MY FLAG WILL BE FLYING TOMORROW - 911

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 1

MY FLAG WILL BE FLYING TOMORROW - 911

Post by Jim Beaux »

In memory of the innocents.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

ssnstump

Re: MY FLAG WILL BE FLYING TOMORROW - 911

Post by ssnstump »

NEVER FORGET!
US Navy Submarine Service 1976-1982

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 4

Post by sjfcontrol »

Fly it at half mast tomorrow. :tiphat:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Hopefully the the US and Americans will be on high alert tomorrow, but I am concerned that ISIL will choose to carry out jihad on another date to differentiate themselves from Al Qaeda.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

sjfcontrol wrote:Fly it at half mast tomorrow. :tiphat:
a good idea. I'm there.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

oohrah wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:Fly it at half mast tomorrow. :tiphat:
a good idea. I'm there.
It's official, patriot day.

http://dailyflagstatus.com/4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never Forget. Image

Mahzik

Post by Mahzik »

Mine will be flying proudly as well. :patriot:

Question for those who might know more about proper flag etiquette. I have a flag pole holder mounted on the side of my house, not a full flag pole. The flag is attached to the top of the pole that is then set into the holder, so there is no real way to fly at half mast. Other than putting in a true flag pole, what, if anything, can/should I do?
Mahzik
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Mahzik wrote:Mine will be flying proudly as well. :patriot:

Question for those who might know more about proper flag etiquette. I have a flag pole holder mounted on the side of my house, not a full flag pole. The flag is attached to the top of the pole that is then set into the holder, so there is no real way to fly at half mast. Other than putting in a true flag pole, what, if anything, can/should I do?

Then you just fly it normally. Not much else you can do.

A little trivia, the term "Half Mast" is actually for flags on ships. The "land-bound" term is half-staff.
Never Forget. Image

b322da
Posts in topic: 2

Post by b322da »

What many persons in that situation, including yours truly, do, is tie a black "mourning ribbon" to the top of the flag pole. Mine is a strip of black fabric measuring about 4 in. by 5 feet. When tied at the middle of the strip the ribbon hangs down about 2-1/2 feet on each side of the flag. This is quite acceptable. Mine, for example, is prominent and very noticeable each year on Memorial Day.

Jim

ryanj

Post by ryanj »

My flag is always flying. Today it flies at half mast.

I work in New York, I lived in New York during the attacks. I came to work today.

Why? The terrorists don't get to win this one. Also, my job involves upholding the free exercise of the 1st amendment, which is just as important as the 2nd amendment. I take this duty seriously.

b322da
Posts in topic: 2

Post by b322da »

sjfcontrol wrote:A little trivia, the term "Half Mast" is actually for flags on ships. The "land-bound" term is half-staff.
I would not recommend insisting on this to the color detail at the Naval Academy, or that at the Marine Memorial, if I were you. Tradition sees the quite appropriate use of the respectful expression "half-mast" at many military reservations, even those of "land-bound" military services. National tradition trumps arbitrary rules established by those not having that tradition.

Jim

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

b322da wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:A little trivia, the term "Half Mast" is actually for flags on ships. The "land-bound" term is half-staff.
I would not recommend insisting on this to the color detail at the Naval Academy, or that at the Marine Memorial, if I were you. Tradition sees the quite appropriate use of the respectful expression "half-mast" at many military reservations, even those of "land-bound" military services. National tradition trumps arbitrary rules established by those not having that tradition.

Jim
I wasn't insisting on it's use by anybody. Both are considered respectful terms.
Never Forget. Image

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

b322da wrote:

What many persons in that situation, including yours truly, do, is tie a black "mourning ribbon" to the top of the flag pole. Mine is a strip of black fabric measuring about 4 in. by 5 feet. When tied at the middle of the strip the ribbon hangs down about 2-1/2 feet on each side of the flag. This is quite acceptable. Mine, for example, is prominent and very noticeable each year on Memorial Day.

Jim
Mine flies every day as well and is on a pole mounted to my house. I hadn't thought about using a black ribbon on half staff (mast) days. Thanks for a great idea.
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

If your flag is hanging out all night, make sure you have a light on it. I recommend a large solar powered one from Walmart. I think I paid 10 bucks for it. It's been going strong for at least 2 years now.

Ryanj, I like the way you think! Good for you! :patriot:

God bless all who were affected by 9-11. Never forget!
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Return to “Off-Topic”