Corona Virus (COVID-19)( SARS-CoV-2) from China: Its going to be bad.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 16

Re: Corona Virus (COVID-19) from China: Its going to be bad.

Post by Excaliber »

Dr. Fauci just estimated the mortality rate ofCOVID19 at 1% based on death stats and a wild guess at how many undiagnosed cases may be out there. This puts it at ten times as lethal as seasonal flue (on average). It's a lot more lethal for those of us in advanced years. Article here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 205

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Excaliber wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:34 pm Dr. Fauci just estimated the mortality rate ofCOVID19 at 1% based on death stats and a wild guess at how many undiagnosed cases may be out there. This puts it at ten times as lethal as seasonal flue (on average). It's a lot more lethal for those of us in advanced years. Article here.
If it worries you as much as your posts indicate, you should definitely stay at home. That is about the only "sure" way of avoiding it. It is no comparable death threat at all to young people and children.
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:23 am
Surgeon General: Coronavirus Less Deadly Than Normal Flu For Children And Young Adults
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... dults.html

03Lightningrocks

I keep hearing on the news about food places delivering food without you having to answer the door. This gives me a good laugh because you are still allowing total strangers to prepare your food. How on earth would you avoid the virus in this case? The crazy inconsistencies in this whole virus issue are just amazing. Personally, I have way more concern with my food being prepared by others than I do going to the grocery store.

seph
Posts in topic: 14

Post by seph »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:06 pm I keep hearing on the news about food places delivering food without you having to answer the door. This gives me a good laugh because you are still allowing total strangers to prepare your food. How on earth would you avoid the virus in this case? The crazy inconsistencies in this whole virus issue are just amazing. Personally, I have way more concern with my food being prepared by others than I do going to the grocery store.
You can have groceries delivered now (via Walmart and others) and have them leave it at the front door too. You could almost live your live without leaving your house now. Almost scary.
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

gtolbert09
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gtolbert09 »

Copied from a healthcare professional , extremely interesting.

Good read:
Coronavirus, Stanford Notes 3/8/20
The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can you know if you are infected? By the time you have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% fibrosis.

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning: Take a deep breath and hold it for more than 10 seconds. If you do this successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, there is no fibrosis in the lungs; it basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and then the lungs. That's very dangerous.

Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS:
1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold.
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees C. (About 77 degrees F.) It hates the Sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it goes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface, wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS:
1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs,
causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

03Lightningrocks

gtolbert09 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:49 pm Copied from a healthcare professional , extremely interesting.

THE SYMPTOMS:
1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs,
causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.
That is some nasty stuff. Let's all just hope the warm weather puts a stop to it for a few months. That will give the medical community time to come up with treatments. I am wondering how many folks have already had it and/or have it and don't know. Especially younger people who are not as affected by it. With all the new tests being done we should know in a few weeks. meanwhile, I say don't panic. Use common sense and wash those hands often.

03Lightningrocks

seph wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:01 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:06 pm I keep hearing on the news about food places delivering food without you having to answer the door. This gives me a good laugh because you are still allowing total strangers to prepare your food. How on earth would you avoid the virus in this case? The crazy inconsistencies in this whole virus issue are just amazing. Personally, I have way more concern with my food being prepared by others than I do going to the grocery store.
You can have groceries delivered now (via Walmart and others) and have them leave it at the front door too. You could almost live your live without leaving your house now. Almost scary.
True. I bet you can even order huge supplies of toilet paper on Amazon. :mrgreen: Unfortunately, I have to work and my work dictates going into several homes a day to service HVAC equipment. The cooling season is here and if I don't work, I make no money.

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 120

Post by Grayling813 »

CDC Recommends Anyone Over 60 Or Who Has Chronic Illnesses Stay Home
https://www.dailywire.com/news/cdc-reco ... stay-home/

Transcript - March 10th CDC Media Telebriefing: Update on COVID-19
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020 ... pdate.html
Thank you all for joining us today for this briefing to update you on CDC’s COVID-19 response. We’re joined by Nancy Messonnier, director of CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.
Dr. Messonnier is former Justice Dept. swamper Rod Rosenstein's sister. I'm sure she's above playing politics to damage her boss, unlike her brother.
Reports out of China that looked at more than 70,000 COVID-19 patients found that about 80% of illness had — was mild and people recovered. 15 to 20% developed serious illness. Let’s talk about who those people are. So far it seems like it’s not children. Of the 70,000 cases, only about 2% were in people younger than 19. This seems to be a disease that affects adults. And most seriously older adults. Starting at age 60, there is an increasing risk of disease and the risk increases with age. The highest risk of serious illness and death is in people older than 80 years. People with serious underlying health conditions also are more likely to develop serious outcomes including death. The people who are at greatest risk are those older and who also have serious long-term health conditions like diabetes, heart disease, or lung disease. Last week CDC added guidance to our website for people who are at higher risk for serious illness. Our goal is to protect you. This will require you and your family to take action. I’d like to go through our recommendations for people at highest risk. Make sure you have supplies on hand like routine medications for blood pressure and diabetes. And over-the-counter medicines and medical supplies to treat fever and other symptoms. Have enough household items and groceries so that you will be prepared to stay home for a period of time. Take everyday precautions like avoiding close contact with people who are sick, cleaning your hands often, and to the extent possible, avoid touching high touch surfaces in public places. Avoid crowds especially in poorly ventilated spaces.
Last edited by Grayling813 on Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

striker55
Posts in topic: 8

Post by striker55 »

Houston rodeo shutdown!

Rafe
Posts in topic: 79

Post by Rafe »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:43 am Major events are being cancelled all over the country. Austin cancelled it's big music festival last week.
Yeppers. And not trying to one-up our capitol city over economic loss, but in terms of total attendance, the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo is about 6 times larger than SXSW.
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:08 pm I bet you can even order huge supplies of toilet paper on Amazon. :mrgreen:
Heh! Know what? I just checked and there's almost nothing available that qualified for Amazon Prime shipping. At least mostly nothing that actually looks like toilet paper. Seems you can get a decent price from Georgia Pacific on a 36-roll case of recycled, non-textured, no-center-tube commercial TP. I'm good at least a month. I think I'll pass on that wrapping-paper commercial stuff. :nono:
gtolbert09 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:49 pm Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning: Take a deep breath and hold it for more than 10 seconds. If you do this successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, there is no fibrosis in the lungs; it basically indicates no infection.
Ya know, I don't know if that really works. Supposedly, the WHO says that the holding-breath and sipping-water stuff is false. https://factcheck.afp.com/world-health- ... t-covid-19

But I held my breath while I read it anyway. :cheers2:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Excaliber »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:57 pm
Excaliber wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:34 pm Dr. Fauci just estimated the mortality rate ofCOVID19 at 1% based on death stats and a wild guess at how many undiagnosed cases may be out there. This puts it at ten times as lethal as seasonal flue (on average). It's a lot more lethal for those of us in advanced years. Article here.
If it worries you as much as your posts indicate, you should definitely stay at home. That is about the only "sure" way of avoiding it. It is no comparable death threat at all to young people and children.
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:23 am
Surgeon General: Coronavirus Less Deadly Than Normal Flu For Children And Young Adults
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... dults.html
That's exactly what I'm doing.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 40

Post by srothstein »

gtolbert09 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:49 pm 3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees C. (About 77 degrees F.) It hates the Sun.

I started to say that this makes most of us in South Texas safe. Already over 80 outside today.
gtolbert09 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:49 pm 7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
Then I saw this part. NO ICED TEA? Not gonna happen, sorry. We are doomed.

And then I saw the post where WHO says the earlier advice in the post on the self-check by holding your breath and the prevention by drinking water every 15 minutes were not valid. That makes me question everything else in the post.
Steve Rothstein

srothstein
Posts in topic: 40

Post by srothstein »

I just saw this article and immediately thought of this thread:

https://www.policemag.com/546241/utah-p ... 7579489b3z

If the link doesn't work, it is an article from Police magazine about a Utah police department that posted on Facebook asking people to stop stealing the toilet paper from the station. The last line was that cops need toilet paper too.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 571

Post by philip964 »

philip964 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:38 pm https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar ... 7b48e9ecf6

It’s now over 100,000 infections.

Italy and Iran have jumped. US at 240 now.

Deaths staying now at 3.4%.

https://www.wnd.com/2020/03/coronavirus ... f-isolate/

They believe they have found patient zero in Italy. Worked at a restaurant, was asked to self quarantine and didn’t.
That post was March 6, 2020.

Today March 11, 2020

Its now over 125,000 infections. US now at 1276. 4615 deaths worldwide. Italy at 12,462 infected.

A Covid-19 infected person attended the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Bar-B-Que Cook off attended by 76,000 people. I don't believe the person knew he was infected. He also had not traveled.

The Rodeo was cancelled today.

03Lightningrocks

I was at my neighborhood Walgreens and there was not only surplus rolls of toilet paper but it was on sale! Go figure. I mentioned it to the checker and he acknowledged he heard morons were buying up toilet paper at walmart and sams. Then he says to me, " I thought this was a lung virus, not a poop virus."

Maybe I should have bought all they had and sold it on Amazon.

Return to “Off-Topic”