Google "Pressure Cooker" & "Backpack" - Get Visit from Feds

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
PUCKER
Posts in topic: 2

Google "Pressure Cooker" & "Backpack" - Get Visit from Feds

Post by PUCKER »

Just saw this on Drudge... :shock:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmra

Re: Google "Pressure Cooker" & "Backpack" - Get Visit from

Post by jmra »

The clarification at the end of the story was interesting and suggested there was much more to the story than the title leads you to believe.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

"GOT WARRANT??"

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

JMPJr

Post by JMPJr »

jmra wrote:The clarification at the end of the story was interesting and suggested there was much more to the story than the title leads you to believe.
:iagree:

The middle of the "clarification and update" almost reads as an apology.

JMPJr

Post by JMPJr »

Apparently there's additional information available. Here's two of the links that are popping up:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/01/employ ... ot-google/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... /?hpid=z11

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

"Do you have a warrant?"

"No."

"Have a nice day." *SLAM*
Byron Dickens

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

They're here for your protection: they don't need a warrant.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Topic author
PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

JMPJr wrote:Apparently there's additional information available. Here's two of the links that are popping up:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/01/employ ... ot-google/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... /?hpid=z11
Appreciate the further digging/follow up. :tiphat:

brainman

Post by brainman »

The fact that this was brought to the police's attention by her employer and not the NSA doesn't really make this any better IMO. The police still showed up and searched her house because she googled something. That is not remotely OK. I am a microbiologist and I use the internet to search for info on things that could be used for bioterrorism all the time. Should I have to worry about a visit from the police? And even if I didn't have a reason and was just curious, when did reading about something become cause for a search?

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Seems like some people are missing the part where the officers said they do the same thing about 100 times a week and 99% of the time (and I suspect that number is generous) find nothing worth investigating.

And regardless of where the tip came from the response is absurd; as is the notion that free people get visits from the police for internet searches, especially when the search involves big events that people are naturally curious about. Gee, I've done searches for suppressors and machine guns, a combination far more deadly than a backpack and a pressure cooker. If the police have the time to run down "tips" as ridiculous as this then they've got way more resources than they actually need, and huge budget cuts are in order.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by EEllis »

brainman wrote:The fact that this was brought to the police's attention by her employer and not the NSA doesn't really make this any better IMO. The police still showed up and searched her house because she googled something. That is not remotely OK. I am a microbiologist and I use the internet to search for info on things that could be used for bioterrorism all the time. Should I have to worry about a visit from the police? And even if I didn't have a reason and was just curious, when did reading about something become cause for a search?
The cops showed up and had a chat, so what? It was her husband by the way not her and he looked up bomb making on a work computer that he gave back when they let him go. I'm sure the company was thinking "What if he is thinking of blowing us up?" and figured it couldn't hurt to call the cops. The stopped by and decided there was no need to look any further. Win Win right? They don't wast time and he doesn't have any investigators watching him looking for signs he's a crazy bomber and the company can relax. He could of said no and there is no indication it would have gone any further or that the cops would have cared at all. The blog post made is sound very cursory and casual. I understand that warrants are needed for searches against a persons wishes, but what, you want then to have to get a warrant before voluntary searches? Before they can even ask? Seems a bit much.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

so I like to write fiction, one of these days maybe I write a murder mystery and google ways to kill someone or blow some one up that's going to get me a visit from the cops....they'd better have a warrant, and yes, I've trained my kids to say that too. "I do not consent to a search"
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

SewTexas wrote:so I like to write fiction, one of these days maybe I write a murder mystery and google ways to kill someone or blow some one up that's going to get me a visit from the cops....they'd better have a warrant, and yes, I've trained my kids to say that too. "I do not consent to a search"
Unless you were googling it from a place that just fired you I don't think you have to worry. Oh and congrats on spreading the parranoia to the next generation. JK :tiphat:

talltex

Post by talltex »

EEllis wrote:
SewTexas wrote:so I like to write fiction, one of these days maybe I write a murder mystery and google ways to kill someone or blow some one up that's going to get me a visit from the cops....they'd better have a warrant, and yes, I've trained my kids to say that too. "I do not consent to a search"
Unless you were googling it from a place that just fired you I don't think you have to worry. Oh and congrats on spreading the parranoia to the next generation. JK :tiphat:
:rules: It's not a question of PARANOIA, EEllis....it's your CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT under the 4th Amendment.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

talltex wrote:
EEllis wrote:
:rules: It's not a question of PARANOIA, EEllis....it's your CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT under the 4th Amendment.
What not to have people watching how you use their stuff? It was the IT department checking out a turned in laptop that got nervous when there were bomb making searches. Big shock they mentioned it to the cops. It makes no sense to believe that would be a constitutional violation. If fact that anyone even tried to make such an argument is amazing. I'm not feeding into the absurdity I'm done with this crap.

Return to “Off-Topic”