actually help with recoil though I would think. I would also like to add a rubberized hogue style grip for the pistol grip over the hard plastic. The front hogue foregrip feels great. The stock required a large allen wrench for installation which the instructions and website didn't mention. I didn't have one on stock so i improvised with large flat head screwdriver. The 7 shot magazine also only holds six at the moment because the new spring has yet to be broken in.
So is this beast like 12 shots at the moment? (Cool!)

Will it fire with that butt stock up? (Is that even kosher?)

I think I want the mag extension, maybe the flashlight stuff on mine. (Jealous again.)

NICE GUN!!!! I love it. Congratulations.
HerbM

Target1911
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Target1911 »

HerbM wrote:
LedJedi wrote:Other Notes: this modification substantially increased the weight of the weapon. It's noticeably front heavy now. That should actually help with recoil though I would think. I would also like to add a rubberized hogue style grip for the pistol grip over the hard plastic. The front hogue foregrip feels great. The stock required a large allen wrench for installation which the instructions and website didn't mention. I didn't have one on stock so i improvised with large flat head screwdriver. The 7 shot magazine also only holds six at the moment because the new spring has yet to be broken in.

I think I want the mag extension, maybe the flashlight stuff on mine. (Jealous again.)

The "7 shot ext" actually only adds 2rds to the already 5rds [stock with plug removed] to give you a total of 7rds.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

Topic author
LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

HerbM wrote:

yeah, it adds two shots for a maximum of 7. the mag already held 5. Right now I can only load six but once the spring breaks in I should be able to get the last round in. That's not counting one in the chamber, but I'm not keeping one in the chamber. then i wouldn't get that marvelous sound of a shotgun racking a round right before I have to use it.

Why wouldn't that stock be kosher (legal?) Pistol grips are just fine in Texas. The only laws i can find that are related are the overall length. Required is 26 inches and mine is almost 30. Yeah, it will have no problem firing with the stock up. It doesn't block the ejection port. that was actually the first thing I checked.

I'm thinking i may eventually put the heat shield on it but i'm going to have to sand blast it to take off the rough edges, find a wooden dowel the same size as my barrel and work the shield until it's a snug fit on the barrel, then re-finish the shield with primer and heat tolerant paint. I may also try and attach some rubber gaskets or something to use as a spacer between the shield and the barrel. For the price i paid for the shield I really didn't expect it to need modifications that extensive to make me happy with it though.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”