I-45 On-Ramp (Gulf Fwy)

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Bullitt
Posts in topic: 15

Re: I-45 On-Ramp (Gulf Fwy)

Post by Bullitt »

magicglock wrote:Uh...I believe you started this earlier with "If I'm going 80 on a 65 speed limit road...".
Read the whole dialog Jethro.

Everybody is going 80. You go with the flow of traffic or you wind up causing an accident. However, a few ambitious guys who want to up the tempo to 90 or 100 don't have the right to put everybody else in danger by slaloming through traffic. I wish going 65 even in the right lane were a possible solution. It's not.

ffemt300
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ffemt300 »

Abraham wrote:Texas, where folks drive friendly, don't they?

My rage is limited to the T.V. - which I feel fully justified in talking back to without repercussion.
:thumbs2: :txflag:

tonzofphun
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tonzofphun »

Left lane for passing only

If "everyone" is going 80, there is no passing that is taking place since they are traveling at the same speed. Therefore, none of the 80mph drivers should be in the left lane.

Topic author
Bullitt

Post by Bullitt »

tonzofphun wrote:Left lane for passing only

If "everyone" is going 80, there is no passing that is taking place since they are traveling at the same speed. Therefore, none of the 80mph drivers should be in the left lane.
Duh. They shouldn't be going 80 either.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

OK folks, drop the arguing and discuss civilly or the thread will be locked.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

chuck j
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chuck j »

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> THREAD RAGE !!!!! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< LOL !

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Black & white traffic signs are regulatory, i.e. the law. "Slower Traffic Keep Right" and "Left Lane for Passing Only" signs are B&W - the law, regardless of how fast you are going. Your opinion of others conduct doesn't matter either. I'll obey the law, and don't worry what others are doing.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

tonzofphun

Post by tonzofphun »

:iagree:

Topic author
Bullitt

Post by Bullitt »

oohrah wrote:Black & white traffic signs are regulatory, i.e. the law.
Speed limit signs are in black & white.

brainman
Posts in topic: 9

Post by brainman »

Bullitt wrote:
oohrah wrote:Black & white traffic signs are regulatory, i.e. the law.
Speed limit signs are in black & white.
So you're happy to break both the speed law and the passing lane law, but you're going to get mad at people who exceed the speed limit more than you like? And before you start telling us how they weave around you, remember that they wouldn't be weaving around you if you weren't sitting in the passing lane.

magicglock

Post by magicglock »

Bullitt wrote:
magicglock wrote:Uh...I believe you started this earlier with "If I'm going 80 on a 65 speed limit road...".
Read the whole dialog Jethro.

Everybody is going 80. You go with the flow of traffic or you wind up causing an accident. However, a few ambitious guys who want to up the tempo to 90 or 100 don't have the right to put everybody else in danger by slaloming through traffic. I wish going 65 even in the right lane were a possible solution. It's not.
That was not very nice. I stand corrected, courtesy is not contagious.

tonzofphun

Post by tonzofphun »

I obey the law. If another driver is breaking the law by speeding or dwelling in the left lane while not passing other vehicles, the most I can do is to be a good witness and report it. I have no obligation or powers to enforce the law upon others as a standard citizen.

Topic author
Bullitt

Post by Bullitt »

magicglock wrote:That was not very nice. I stand corrected, courtesy is not contagious.
Okay, I take back the Jethro part, but you weren't being courteous either. Nor have a few other responders here, none of whom I "threw the first punch" to. Let's move on.

The point is that law states the speed limit is 65 mph on Beltway 8. It is seldom that in either lane. Even at the brisk clip of 80 mph, there are speeders, weavers, and tailgaters who want to go faster. Doing 65 mph in the right lane is not an option at certain times of the day. It causes anger in many drivers who get behind a 65'er. I see this everyday between I-45 and Hwy 59 on Beltway 8. Drivers are pushed into going 80 whether they like it or not. Drivers don't keep their distance either. They will camp on another car's rear while both are going 80. It's like NASCAR. Then someone up ahead does a lane change, a car brakes, then you have an accordion multi-car collision because there is no distance between cars. The lane change is usually caused by a slalom driver who speeds, weaves, and tailgates. He's insistent on going faster then the flow of traffic. This is more prevalent in the sections where the Beltway has only two lanes, like between I-45 and Hwy 59. There was an accident like this almost everyday, so I changed my departure time from 0615, to 0530. Guess what? The traffic at the earlier time is even faster. This is because there are less cars slowing down the pace. However, there is enough space for passing on the left, so if I am in the right lane, cars can pass easily on the left. I also ride with a 9500ix. These cars passing me at 90 will blow right past a constable. I know the constable has his radar on because my detector picks it up, yet they still don't pull over these speeders. It appears that all the constables want to do is clear the wrecks off of the freeways quickly. Then after passing Hwy 59 the traffic gets slightly more responsible, this is because on Beltway 8 between Hwy 59 and the Westheimer toll plaza there is a known speed trap. I do not believe it is the constables who patrol this section and give out the tickets. I think it is Bellaire police or some other department.

In any case, everybody is in a hurry, and as illustrated in this thread, they have their own concepts of what is right and wrong. Like in my first post, the pickup truck driver thinks he's right, the Lexus driver thinks he's right. The pickup driver pulls a gun. He probably still thinks he was right, and by the way, he was passing on the right to get in front of the Lexus.And just for the record, passing on the right is illegal if the car in front you is doing the speed limit. This is because that car in front may also be trying to pass but is doing so at the posted speed limit.

brainman
Posts in topic: 9

Post by brainman »

Bullitt wrote:And just for the record, passing on the right is illegal if the car in front you is doing the speed limit. This is because that car in front may also be trying to pass but is doing so at the posted speed limit.
Wrong.

Topic author
Bullitt

Post by Bullitt »

brainman wrote:
Bullitt wrote:And just for the record, passing on the right is illegal if the car in front you is doing the speed limit. This is because that car in front may also be trying to pass but is doing so at the posted speed limit.
Wrong.
No, that is correct.

Return to “Off-Topic”