FLAG burning being challenged by Trump

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Should flag burning be legal

yes
58%
no
35%
only by Hippies over the age of 50
6%

Total votes: 93

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 5

Re: FLAG burning being challenged by Trump

Post by anygunanywhere »

mr1337 wrote:I may not agree with what they say, but I will defend with my life their right to say it.
Not me. I would have before but not now. As society decays what comes out of some mouths and the actions some do does not rise to the level of free speech. The courts have profaned nearly everything good into something that doesn't even resemble freedom.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Liberty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Liberty »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
I believe that the thugs at Hampshire (I was thinking Amherst for some reason) burned an American flag that belonged to the college, so their actions are illegal, regardless. I thought this discussion was more on the question of whether it should be legal to burn an American flag that you personally own.
Although the First Amendment, may protect people burning their own flag. I see nothing wrong with capital punishment for those that burn someone else's flag without permission.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Daddio-on-patio
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

TreyHouston wrote:hillary supported the same think FYI

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/t ... ing-231920

"A 2005 bill that would have reinstituted a ban on flag burning was co-sponsored by Hillary Clinton, then a senator from New York. That legislation was unsuccessful."

for the record, I think there should be some crime attached to burning the American flag.
I kinda like the angle this writer went with:
http://www.infowars.com/trump-trolls-me ... y-clinton/
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

I really don't have an issue with Trump shooting his mouth off tweeting or in speeches. I know some don't see it as Presidential, but IMO it is sort of a refreshing change from other politicians who mouth off a bunch of non-committal nonsense that doesn't say anything. As long as I know the official decisions and laws are done with more consideration, I don't mind it.

In reality, all of us mouth off our opinions at times. Many times our initial thoughts are ill considered and come from frustration or anger. When we have to make a decision, we typically sit down and think it through more carefully.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

Seems like he is just expressing his opinion and that opinion happens to differ from that of SCOTUS. There are several issues with which I disagree with SCOTUS.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

mojo84 wrote:Seems like he is just expressing his opinion and that opinion happens to differ from that of SCOTUS. There are several issues with which I disagree with SCOTUS.
:iagree:
This.

I think that someone should have the right to burn the flag as long as they wrap themselves in it first. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Jusme wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Seems like he is just expressing his opinion and that opinion happens to differ from that of SCOTUS. There are several issues with which I disagree with SCOTUS.
:iagree:
This.

I think that someone should have the right to burn the flag as long as they wrap themselves in it first. JMHO
Or be willing to eat a knuckle sandwich.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 10

Post by parabelum »

pushpullpete wrote:
parabelum wrote:
TreyHouston wrote:SOOOOO..... Trump is saying that flag burning should be illegal and should come with 1 year imprisonment. Yes, it is established that it is a form of protected speech by the SCOTUS. The discussion is not about whether or not it is legal.

But what are your thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/29/politics/ ... index.html
I wonder where he got that thought...

18 U.S. Code § 700

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-20 ... sec700.htm
parabelum, good catch.
Although I learned many decades ago in Boy Scouts that there is only one reason to burn a flag, I'm embarassed to say
that I did not know that section of the code. Thank you. :tiphat: :tiphat:
:txflag: :patriot:

Well, it was struck down in 1990's in United States v. Eichman case, but that's I believe where Trump got the idea.

Not that it hasn't floated around before :biggrinjester:

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Interesting to me how we got to the point that destruction of property by burning is considered "speech".
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 10

Post by parabelum »

mojo84 wrote:Interesting to me how we got to the point that destruction of property by burning is considered "speech".
:iagree: 100%.

I thought it was just my ESL shortcoming, that I wasn't comprehending clearly :rules: . But, I'm not quite sure I understand, nor that I ever will, how an act of burning is equal to an act of speaking...and yes, I read opinions by legal scholars etc. how it's an act of dissent against the government...but it makes no sense to me at all.

I'm just simple I guess. When I speak then I speak. When I burn shrubs, I thought that was burning...or am I speaking then? :banghead:

Now I'm all confused.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Yeah, it's kind of like going out and setting fire to one's car or clothes or other personal item to protest the government. Guess we can try that and see how it works out. :mrgreen:

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

mojo84 wrote:Interesting to me how we got to the point that destruction of property by burning is considered "speech".
Good point! And what about those who toss the flag on the ground and stomp on it? Are we to consider that speech also? I was taught to revere the flag and treat that symbol with the utmost respect. I shudder to think what might happen were I to come across an act of flag desecration...
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Mxrdad
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Mxrdad »

Oh Boy. I think its safe to say that the ruling handed down by our SCOTUS is "the end". Thats it. Period. Nowhere to go higher than that. Settled. But if there were others sitting in on the SCOTUS, maybe they would have decided the other way around? Was it full of liberals when that decision came down? Can a new case be heard and a different ruling come down?

I am with others that think burning is not a form of free speech. Its disrespectful and a slap in the faces of those who have, and are, putting their lives on the line for our freedoms. I wish it was illegal but we all know that will never happen. What would Trump do if that somehow becomes law? I would bet that would incite riots and more flag-burners than the jails could hold. And the next day, there would be even more. Then the threat of jail over flag burning would be hollow and will bite him in the rear. Its a shame in my opinion but what can ya do? Too bad they couldnt figure a way to issue citations for it and at least get some revenue from it. Just my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.
Just some guy's opinion.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

parabelum wrote:Burning the flag of this Nation for which so many died is not speech. Rather, it is an physical act to provoke and incite violence.
Billboards and carrying signs are physical acts, but they are essentially speech.

Also, if you assume that somebody's flag burning is to provoke and incite violence, you open yourself to others making the same mistaken assumption/claim about your exercise of your 2nd Amendment rights. I wouldn't go there.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Return to “Off-Topic”