Memorial Day

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Memorial Day

Post by carlson1 »

:patriot:
Remember those who have fallen for our freedom and safety I came across something that is forgotten from time to time. Prayers sent for all of our men and women who serve and have served.

I already knew that we have 20 veterans who commit sucide every day. I just have not thought about our first responders until I heard that every 11 days a police officer commits suicide.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... /503735002
Last year, 103 firefighters and 140 police officers committed suicide, whereas 93 firefighters and 129 officers died in the line of duty, which includes everything from being fatally shot, stabbed, drowning or dying in a car accident while on the job.

Pawpaw

Re: Memorial Day

Post by Pawpaw »

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Oh man, this is just horrible. I had no clue what a toll doing these jobs take.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Pawpaw wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:18 am
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

God Bless all those who have given their all and comfort those who grieve them.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

It really irks me that all these ungrateful spoiled self entitled brats are out jet skiing and swimming at the lake and BBQing and being FREE to do what they want today because of these men and women, and yet tomorrow they will go and protest against and make a mockery of everything that these soldiers have fought and died for... It's ironic when you think about it... and irritating.
NRA Member

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

In his Gettysburg Address, President Lincoln described the sacred nature of the battlefield and the sacrifices made there.
But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.
He went on to describe our purpose in response to that sacrifice.
It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
I lack the power to add to or detract from Lincoln's words. Rather, I simply agree and rededicate myself to be highly resolved to do my part to finish the great task for which my brothers and sisters have given that last full measure of devotion.
:patriot: :txflag:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

And the community said: Amen!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

For my family, Memorial Day is a day to remember our fallen soldiers. Sure, we have the swimming, the BBQ, and the rest, but each Memorial Day starts at the Houston National Cemetery with a backpack full of American flags. We visit our four MoH recipients, visit a handful of family friends, and the pick an area at random to plant the rest of the flags. We stop and talk to strangers who are visiting their own family members and ask the to, “tell us about their veterans.”

We started this about 5-6 years ago with just my daughter and me (1st photo below), but our entourage has grown now to include three families (2nd photo has most of the current group of kids).
The attachment 0843BEF2-6EA2-44E7-8B07-B525FA9C26C5.jpeg is no longer available
0843BEF2-6EA2-44E7-8B07-B525FA9C26C5.jpeg
Last edited by Vol Texan on Tue May 29, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

Grundy1133 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:41 pm It really irks me that all these ungrateful spoiled self entitled brats are out jet skiing and swimming at the lake and BBQing and being FREE to do what they want today because of these men and women, and yet tomorrow they will go and protest against and make a mockery of everything that these soldiers have fought and died for... It's ironic when you think about it... and irritating.

I agree with you. :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Return to “Off-Topic”