Sam's Wifi blocks Texas CHL Forum

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Sam's Wifi blocks Texas CHL Forum

Post by howdy »

I was at Sams's in Katy enjoying a gourmet hot dog combo and browsing the internet. I tried to log into this web site and it was blocked. I went to "settings" and noticed that my iphone had automatically logged into Sam's WiFi. I turned it off and I could now access the CHL web site. I turned WiFi back on and the web site was again blocked. I forget the exact wording but it said something like "this web site is blocked by the owner of this WiFi". Has this been something Sam's has always done or is this new?
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Sam's Wifi blocks Texas CHL Forum

Post by Dave2 »

<Speculation>I think a lot of businesses don't want to deal with keeping their own list of "inappropriate" sites, and have started subscribing to blocking services. Those services tend to use a "blanket" approach based on keywords because it's easier.</Speculation>
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I'm absolutely shocked!

I had no idea Sam's had WiFi. :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

Yup. This site doesn't actually have any meta tag keywords enabled, but the keyword density is high enough around the term "guns" that it would be blocked as the blocking services use that type of analysis to set the filter thresholds. Unfortunately this is nothing new -- a Google search will show that at least as of 2013 that KFC, Taco Bell, Wendy's all were doing the same blocking on gun related sites.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Distinguished Rick

Post by Distinguished Rick »

Non issue for me. I go to Sam's to buy stuff, not use their wifi.
CHL holder since 1996.
USMC Shooting Team 1985 - 1988
Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
"People sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

F350-6

Post by F350-6 »

Sorry for the dumb question, but do phones normally just log onto a wifi connection without any prompts? I don't have an I phone, but I didn't think they did that.

I keep my wifi turned off because I heard it improves battery life. Don't really know a lot about it, but don't like the idea of the phone just connecting to whatever it wants to on it's own.

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

F350-6 wrote:Sorry for the dumb question, but do phones normally just log onto a wifi connection without any prompts? I don't have an I phone, but I didn't think they did that.

I keep my wifi turned off because I heard it improves battery life. Don't really know a lot about it, but don't like the idea of the phone just connecting to whatever it wants to on it's own.
It does depend to some degree on your phone settings. You should be able to select something for asking or not asking to join known networks, and if you select no (or not on) then you will automatically join known networks. But you most likely won't have a Sam's public wifi as a known network, so you shouldn't likely join automatically. About turning your wifi off...if you're worried about battery life you're probably impacted more by location services being on, or anything that uses the GPS like mapping software, or your bluetooth can drain heavily. But just by having your cell service on and not in airplane mode your phone is connecting all the time.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

There are a lot of places like that. You cannot go o a firearms site but you can go to gay sites or anti firearm sites. I was at a place the other day and couldn't go to any gun sites. I did a search in gay sites and had a bunch of access. It would also let me view the MDA site.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Pawpaw wrote:I'm absolutely shocked!

I had no idea Sam's had WiFi. :lol:
I think it is a new thing. The WalMart here in Polson has a sign on the door, FREE WIFI.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Glockster wrote:
F350-6 wrote:Sorry for the dumb question, but do phones normally just log onto a wifi connection without any prompts? I don't have an I phone, but I didn't think they did that.

It does depend to some degree on your phone settings. You should be able to select something for asking or not asking to join known networks, and if you select no (or not on) then you will automatically join known networks. But you most likely won't have a Sam's public wifi as a known network, so you shouldn't likely join automatically. About turning your wifi off...if you're worried about battery life you're probably impacted more by location services being on, or anything that uses the GPS like mapping software, or your bluetooth can drain heavily. But just by having your cell service on and not in airplane mode your phone is connecting all the time.
If you're using data on your phone, turning off wifi reduces your battery. At least on an iPhone.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

The Walmart WiFi in Polson allows Texas CHL Forum....if anybody cares.

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

Security experts suggest not allowing any internet access except at known security-enabled WIFII locations. It is said that many commercial "free" WIFII servers are totally vulnerable to both illegal data mining by outside parties as well as "fishing" by the free commercial site owners. Most devices have an option that will ask your permission before logging into these servers. If you have any financial logon data in your device, I would restrict access entirely.

Or any pictures you don't want to see go viral! :eek6
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I wonder if they also block Costco.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Off-Topic”