Pump-actions vs Lever-Actions

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pump-actions vs Lever-Actions

Post by bblhd672 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Legionnaire wrote:A lot of good info in the replies above. I agree with Annoyed Man that the bolt-action rifle is the best all purpose platform. That said, I like levers and pumps, too. While there is some overlap now, generally speaking the levers work best with pistol cartridges and flat-nosed rifle cartridges like the .30-30 and .35 Remington. Pumps with box magazines more commonly handle bottleneck rifle cartridges (.243, .308, .270, .30-06) better. Yes, I know there are pumps that shoot pistol cartridges and levers that shoot bottleneck rifle cartridges ... just speaking in general terms.

And in those general terms, if I'm looking to launch pistol cartridges, I'd opt for the lever (like a Marlin 94 to go with a .357 revolver); if I wanted to hunt big game, I'd opt for the pump (Remington 760 Carbine in .308 would be my preference). Let your purpose inform your choice.

I expect that if we reach the point that semi-autos are banned, the big manufacturers will pick up production of pumps and levers--at least I'd hope so. I grew up in PA, where Remington 760s and 7600s are affectionately called "Amish machine guns."

All that said, if I could only own one rifle, it would be a bolt-action in an intermediate cartridge: .308 or .260 most likely.
If we ever reach the point that semi-auto rifles are banned, there really will be no guarantees that lever action and pump action guns would not also be banned. The answer is simple. To the extent this is perceived as a real risk, stock up now.
Yes, that is the bottom line. Even in Australia, it's been estimated that only about 20% of the firearms in private hands were scooped up by gov't, and the rest are still out there. My response has been to adopt an acquisition mode for now......which is why a lever rifle in .30-30 and a supply of ammo for it are in my future. If I bought one in a pistol caliber, it could be either .357 or .44 magnum, as I have pistols in both of those calibers. But if I had to pick ONE long gun in a centerfire rifle caliber, it would have to be a bolt action in .308, which, for a lot of reasons, is a superior platform in a proven caliber with a wide range of bullet weights and applications.
TAM you just keep stoking my fire on buying a .308 scout rifle.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bblhd672 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Legionnaire wrote:A lot of good info in the replies above. I agree with Annoyed Man that the bolt-action rifle is the best all purpose platform. That said, I like levers and pumps, too. While there is some overlap now, generally speaking the levers work best with pistol cartridges and flat-nosed rifle cartridges like the .30-30 and .35 Remington. Pumps with box magazines more commonly handle bottleneck rifle cartridges (.243, .308, .270, .30-06) better. Yes, I know there are pumps that shoot pistol cartridges and levers that shoot bottleneck rifle cartridges ... just speaking in general terms.

And in those general terms, if I'm looking to launch pistol cartridges, I'd opt for the lever (like a Marlin 94 to go with a .357 revolver); if I wanted to hunt big game, I'd opt for the pump (Remington 760 Carbine in .308 would be my preference). Let your purpose inform your choice.

I expect that if we reach the point that semi-autos are banned, the big manufacturers will pick up production of pumps and levers--at least I'd hope so. I grew up in PA, where Remington 760s and 7600s are affectionately called "Amish machine guns."

All that said, if I could only own one rifle, it would be a bolt-action in an intermediate cartridge: .308 or .260 most likely.
If we ever reach the point that semi-auto rifles are banned, there really will be no guarantees that lever action and pump action guns would not also be banned. The answer is simple. To the extent this is perceived as a real risk, stock up now.
Yes, that is the bottom line. Even in Australia, it's been estimated that only about 20% of the firearms in private hands were scooped up by gov't, and the rest are still out there. My response has been to adopt an acquisition mode for now......which is why a lever rifle in .30-30 and a supply of ammo for it are in my future. If I bought one in a pistol caliber, it could be either .357 or .44 magnum, as I have pistols in both of those calibers. But if I had to pick ONE long gun in a centerfire rifle caliber, it would have to be a bolt action in .308, which, for a lot of reasons, is a superior platform in a proven caliber with a wide range of bullet weights and applications.
TAM you just keep stoking my fire on buying a .308 scout rifle.
My work here is done. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Legionnaire
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Legionnaire »

:iagree: Not an official "scout" by Cooper's definition, but my go-to hunting rifle for a very long time has been a Remington Model 7 in .308. I dropped it in an H.S. Precision sporter stock and mounted a compact Leupold 2-7X in the standard (rather than forward) position. It is light, handy, and just at MOA accurate with 150 grain Core-Lokts out to 300--plenty accurate for its purpose, so I've not done any load development to try and improve accuracy. That's my "scout," and it will likely be the rifle I'll hold on to longer than any other when I (eventually) begin to scale back.
Cogito, ergo armatus sum.

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crash »

Thanks everybody for the recommendations and opinions. And by the way, I have a Howa 1500 in .308 with a 3x9 scope and 20" barrel which would fulfil the scout rifle function, except that it doesn't have a detachable magazine. However, Howa has a kit to fix that.

I may forego a lever- or pump-action chambered for a pistol cartridge as a short-range defensive rifle, and go with my Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge. I'm going to get an 18 1/2" barrel for it and an extended magazine. With the mag loaded with alternate slug and #3 buckshot rounds it ought to do the job out to 50 yards or so. Beyond that, my Howa will take care of problems (from a bench it will put three rounds into 3/4" if I do my part). And if the trouble is "up close and personal," I have several handguns that will do the job.

Again, thanks

Crash

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

Crash wrote:Thanks everybody for the recommendations and opinions. And by the way, I have a Howa 1500 in .308 with a 3x9 scope and 20" barrel which would fulfil the scout rifle function, except that it doesn't have a detachable magazine. However, Howa has a kit to fix that.

I may forego a lever- or pump-action chambered for a pistol cartridge as a short-range defensive rifle, and go with my Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge. I'm going to get an 18 1/2" barrel for it and an extended magazine. With the mag loaded with alternate slug and #3 buckshot rounds it ought to do the job out to 50 yards or so. Beyond that, my Howa will take care of problems (from a bench it will put three rounds into 3/4" if I do my part). And if the trouble is "up close and personal," I have several handguns that will do the job.

Again, thanks

Crash
As much as I like my Henry Golden Boy in .44Mag and now there is a shorter carbine version that I will consider, I appreciate your choice to stay with the Mossberg and get a shorter barrel. That will give you more flexibility because of the various loads that can be used.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Crash wrote:Thanks everybody for the recommendations and opinions. And by the way, I have a Howa 1500 in .308 with a 3x9 scope and 20" barrel which would fulfil the scout rifle function, except that it doesn't have a detachable magazine. However, Howa has a kit to fix that.

Again, thanks

Crash
Make mine a 12 Gauge 20" 8+1 round 590A1 Mossy:

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Legionnaire
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Legionnaire »

Crash wrote:I may forego a lever- or pump-action chambered for a pistol cartridge as a short-range defensive rifle, and go with my Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge. I'm going to get an 18 1/2" barrel for it and an extended magazine. With the mag loaded with alternate slug and #3 buckshot rounds it ought to do the job out to 50 yards or so. Beyond that, my Howa will take care of problems (from a bench it will put three rounds into 3/4" if I do my part). And if the trouble is "up close and personal," I have several handguns that will do the job.
Interesting. I wasn't clear on your intended purpose. I have a Mossberg 500 Bantam (youth) in 20 gauge I bought primarily to introduce young people to shotgunning. When I eventually bought an 18.5" cylinder bore for it, I decided it was a dandy home defense tool. The bantam stock, short barrel, and light weight make it very handy. Doesn't look at "tacticool" as a 590, but tactical is as tactical does. I think your choice is a good one. :thumbs2:
Cogito, ergo armatus sum.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Make mine a 12 Gauge 20" 8+1 round 590A1 Mossy:

Say hello to my little kitty!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Soap
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soap »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Soap wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Just from using a pump action shotgun with rifle sights, I would guess that a lever rifle would be easier for the shooter to maintain a good sight picture while cycling the action.
Not sure about that one. It's hard to go prone with lever action. Pumps you jack the slide into your and lever action is pulling away.
I don't know. You're right about lever actions from the prone I guess, but I don't imagine that a pump action from the prone is that much easier without breaking your sight picture. But again....I've fired a pump action rifle maybe once or twice in my life, from a bench, so I don't any real experience with them; and I'm basing my experience on two pump action 12 gauge shotguns I've owned, both of which had rifle-type open sights on them (ghost ring rear, ramped front). I haven't fired either of those from the prone either (standing, offhand only), but I'm thinking that proved out wouldn't be that much easier than with a lever action. I'm willing to admit that I could be wrong.

But frankly, I'm a bolt action guy at heart, and it seems to me that a light-weight bolt action in sufficient caliber, with a shorter handier barrel, would solve that problem entirely...........like, gee.......I don't know.......maybe a Scout Rifle? :mrgreen: You get a 10 round removable box magazine for fast reloads; you get a sufficient caliber like .308; you get tighter, more accurate lockup with the bolt action; and you get greater mechanical simplicity, with fewer parts to break. What's not to like?
To be honest there isn't much reason to have a lever action besides personal preference. I've also never had any malfunctions with my 3030 but bolt actions are the way to go. I like the pump action ar but there is just no reason for it imo.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”