Felix Baumgartner - 24 Mile Jump From Space

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Felix Baumgartner - 24 Mile Jump From Space

Post by WildBill »

You might recall Austrian skydiver Felix Baumgartner's 2012 jump from a 24-mile-high balloon capsule, a height of 127,852 feet. He broke not only an altitude record, formerly set by a U.S. Air Force pilot, Col. Joe Kittinger, in 1960, but also a record for speed of descent, breaking the sound barrier on his plummet to the New Mexico desert.

As NPR's Dana Farrington wrote of the feat on Oct. 14, 2012, Baumgartner's accomplishment was "the highest jump, the longest distance free fall and the fastest velocity" (Mach 1.24).

It begins with Baumgartner taking directions from Kittinger in mission control. Kittinger directs him to disconnect his oxygen hose and step to the exterior ledge of the capsule.

After the brief conversation, Baumgartner stands at the precipice and says: "I wish you could see what I could see.

"Sometimes you have to be really high up to understand how small you are. I'm coming home now," he says.

Very Good Quality HD video

[youtube][/youtube]

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... ecord-jump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

jmra

Re: Felix Baumgartner - 24 Mile Jump From Space

Post by jmra »

Increidible no matter how many times you watch it.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

I watched it live the day of and it scared me, i couldnt imagine jumping off a roof much less from the outskirts of space. What i was amazed at was his perfect landing.
NRA Life Member

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dragonfighter »

Joe Kittenger also broke Mach but that feat and his altitude were not recorded as records due to the USAF not allowing the Institut Aeronautique et Spatial to add instruments and "officially document" the event. Also it was an "experiment" to see if a man could survive a bailout at that altitude. Oh yeah, he did it with a leaky glove effectively (and thankfully temporarily) disabling a hand.

My step-dad knows him and I got a personalized and signed copy of his book, Come Up and Get Me for Christmas two years ago. Great read, especially when you find out the origin of the title.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Having done a bit of sky diving, I can tell you when you're so high up the fear of heights disappears as the environment is so alien that height isn't part of the scenario.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Abraham wrote:Having done a bit of sky diving, I can tell you when you're so high up the fear of heights disappears as the environment is so alien that height isn't part of the scenario.
I figured that would be the case, but also figure that at some point I will be able to tell how high I am and at that point it would begin causing some serious issues.

BTW, very cool video and feat.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Austin83

Post by Austin83 »

Way cool! Never get tired of watching that jump.

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

I certainly appreciate the epic magnitude of his feat, but speaking for myself I just can't imagine jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft. More power to him! I'm not scared of heights, not with all the flying I do for work, but its kind of nice having a floor below me. Even if the ground is 40,000 feet lower than that.

Strangely, submarines are another matter.....

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

AndyC wrote:
lonewolf wrote:I certainly appreciate the epic magnitude of his feat, but speaking for myself I just can't imagine jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft.
There are no perfectly good aircraft - that's the flaw in your logic ;)
:iagree:

When I first joined the Air Force, I dreamed of becoming a pilot... Then I started meeting aircraft mechanics. :shock:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

Amazing video!
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dragonfighter »

AndyC wrote:
lonewolf wrote:I certainly appreciate the epic magnitude of his feat, but speaking for myself I just can't imagine jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft.
There are no perfectly good aircraft - that's the flaw in your logic ;)
I have jumped both tactically and as free fall (just a few of the latter). My step dad is a high time Air Force (I calculated his hours as adding up to three and a half years). Much of that time was with MAC. He was gigging me about being airborne and asked the tired old, "Why would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane?" Without missing a beat and as deadpan as I have ever been fired back, "If you've ever flown with a MAC pilot, you'd know." My BIL who was there and a retired Cobra pilot, laughed out loud. The only time I have seen him move beyond a smirk.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Return to “Off-Topic”